[Idea] Limited Water Supply

This is the place to request new mods or give ideas about what could be done.
Ayamari
Inserter
Inserter

[Idea] Limited Water Supply

Post by Ayamari »

Hi!

I woke up this morning asking myself this question:
Why is water supply unlimited?

Water should run out, just like everything else. Wouldn't it be cool if it did? It would add to the challenge!
- You would have to search for new sources of water, just like for the other resources
- Water would no longer be a permanent, impenetrable defence line
- You would have to store water, and deliver it to where you need it - a water tank train maybe? :D
- You would have to actually look after the power supply rather than just adding more engines and pumps

Here's how it could work:
- When you generate the map, each body of water gets assigned a limited supply, based on the number of water and deep water tiles it contains
- Water pumps use up the supply, the more pumps, the faster you run out
- As the amount of water in the body gets lower, deep water tiles get replaced with water tiles, and water tiles get replaced with grass or desert tiles, making it smaller
- As the body of water gets smaller and tiles get replaced, the pumps stop working and you have to move them and assess potential biter threat when the pool depletes

Would this be possible? :roll:

A simpler (and less cool :P) alternative could be to just remove water as we have it right now, and replace with something that works like oil.
Or we could have both, depleting bodies of water AND oil-like water patches.

I think it would be really fun and extra challenging if water would actually be a limited supply, what do you think?
Thanks!

aubergine18
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [Idea] Limited Water Supply

Post by aubergine18 »

A mod exists for this but needs updating for 0.14: viewtopic.php?f=94&t=14506

Also, from vague memory of when I looked at the source code of that mod, it's not very performant and could start to cause significant lag if used lots.
Better forum search for modders: Enclose your search term in quotes, eg. "font_color" or "custom-input" - it prevents the forum search from splitting on hypens and underscores, resulting in much more accurate results.

Ayamari
Inserter
Inserter

Re: [Idea] Limited Water Supply

Post by Ayamari »

Awesome! Thanks for the link! :D

Return to “Ideas and Requests For Mods”