Train Go-To Conditions

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

authorized411
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Train Go-To Conditions

Post by authorized411 »

I think train conditions should be expanded with a Go-To condition section instead of the limited Schedule/Wait conditions. I feel that the current options we have are limited when it comes to outpost or mini-base resupply or refueling the train.

Outpost or mini-base resupply is not limited to just dropping of repair packs, bots, ammo, or oil for turrets. It can be for those who play in such a way that their "base" is spread across several mini-bases that are targeted to produce single items such as circuits, modules, plastic/batteries, etc. Today, for this to work we either have a train go aimlessly around the train network stopping at all the resupply stops or we use a central hub. The train sits in the hub until a circuit condition is met then it leaves for that single station and comes back. The problem with this is that it is still bound to its schedule and the base that triggered the condition may not be next station in the schedule. To deal with this, we would have to have a single train dedicated to a single outpost or base, or duplicate the stops in its schedule. If the train is in the middle of its schedule but one of its first stops is a forward base in dire need of supplies, it won't go there until it completes the schedule and starts over.

In order to do refueling today, we have to setup a fuel chest at either the unload or pickup station or add a refuel station to the schedule. In my case, and in those that play with mini-bases, I had a train that went from an iron ore outpost to an iron smelting outpost that ran on electric furnaces. Of course I derp'd and the train ran out of fuel and so I had to create a one-off refuel station for it. In order to make it use this station less, I would need to create a very long station schedule of: ore > smelting, ore > smelting, ore > smelting, ore > smelting, ore > smelting,......, refuel. This is not user friendly.

Having a Go-To station section would allow the trains to go to that station when either a condition about itself and/or cargo is met or a circuit network condition is met. The check to see if it should go-to a station should only be checked while at any other station, not while on its way to another stop. This may require a separate tab because these go-to station conditions would need their own separate wait conditions. There also may be a need to override the current stop's wait condition. If there's a mini-base that just ran of iron plate, then go right now to that base. This base may not be on its normal train schedule. Why? Because it is not this trains job to go that mini-base, but its cargo can help that base in dire need.

For those trains whose job it is to go from ore/oil outpost to furnace/refinery, this would allow us to separate its job from its needs. I'm low on fuel? Go to fuel station and wait there 10 seconds, then carry on with my schedule. I or any one part of my consist is below 30% hp? Go to repair bunker and wait there for 30 seconds, then carry on with my schedule. While at a semi-quite outpost I get a condition stating that Forward Base Alpha needs ammo, I go there and wait until there's been 10 seconds of inactivity, then carry on with my schedule.

The go-to stations would allow us to provide a more dynamic train "schedule" and to separate its main job from its needs or what it might be able to assist with. This will allow us to not have to create extremely long train schedules (its job), having trains go from station to station when it does not need to, or to start down a long schedule when it needs to go back to a previous stop or head to future stop and cannot.

I know that some of this can be done by setting up a circuit network to help with this but the train is still bound to and limited by its schedule. The circuit network can still be used with the go-to stations and would probably be one of the primary go-to conditions used.

Thanks for taking the time to read.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Train Go-To Conditions

Post by ssilk »

Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

ArienYolocron
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: Train Go-To Conditions

Post by ArienYolocron »

Created to a forum account just to bump this suggestion, was thinking about the same thing, good thing you already made a post. Would like to see this in non modded factorio

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”