ModMyFactory - mod manager and more

Tools for search and installing new mods as well as starting Factorio.
For dedicated server handling see Multiplayer Tools
draziel
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: ModMyFactory - mod manager and more

Post by draziel »

Nice ! Thanks ! I'll be able to reinstall all my mods =)

Artentus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Version 1.3.0 released

Post by Artentus »

This release does not add any new features but improves a lot of existing features:
  • The mod list fetched from mods.factorio.com is now cached and not redownloaded every time you open the list.
    You can refresh the list manually by pressing the corresponding button.
  • ModMyFactory now offers you to store your login credentials on your hard drive.
  • All mods/modpacks can now be activated/deactivated at once using the checkboxes at the top.
  • Network errors should now be handled properly.
    This also includes the application not crashing at startup when not connected to the internet.

Artentus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Version 1.3.1 released

Post by Artentus »

• Improved high DPI scaling in .Net 4.6 and above.
  • Fixed toolbar buttons not being square.
  • Added link to wiki (comming soon).

Frnn
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Frnn »

Can you add a backup feature so before any changes are made, it backs up to a set directory? While this was setting up files, my hard drive reached it's maximum and I lost all my saves. I'm editing this because when I first made it I was salty about losing them and just took all the blame out on the mod manager, but the backup feature would be nice. :)

ltl_king
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by ltl_king »

I keep getting a crash on startup.
I tried different situations on how to open the program by moving the files somewhere else. With/without factorio open.

Artentus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Artentus »

Frnn wrote:While this was setting up files, my hard drive reached it's maximum and I lost all my saves.
Sorry for that but I hope you understand why I won't be checking for that. Set the Factorio and mod locations to another hard drive that has some free space in the settings.

For a backup feature - I am not so sure.
I think it's best to let the user create the backup themselves because this way nothing can fail. If something goes wrong with the program there is a chance that the backup will not have worked either and everything is gone anyway, however the user will most likely not have created a manual backup because they trust the mod manager in creating one and proceed to blame it for the loss.

ltl_king wrote:I keep getting a crash on startup.
Please post your crash log. It is located in %AppData%\ModMyFactory.

Artentus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Version 1.3.2 released

Post by Artentus »

This release improves the search algorithm.
You can now also search for authors and there is a sligh amount of tolerance in what results are shown (so for example typos should now usually still yield the correct results).

Please note that my algorithm is not perfect, don't expect results in Google quality. It can behave kind of funky in some situations, try to type out at least one word to make the results accurate.

Arumba
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Arumba »

Trying out your steam version integration, ran into a crash - see attached crashlog.txt.

What I am trying to get for my own personal preference here, is the ability to have various packs that I can toggle between on a single factorio installation. I always play with the newest experimental build. I have been using your app for about a week now and it nearly does everything I want (though 1.3.0 was crashing while trying to do mod updates). I have noticed that if there is a new version of Factorio available and I allow the program itself to do its autoupdate, the folder names do not get updated in modmyfactory the next time I run it. So I will have a folder calling itself 0.14.18 for example even though the actual contents are 0.14.19. I don't really want to maintain multiple 500Mb installations of various versions, but it sort of bugs me that the folder name isn't accurate, so I feel compelled to download a new zip version each time and have modmyfactory add that instead so that it is accurate. Then I have to delete the old version.

I was hoping using my steam install would solve that since the steam version has an option to always opt into the newest experimental build, but now I get this crash when I try to run the app (1.3.2).

I have tried changing the settings to 'global' mode, hoping to just maintain the one folder installation, but it doesn't seem to work as I expected it to.

Anything you can do to help me understand and/or get what I'm looking for is greatly appreciated. I am still intending to make a video about the app once I feel 100% confident in how to use it for my goals, so I really appreciate all the effort you have been putting into developing it.

-Arumba

Edit: I was able to work around the crash by manually editing the settings.json file in %appdata% and changing to these:

Code: Select all

"FactorioDirectoryOption": 0,
"ModDirectoryOption": 0,
from these:

"FactorioDirectoryOption": 2,
"ModDirectoryOption": 2,
I think the issue is that I was using only a single game version, the steam option, and also telling the app to try to put the game version into a directory elsewhere. I'm not really sure.

Also, I am running into an issue that I am mostly certain is related to modmyfactory. Since I have been messing with this a lot in the last half hour, I have been opening and closing the app. I noticed when trying to migrated from 1.3 to 1.3.2 that there were still processes running that were preventing me from deleting files. I checked task manager and found this: http://imgur.com/a/lTxHQ

Why are there so many of these processes running? Why aren't they being terminated when I close the app?
Attachments
crash-log.txt
(1.58 KiB) Downloaded 155 times

Artentus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Artentus »

Arumba wrote:the ability to have various packs that I can toggle between on a single factorio installation.
That is perfectly possible.
Arumba wrote:1.3.0 was crashing while trying to do mod updates
This should have been resolved with 1.3.1, however there may still be some problems that I just recently found out about which will be fixed for 1.3.3.
Arumba wrote:allow the program itself to do its autoupdate
Thats not supposed to work and I see no way how I could make this work.
For now, the intended way to update is to just download the newest version, which should not bee too problematic thanks to the integrated download feature, and then delete the old one (which is possible from within ModMyFactory aswell, btw.). However I do realize this could be a bit more straight forward. There will be an 'update' button in the version manager from 1.3.3 and onwards.
Arumba wrote:I was hoping using my steam install would solve that
It will, the Steam version can and should be updated through Steam only.
Arumba wrote:Anything you can do to help me understand and/or get what I'm looking for is greatly appreciated.
You seem to not be the only one who doesn't quite understand my program. Im am currently in the progress of creating a wiki documenting the entirety of ModMyFactory but it will take some more time until I can finish it.
Arumba wrote:I think the issue is
I'm not so sure what the issue is, I will have to run that through the debugger. At the moment the crash log does not make any sense to me.
Arumba wrote:I checked task manager and found this:
This is ... interesting.
I am using mklink commands to create all the directory junctions. Apparently this behaves differently than I expected.

jacobraven
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by jacobraven »

getting this error after linking steam version?

System.ArgumentNullException: Value cannot be null.
Parameter name: window
   at System.Windows.Interop.WindowInteropHelper..ctor(Window window)
   at System.Windows.MessageBox.Show(Window owner, String messageBoxText, String caption, MessageBoxButton button, MessageBoxImage icon)
   at ModMyFactory.App.<.ctor>b__21_0(Object sender, DispatcherUnhandledExceptionEventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.CatchException(Exception e)
   at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(Object source, Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs, Delegate catchHandler)
   at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.InvokeImpl()
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
   at MS.Internal.CulturePreservingExecutionContext.Run(CulturePreservingExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
   at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.Invoke()
   at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.ProcessQueue()
   at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.WndProcHook(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled)
   at MS.Win32.HwndWrapper.WndProc(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled)
   at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.DispatcherCallbackOperation(Object o)
   at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs)
   at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(Object source, Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs, Delegate catchHandler)

Artentus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Artentus »

This is exactly the same chrash Arumba is getting.
I am working on it but it will take some more time till the next release, a lot of things have stacked up again.

The funny thing about this crash is that it crashed while displaying the crash message (Yo dawg :D). Because of that the original chrash is not logged.

Artentus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Version 1.3.3 released

Post by Artentus »

Initially I had some other things planned for this release but my todo list stacked up too much.
  • ModMyFactory will no longer start cmd processes.
  • Fixed error message falsely being displayed when mod is not available on mod portal.
  • Fixed possible crash when displaying the crash message.
  • Further improved the search algorithm.
  • Fixed possible crash when moving folders.

Arumba
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Arumba »

Minor suggestion, the interface itself is really slick yet sometimes when you have the app open fullscreen it is hard to see which mod belongs to which "x" if you are trying to remove them from a pack. On the modlist it highlights the selected mod, but not in the packlist, it seems to highlight all the mods in the pack at once. I would suggest either doing very thin lines, like excel would look, or possibly an excel table's style where you have alternating subtle highlighting to differentiate the lines. That or the ability to right click -delete instead of finding the X would be really nice.

Current version seems very stable btw, I've been using it and haven't had any issues.

TrevorLaneRay
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by TrevorLaneRay »

Arumba wrote:...the ability to right click -delete instead of finding the X would be really nice.
I second this. ^u^
Definitely would make my life so much simpler.

Artentus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Artentus »

Thanks for the feedback.
Arumba wrote:when you have the app open fullscreen it is hard to see which mod belongs to which "x" if you are trying to remove them from a pack.
I will see what I can do about this. Highlighting seems to be the most straightforward approach as a context menu would be kind of difficult to implement in this situation.
Arumba wrote:Current version seems very stable btw, I've been using it and haven't had any issues.
Does this include your former issue with selecting your Steam version?
I was not sure if this issue was resolved because I was not able to reproduce it (however I'm making slight improvements to existing code almost every release so I could just have fixed it "by accident").

Arumba
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Arumba »

Artentus wrote:Thanks for the feedback.
Arumba wrote:when you have the app open fullscreen it is hard to see which mod belongs to which "x" if you are trying to remove them from a pack.
I will see what I can do about this. Highlighting seems to be the most straightforward approach as a context menu would be kind of difficult to implement in this situation.
Arumba wrote:Current version seems very stable btw, I've been using it and haven't had any issues.
Does this include your former issue with selecting your Steam version?
I was not sure if this issue was resolved because I was not able to reproduce it (however I'm making slight improvements to existing code almost every release so I could just have fixed it "by accident").
Yes, again I believe the issue was that I had launched the app and then set a new location to save my files (my data drive). I originally wanted to put all mods and installations of factorio versions there to keep my operating drive out of high volume usage of multiple factorio installations. Then, realizing that updating the game wouldn't properly keep the versions in their correct folders, I tried to use the steam version.

That's when the issue happened, when I told it to use my steam install (on my operating drive). I think it was trying to move the files from the steam directory to the data drive because of the settings I had used earlier, and for some reason it wasn't allowed to do that. And then the app would crash on load every single time until I would manually go into the settings file and UNSET the options to move the directories to a new location.

That is where I would look for your bug.

o7

Artentus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Artentus »

That's exactly what I did.
I changed the location in the settings to some other location with the 'Select' option. I then selected my Steam version and everything worked as expected, no chrash, no misbehaviour, nothing.
However, this is also kin of what I expected because I have no idea what could have caused this chrash. ModMyFactory does not touch the files of the Steam version at all because that would break Steam, so nothing is moved and therefore the operation should be unrelated to the location set in the settings.

Anyway, as you don't seem to have any issues anymore I will leave this be unless someone will report this again.

steinio
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by steinio »

Hello,

this app moves all mods to it's own folder - copying them would be enough. :annoyed:

Now i created some modpacks but the 'start game' option is greyed out,
How does it work?

OK i added my Steam version but on start the mods are not installed...

Greetings steinio

Transport Belt Repair Man

View unread Posts

Artentus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Artentus »

steinio wrote:copying them would be enough.
It would be rather pointless though as the old mod folder has to be deleted anyway.
steinio wrote:on start the mods are not installed
By not installed do you mean not activated or not recognized at all?
If it's the former you just have to activate them in ModMyFactory, if it's the latter make sure the mods are compatible with your version of Factorio.

acryinshame
Inserter
Inserter

Post by acryinshame »

If I save a mod-pack, and send that file to another person running the same version of your program. Are they able to auto download all the mods needed for the mod-pack? If not, I think that would be VERY helpful for spreading mod-packs.
ACryInShame
Image Image Image

Return to “Mod and installation managers”