Blueprint catalogue (instead of putting BPs in inventory)

Suggestions that have been added to the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

inthev01d
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Blueprint catalogue (instead of putting BPs in inventory)

Post by inthev01d »

First of all, let me congratulate on the awesomeness of Factorio - I can't remember staying up all night playing games (except for some LAN parties in my teen years), and this had me hooked for 12 hours straight when I first got it. :o

I hope this is not something that was already discussed, but the only thing somewhat similar I could find is this:
https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... int#p21932

Currently blueprints occupy a full slot in the inventory, like a car. Or a train. Or 64 wall segments. Or 256 electronic boards.
To declutter my inventory, I usually place the wooden chests I have left over from early game strategically next to modular factory parts and place the relevant blueprints there so I can extend them, e.g. a cell of solar panels + electric pole next to my solar farm, a modular furnace/belts/inserters cell next to smelting, a complete track, station, etc. combo with unloading and refueling next to the main train station and so on.
I also use chests as garbage cans for old blueprints I don't want anymore.

This is perfectly fine and I'm happy with it, but it feels strange to have a couple of blueprints take up so much space in the inventory (and sometimes I have to run/drive to the other side of the factory just to get some blueprint I forgot to bring).

So maybe a blueprint catalogue could be added next to the inventory? It could be simply another panel e.g. under the logistic slots panel and behave just like the inventory, but only hold blueprints.
(See attachment)

Again, thanks for creating this awesome game! It has already stolen countless precious hours from my life :-P

Greetings from Austria!
Attachments
BP_catalogue.png
BP_catalogue.png (424.94 KiB) Viewed 7875 times

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: Blueprint catalogue (instead of putting BPs in inventory

Post by kovarex »

Hello, the LAN parties and weekends are part of my history too, so I'm proud when you compare the time spent with Factorio with that :)

Both blueprint container and the blueprint slots seem like good idea, we will consider that.

P.S. Do you know that you can clear set blueprints by right click? (It costs one electronic circuit).

inthev01d
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by inthev01d »

Cool! :)
And I did not know that! Neat, thanks for the tip! Now that I know that I can simply update blueprints or even use temporary ones cleanly, my construction robot minions will probably have even more to do :)

Sedado77
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Sedado77 »

inthev01d wrote:First of all, let me congratulate on the awesomeness of Factorio - I can't remember staying up all night playing games (except for some LAN parties in my teen years), and this had me hooked for 12 hours straight when I first got it. :o

I hope this is not something that was already discussed, but the only thing somewhat similar I could find is this:
https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... int#p21932

Currently blueprints occupy a full slot in the inventory, like a car. Or a train. Or 64 wall segments. Or 256 electronic boards.
To declutter my inventory, I usually place the wooden chests I have left over from early game strategically next to modular factory parts and place the relevant blueprints there so I can extend them, e.g. a cell of solar panels + electric pole next to my solar farm, a modular furnace/belts/inserters cell next to smelting, a complete track, station, etc. combo with unloading and refueling next to the main train station and so on.
I also use chests as garbage cans for old blueprints I don't want anymore.

This is perfectly fine and I'm happy with it, but it feels strange to have a couple of blueprints take up so much space in the inventory (and sometimes I have to run/drive to the other side of the factory just to get some blueprint I forgot to bring).

So maybe a blueprint catalogue could be added next to the inventory? It could be simply another panel e.g. under the logistic slots panel and behave just like the inventory, but only hold blueprints.
(See attachment)

Again, thanks for creating this awesome game! It has already stolen countless precious hours from my life :-P

Greetings from Austria!
I LOVE the Idea, +1 it for life.
AND I love the place below the logistics slots for it. It feels right. That space was bound to be used by something, and I think we finally found out what!!!
:D

Tardan
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Tardan »

+1

Zequez
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Zequez »

Yes! And an option to make them "account wide", so in different save files you have access to all your saved blueprints. And a copy-able encoded string that you can copy and paste so we can share blueprints on the web! That would be amazing for the community!

Lukesleftleg
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Lukesleftleg »

Having a blueprint catalogue is a great idea.

But this.....
Zequez wrote:And a copy-able encoded string that you can copy and paste so we can share blueprints on the web!
This I really like. :)

sillyfly
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by sillyfly »

+1 .
I also wanted to suggest such a thing :)
One more functionality I think could be added into this "Blueprint catalog" is a "blueprint designer" - an option to open an existing or new blueprint to edit in a new ui, a bit like the map editor or sandbox mode, but with no terrain, and all (currently researched) items available.
This could help solve the "must have item to design blueprint" problem.

AssaultRaven
Inserter
Inserter

Post by AssaultRaven »

sillyfly wrote:+1 .
I also wanted to suggest such a thing :)
One more functionality I think could be added into this "Blueprint catalog" is a "blueprint designer" - an option to open an existing or new blueprint to edit in a new ui, a bit like the map editor or sandbox mode, but with no terrain, and all (currently researched) items available.
This could help solve the "must have item to design blueprint" problem.
I agree. I don't think it's unreasonable for the design tools available to the player character to be at least as sophisticated as those available to the player, which is to say, Factorio itself.

Once you get advanced electronics, I don't see why blueprints shouldn't be as easily edited, saved, and duplicated as any CAD or CMC file is in real life. I mean, I'm pretty sure that production engineer's don't order a new motherboard every time they think of a new way to arrange the floor robots, right? It's odd to be playing a game on a computer built possibly centuries before Factorio takes place, yet which is far more advanced than any of the games computers in that it has the Save As command.

Related idea: instead of having to build a computer out of smart inserters, there should just be some kind of Programmable Logic Controller that can be programmed to whatever level of complexity is desired without taking up more than 1 tile, if even that. Opening it should reveal an infinite grid for circuits, w/ a bottomless toolbox of logic gates and various types of registers (input, output, et cetera), so it's not like it would simplify the implementation of programmable logic, just make it way less... silly, by not forcing you to use massive fields of belts and inserters to do what should be doable with the circuit board inside every individual inserter, in order to implement basic logic.

Neotix
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Neotix »

Programmable elements in Factiorio is my dream but it's not the topic of that thread.

pyrolytic_tungsten
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by pyrolytic_tungsten »

It would be nice to have a separate place to carry blueprints so they don't jam up my inventory so much when not in use or have to run to my chest of blueprints.

Udav
Inserter
Inserter

Album for blueprints

Post by Udav »

Joined cause same theme -- ssilk

When a player uses a lot of blueprints, they slaughtered the entire inventory. We have to take them to the chest or more and often run for them. At the same time, blueprints seems to me quite compact thing. It would be nice to somehow organize. Create an album to store them, organize and use. Or even add a separate quickbar for them.

deepdriller
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Album for blueprints

Post by deepdriller »

Blueprint album: 10 blueprints + 5 electronic circuits
Can contain up to 10 blueprints
Open album per right-click: Opens menu from which a blueprint can be selected
Delete current blueprint by clicking on the X with an electronic circuit
Add blueprint by either selecting empty slot, and using album as usual or by inserting 1 blueprint and 1 electronic circuit (will return empty blueprint)

Peter34
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Peter34 »

It would be nice if inventing Blueprints gave me one additional 10-slot tool bar, that could only take Blueprints (and the red Deconstructor).

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

Peter34 wrote:It would be nice if inventing Blueprints gave me one additional 10-slot tool bar, that could only take Blueprints (and the red Deconstructor).
I like this idea. Maybe even could it be upgradable, like it's the case for the toolbelt.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Peter34
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Peter34 »

Koub wrote:
Peter34 wrote:It would be nice if inventing Blueprints gave me one additional 10-slot tool bar, that could only take Blueprints (and the red Deconstructor).
I like this idea. Maybe even could it be upgradable, like it's the case for the toolbelt.
I think 10 BP-only slots is enough. If a player wants to have 11+ Blueprints ready to use, then he must simply sacrifice some of his 20 regular belt slots. Temporarily, of course.

lancar
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Blueprint catalogue (instead of putting BPs in inventory)

Post by lancar »

+1

This idea is both awesome & logical, I support it fully.
In the late game your inventory can easily get clogged with so much stuff. Having the blueprints take up so many vital slots is not helping.
Sure, you can reset them, but the reason I keep mine around is so that I can call for building construction easily. I really don't want to go look for this or that specific building setup to copy every time.

wwdragon
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by wwdragon »

I also want a separate blueprint inventory please! :-D

bobucles
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobucles »

Blueprints exist because the player already went through all the sweat and tears of building a previous base. Ultimately, blueprints should be something that the player carries with them BETWEEN games. The function of a blueprint catalogue should be the ability to save/load/use blueprints from disk, allowing access to every blueprint the player ever saved.

It would also let players share their blueprints online.

Edit: Is there a way to force a blueprint if something is blocking it?

Return to “Implemented Suggestions”