Just one chest for the logistic network...

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Factoruser
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Just one chest for the logistic network...

Post by Factoruser »

Instead of the provider chests, storage chest and requester chest, there should be only one item: "logistic chest" for instance. When interacting, you should be able to change/choose its operation mode. Default might be passive provider chest. Internally you still may use the old entities, i.e. replacing a provider chest with a requester chest when you change the operation mode. When you remove it, you get the same item back you are crafting for these chests.

Makes the inventory more clean...

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Just one chest for the logistic network...

Post by ssilk »

Factoruser wrote:Makes the inventory more clean...
That has been suggested some times before. It makes the overview much uglier and the game not better.
Added to viewtopic.php?f=80&t=18093 Roboport/Logistic Network/Robot enhancements
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

aubergine18
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by aubergine18 »

Better forum search for modders: Enclose your search term in quotes, eg. "font_color" or "custom-input" - it prevents the forum search from splitting on hypens and underscores, resulting in much more accurate results.

Factoruser
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Factoruser »

ssilk wrote:It makes the overview much uglier and the game not better.
How should it make the overview uglier ??? You've got/see ONE chest instead of four in the inventory/recipe list and you can't accidently craft the wrong type.

In the landscape, a requester chest would still be blue, 'cause it's still the same entity, the sprites might be perhaps changed a bit so it seems the colour change of the chest is some kind of LED light...

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Factoruser wrote:How should it make the overview uglier ???
That answer is targeted to the map: When you have only one type of logistic chest, how could you distinct them on map?

The mod, that aubergine suggested doesn't have that problem, but your suggestion has it and my answer was before aubergine's. :)

The mod would be indeed a idea, that needs to be tested deeper, cause similar mechanisms would be useful for belts, inserters etc.

What I mean is: it makes much sense to have a general mechanism that changes an item to the wanted entity in place. Like with rails since 0.13. Logistic chests is just the top of the iceberg and as game-designer I would say: It makes no sense to break the current workflow only for that.

Factoruser
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Factoruser »

The point is, that there is only one chest type in the inventory. Using different entities on the map is just a workaround, it would be more "clean" of course, if only the mode of the entity changes, but yould also cause compatibility issues.

It doesn't mean that the chest has to look the same on the map, indepently of its operation mode. Signals aren't only green either... You should only have one chest in the crafting recipe list and the inventory, and never should accidently craft the wrong type again or have to deal with useless chests in your inventory.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Factoruser wrote:The point is, that there is only one chest type in the inventory.
No, you have minimum four: Wooden chest, Iron chest, Steel chest and the Logistic "Multiusage" Chest.
It doesn't mean that the chest has to look the same on the map, indepently of its operation mode. Signals aren't only green either... You should only have one chest in the crafting recipe list and the inventory, and never should accidently craft the wrong type again or have to deal with useless chests in your inventory.
Understood. Makes sense, but not for only four entities. It needs to be much more clever than that, so that modders can also use that.

It goes into direction of modular design. See
viewtopic.php?f=80&t=30589 Factory Streets / Star Wars like robot factories / Frame Mounting / Modular Production

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”