add support for enablign and disabling mods based on save

Suggestions that have been added to the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

factoriouzr
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

add support for enablign and disabling mods based on save

Post by factoriouzr »

Add support for enabling all mods when loading a saved game via a popup warning saying something like "do you want to automatically enable all mods associated with this saved game" if they aren't all enabled.
Also add support for disabling all mods that are not associated with this saved game via another popup if there are more mods enabled then were previously in the saved game.

Optionally implement some sort of save profile system or mod profile system where you can save active and deactivated mods in profiles that you can restore later. Perhaps allow each mod profile to keep it's own set of saves?

This feature is really needed because it's a pain to play multiple saved games with different mods enabled. You have to check the list of mods on the save right before loading it though that tiny interface (that should be made much bigger BTW) and that tiny scroll bar and then remember all of them or write them down. then go back to mods, and enable the ones you need and disable all the other ones, then go back and load the game. This is very tedious and time consuming. It should be automated as I described.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: add support for enablign and disabling mods based on save

Post by bobingabout »

Currently, the reason why you can't do that is because data is parsed (Loaded and interpreted) on GAME load, and the only way to change this information is to hard reboot the game.

Unless this changes, what you're asking isn't possible. (And to be honest, a soft reset should work... instead of closing the game and reopening it, it could just dump all contents related to the data from RAM, and reload, then continue from where it left off. Other games do it.)

However, there are some plans for 0.15 for doing this sort of stuff, I just don't know how far they're taking it.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

factoriouzr
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by factoriouzr »

bobingabout wrote:Currently, the reason why you can't do that is because data is parsed (Loaded and interpreted) on GAME load, and the only way to change this information is to hard reboot the game.

Unless this changes, what you're asking isn't possible. (And to be honest, a soft reset should work... instead of closing the game and reopening it, it could just dump all contents related to the data from RAM, and reload, then continue from where it left off. Other games do it.)

However, there are some plans for 0.15 for doing this sort of stuff, I just don't know how far they're taking it.
Thanks for the info. I hope they implement this as it would be really useful.

Worst case, implement what I suggested and force a restart of the game to enable the mods, then auto load the same saved game with the same settings (eg. if loading it in multiplayer).

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

It's already on my to-do. I just need to find a good place to put the button.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Mendel
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Mendel »

Which button? (as in why not just load the game as normal but do whatever necessary to load the game, including restart of client if necessary)

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

Mendel wrote:Which button? (as in why not just load the game as normal but do whatever necessary to load the game, including restart of client if necessary)
How would you then load a game with different or disabled mods? It can't be a native "when loading just enable the mods for this". It needs to be something else like "enable required mods and restart the game" except that's way too long for a button name.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

factoriouzr
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by factoriouzr »

Rseding91 wrote:
Mendel wrote:Which button? (as in why not just load the game as normal but do whatever necessary to load the game, including restart of client if necessary)
How would you then load a game with different or disabled mods? It can't be a native "when loading just enable the mods for this". It needs to be something else like "enable required mods and restart the game" except that's way too long for a button name.
Exactly. This needs to be an option given to the user to enable all mods or not, because the user might want to remove mods from an existing game on purpose.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

moved to implemented
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Return to “Implemented Suggestions”