What does FPS depends on? Map size? Robots?

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
KAA
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

What does FPS depends on? Map size? Robots?

Post by KAA »

Hi! Tried to find the answer by search but didn't succeed. If I missed - please throw a link to be and close this one.

Story is the following: A have a set of 80-140h maps I played and some of them have fps ~2-4, however some have 24+.
And on the map I want to spend more time I usually do not build radars and do not discover much territory to save CPU. Also I try not to leave a lot of monsters outside the base to minimize CPU time on them.
But I don't know if I'm doing right.
Also I have one map with about 4000 robots running and FPS is ok (of course they run outside the screen). This surprises me.

So, my questions are:
1) if I discover a lot of space ( assuming monsters are rare) will my FPS drop?
2) If I have space discovered but base is relatively small so monsters grow and grow and there will probably be millions of them - will my fps drop?
3) If I have robots in background ( i don't see them) - do the make my fps lower or not? If I want to maximize it, for example, should I avoid remote mining with roboports and replace them with belts?
4) what else do I need to take into account? How should most FPS-able )))) map look like?

If it matters, my PC is an old Core i5 notebook with integrated video. Graphics already setup for best performance in system and in game.
Attachments
2016-12-06 19_07_12-System.png
2016-12-06 19_07_12-System.png (4.65 KiB) Viewed 2469 times

impetus maximus
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: What does FPS depends on? Map size? Robots?

Post by impetus maximus »

is your Intel graphics driver current? i have Intel 3000 graphics (9.17.10.4229 driver) and i get 60FPS even on busy maps.
FPS only dips (50's) with lots of trees, or if there is lots of smoke. made a custom 4:3 aspect ratio (1440x1080) to help with FPS.
performance setting didn't do anything for me and made textures look like crap.

KAA
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by KAA »

When FPS drop caused by video - it's noticeable. Drivers are ok, I'm playing 1366x768 when on notebook and 1600x900 with external monitor.
Performance is great 99% of time. But I have some maps where FPS goes below 20 about 50 of time. I see this is CPU and not video. And I wonder what makes this effect.

P.S.: to others who interested, I discovered that CPU improved greatly if browsers are closed, and closing Skype also gives a little boost.

impetus maximus
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by impetus maximus »

drivers are ok? what driver are you using? the less you have running in the background the better. skype is a horrible resource hog.
also make sure your laptop is getting air to it's fans. thermal throttling can affect CPU speed.

a good boost of FPS if you create a custom resolution with a 4:3 aspect ratio. 1024x768 for the laptop,or 1200x900 for the monitor.
right click intel graphics tray icon. advanced mode, custom resolutions, basic, set your width& height, refresh rate 60, color depth 32, click add.
then change your screen resolution. doing this gave me a big boost in FPS in heavily forested areas in Factorio.
you could lower the screen resolution but it's gets fuzzy.

KAA
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by KAA »

Drivers are definitely ok. The goal of my question was to understand which map properties make the most influence on performance of the Factorio.

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Loewchen »

FPS can never exceed the UPS, so if both values are the same, then you are limited by CPU performance. You can see what is costing the most frame time by activating show_time_used_percent in the debug settings (F4 > F5). In general belts, inserter and machines are taxing the most.

KAA
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by KAA »

Thanks a lot! This answers my question.
However my investigation showed that also a lot of robots slows down the game (obviously) and, what surprised me the most - a lot of radars.
If I put about 300 radars near my perimeter - game runs ve-e-ery slowly and this is constantly, even when they are not visible on the screen.

Return to “Technical Help”