[0.14] Reactors & Atomic Locomotives

Topics and discussion about specific mods
Gnomical
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: [0.14] Reactors & Atomic Locomotives

Post by Gnomical »

GotLag wrote:Do you have a limit on your water inlet pumps? If you let the reactor fill completely then the cold water from the cooling towers can't re-enter the reactor, so the cooling towers back up.
Good suggestion, I set up the intake pumps to pump only when the water is less than 400, but it still overheated. I changed it to 300, still overheats. I took a short video, maybe this will explain it better.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/327 ... -11-29.mp4

GotLag
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by GotLag »

Ah, I see your problem. You need to wire up the red input pumps and set the "Water < 400" circuit condition, not the blue ones. The blue pumps from the cooling towers to the reactor should always be active. What the red pumps do is occasionally inject fresh water into the return leg of two of the cooling towers, as cooling towers return slightly less water than they receive.

Gnomical
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Gnomical »

GotLag wrote:Ah, I see your problem. You need to wire up the red input pumps and set the "Water < 400" circuit condition, not the blue ones. The blue pumps from the cooling towers to the reactor should always be active. What the red pumps do is occasionally inject fresh water into the return leg of two of the cooling towers, as cooling towers return slightly less water than they receive.
OK, I've changed it so only the red pumps are pumping if the water is less than 400, with the others always pumping. It still however overheats.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/327 ... -04-27.png

GotLag
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by GotLag »

You've not got the cooling towers connected properly. Each tower takes water pumped directly from the reactor, and the water is returned directly to the reactor:

Gnomical
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Gnomical »

GotLag wrote:You've not got the cooling towers connected properly. Each tower takes water pumped directly from the reactor, and the water is returned directly to the reactor:
Ah ha! I am silly. That did it, I missed that those were undergrounds so I interpreted it wrong! Purring like a radioactive kitten now, thanks a bunch :)

Redstylt
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Redstylt »

Hey guys :)
I'm looking for a really good pattern ?
Someone can share his one ? with full explain plz :D

Thanks you

Note : i'm using flow control mod and angel and bob's
Just a big fan of Factorio and all its mods

komrade_toast
Inserter
Inserter

Post by komrade_toast »

Hey GotLag, I've been trying out your Atomic Locomotives mod, and I think I noticed an issue:

My Atomic Locomotive can run with absolutely no fuel, just nothing in the equipment grid. I don't know what is causing it. I use the Vehicle Equipment Grids mod, so maybe that could have something to do with it, but I doubt it. If there was some sort of log I could upload for you I would, but there isn't.

I also had a few questions about Atomic Locomotives. Mainly, will adding extra RTGs to a locomotive make it accellerate faster? I noticed the energy consumption of one atomic locomotive is 1.2MW, yet the energy output from the RTGs is 75kW, unless I'm just having a dull moment, wouldn't this mean that one atomic locomotive would require 16 RTGs to fully power?

GotLag
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by GotLag »

That's how it's supposed to work. The power is 1.2 MW, and it requires 16 RTGs to craft. No extra equipment is needed.

komrade_toast
Inserter
Inserter

Post by komrade_toast »

GotLag wrote:That's how it's supposed to work. The power is 1.2 MW, and it requires 16 RTGs to craft. No extra equipment is needed.
Ahhh, okay, I see now. It must have been the Vehicle Equipment Grid mod throwing me off, I thought I NEEDED to put RTGs IN the equipment grid (like the electric vehicles mod). Well... I guess now I have to find something to do with all the RTGs I put in my trains, haha. Thanks for the info.

EDIT: Now I know why I couldn't keep up on Plutonium production as well - I was making WAY too many RTGs.

Redstylt
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Redstylt »

GotLag do you have any tutorial updated ? or video ? to explain

GotLag
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by GotLag »

To explain what?

komrade_toast
Inserter
Inserter

Post by komrade_toast »

Redstylt wrote:GotLag do you have any tutorial updated ? or video ? to explain
What exactly is needed to be explained? I will gladly try and answer your question(s).

Redstylt
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Redstylt »

To make a setup to have full of energy ^^
I'm really bad about logic but i need lots of power ^^
I'm trying to make the example of the first post but i dont know what to put in logic :/

Question :
How do you do this "The input pumps (left and right, from offshore pumps), are active when the reactor has <400 water (80% full)." ? I find :D
But my reactor is always in shutting down :/
Input pumps are Water<400
turbine pumps are cyan signal = 1
cool tower pump is shutting down =1
right comparater is core temp > 160 giving shutting down=1
left comparater is core temp >105 giving cyan signal =1

Commander Gizmo
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Commander Gizmo »

I am really liking this mod. Thanks for the hard work you put into it.

I would like to suggest that it really is far too easy to run the reactors. I want to imagine that there is a real danger if the reactor were to overheat or if the coolant were to be unavailable after shutdown such as with the real thing. However, this mod really is completely safe with pretty much zero risk. I'd like to suggest a higher danger factor. Could you release a version or option to remove the automatic safety shutdown and add some dangerous effects if the heat is not dealt with? I'd like to see the reactor begin to take damage after getting too hot, with it eventually being destroyed and releasing fire all around it. Perhaps it could keep respawning the fire for some time to simulate the melted core. It would also naturally put out a massive plume of pollution during the explosion. Perhaps even ramping up from a small pollution leak as the reactor takes damage up to the massive release at death.

In real life the reactors pose the largest threat because of the requirement for actively powered cooling pumps even after shutdown. Factorio's heat simulation seems to make it difficult to extend the time it takes to remove the heat from the reactor, but it would be nice if the reactor would threaten an overheat for a while even after being shutdown. Having to build a proper backup system to keep the pumps running in the event of an emergency would be a great requirement for this mod, though I'm not sure the best way to balance that vs getting what is essentially free power in the game after the reactor is shutdown.

I guess I'm just craving some real and present danger that I can mange through careful planning and programming of the circuit signals. This type of setup would also allow you to try and push the envelope to get more out of the reactor depending on how much risk you want to take. What do you think?

komrade_toast
Inserter
Inserter

Post by komrade_toast »

Redstylt wrote:To make a setup to have full of energy ^^
I'm trying to make the example of the first post but i dont know what to put in logic :/

Question :
How do you do this "The input pumps (left and right, from offshore pumps), are active when the reactor has <400 water (80% full)." ? I find :D

Well, in the example you show above, you are having a throughput issue with your water. You won't be able to force all the water for the reactor through the one input pipe. That is why in all the examples you see there is 6 offshore pumps, and they are built right next to the reactor. Water loses pressure the longer your pipes are, so given that you have on input pipe, and it looks to be quite long, it boils down to the fact that your reactor is simply not being supplied enough water.
As far as I can tell, your circuit conditions look correct.

GotLag
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by GotLag »

Shit, I need to update that reactor example when I get home from work tonight. That dates from before I changed the scramming icon and added the shutdown command.

Redstylt
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Redstylt »

komrade_toast wrote:
Redstylt wrote:To make a setup to have full of energy ^^

Question :

Well, in the example you show above, you are having a throughput issue with your water. You won't be able to force all the water for the reactor through the one input pipe. That is why in all the examples you see there is 6 offshore pumps, and they are built right next to the reactor. Water loses pressure the longer your pipes are, so given that you have on input pipe, and it looks to be quite long, it boils down to the fact that your reactor is simply not being supplied enough water.
As far as I can tell, your circuit conditions look correct.
I put 3 pumps a input ;) they are just on the right side (like less than 10 blocs). So i have really enough pressure i think ^^
So the trouble not coming from that :/
Example is updated ?

GotLag
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by GotLag »

No, it's not updated yet. The signal you want to use for the cooling pumps and combinator is the overheat indicator (red thermometer on red background).

Malryn
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Malryn »

Never knew managing power could get be so complicated and fun. This mode does it!

Is it possible to set the reactor to switch between breeder cycle and regular cycle depending on a combinator variable?

Lemlin
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Lemlin »

I had a great setup, it worked from the early game until the point I am right now. The nthe power went down, the pumps stopped working and the reatcors stopped as it got overheated.
After several attempts to create a design which was able to power itself from an extra engine (or similar designs) I gave up and used solars instead. The result is this:
It´s tilable and it produce more energy than it consume, so any new adjacent setup(s) can use the extra power to start up without having to wait for the power to buffer.
It can probably even power water pumps, but I haven´t tried that one yet.

My base can now start producing stuff again :) :)

Return to “Mods”