Am I doing this right?

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
Alien_Squasher
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Am I doing this right?

Post by Alien_Squasher »

Hiya, Bought factorio six days ago, have been addicted like it's some sort of methamphetamine (Yes, not the shortened meth because I'm classy :D) So.... 60 hours of play time (40 AFK 20 Play.) This is the result.
Attachments
20161012051523_1.jpg
20161012051523_1.jpg (647.86 KiB) Viewed 7016 times
Hi. I kill Aliens :D

The Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy states that when dealing with complex machinery of any sort the first step is: do not panic. If you can do this you're well on your way to being a grade A excuse for an engineer.

Alien_Squasher
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: Am I doing this right?

Post by Alien_Squasher »

*PS
Mods: Placeable water (Aliens? NOPE) Airplanes, and Uranium power.

The Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy states that when dealing with complex machinery of any sort the first step is: do not panic. If you can do this you're well on your way to being a grade A excuse for an engineer.

Hannu
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Hannu »

You have to define right before asking this kind of questions. Your base is certainly not the most productive, efficient or clearly structured but computer gaming is entertainment, in which aesthetic values and other personal opinions are far more important than mathematical productivity. If you have some specific problem which you would like to solve, please ask more specifically, but otherwise your base has been made right if you think it is right and you feel that playing is fun.

Alien_Squasher
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Alien_Squasher »

Well what I meant was for the first shot (AND I MEAN LIKE FIRST SHOT) how am I doing for a complete and utter noob?

Alien_Squasher
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Alien_Squasher »

And of course tips/tricks for making this more efficient? I've noticed I need to reorganize because my production formula is well.... Spaghetti..... No main bus. Just a mess.

Deadly-Bagel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadly-Bagel »

This doesn't look dissimilar to my first base, though I think mine was more compact.

Well, your main problem is you haven't planned for expansion. Good luck trying to build a rocket with that base. You need to plan your factory with the knowledge that your two green circuit assemblers will eventually turn into thirty, one red circuit assembler will turn into forty, one oil refinery will become ten, etc.

For example you require 24 Electronic Circuits for a single Processing Unit. You need 100 of these for the satellite and another 100 for the rocket itself. If you're building power armour that needs some 255, and each Portable Fusion Reactor needs another 100 (I build 3). These are the big consumers but there are other things that need them too, modules and certain high level equipment. Just looking at those figures however that's 755 x 24 = 18,120 Electronic Circuits. Processing units also take 15 seconds to build, let's assume you upgrade to t3 assemblers which craft at 1.25x speed so 12 seconds each, which (assuming your supply is constant) 2.5 hours.

Next thing, why have you let it idle for 40 hours? You should never need to do that. If you don't have enough production, make more! If you don't have enough resources, get more! There is always too much to do.

Lastly, when planning stuff I advise looking at ratios. Green circuits are again a good example. Each green circuit requires 3 copper wire, which is produced in pairs. Therefore you need 3 Copper Wire assemblers per two Green Circuit assemblers. I'll let you puzzle out the logistics of that and supplying it with iron. The advanced side of that is looking at the input ratios. Each Electronic Circuit requires one Iron Plate, so if you want a compressed belt of Electronic Circuits going out, you need a compressed belt of iron going in. However, as you need 1.5 Copper Plates per Electronic Circuit, you need 1.5 compressed belts of Copper Plates feeding your Copper Wire assemblers.
Money might be the root of all evil, but ignorance is the heart.

mergele
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by mergele »

Well, expandability is kind of zero, but to me it looks like a base that is fun (Until you at some point just resign and completly rebuild of course). So in my opinion you are doing it right for now.

Smarty
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Smarty »

how many times did you get hit by a train?

sandonoval
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by sandonoval »

sth that took me a bit of time to figure out for myself re: oil processing (and production buffers in general)

when starting out it is tempting to put excess oil production in additional storage tanks (often to prevent the system from backing up), and excess item production in chests.

in actuality, this is a very bad idea, for 3 reasons.

1. they mask production shortages when you scale up your factory, only delaying the inevitable for a short time.
2. they take up space
3. they are a huge pain to work around/disassemble, making refactoring your factory a massive chore, as deconstructing a liquid tank destroys all resources within it, and deconstructing a treasure chest means having to deal with the 1000s of stacks of items within it. it is a problem best avoided.

if you're running into oil production issues (ie system getting backed up), rather than put down additional tanks to band-aid the situation, it is best to develop a setup that involves cracking between oil types as need arises (bonus points for learning basics of the circuit network system). if you can do this properly, you only actually need 1 tank per oil type.

nuhll
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by nuhll »

looks great for first base!

Dont start new, just build a new better base next to it. So you have a good start for the next base!

Alien_Squasher
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Alien_Squasher »

Well, I've learned to look at ratios. Thanks by the way, tore down this factory like 5 times, rebuilt, won the game. Started new factory, and discovered an amazing thing to do...... Belts? Pff after you get robots just tear those suckas out and pop these bad boys in :D Check out the result on the map! Besides that I've been mass producing all intermediate products, from rocket fuel to logistics stuff, if it's used in a recipe I've probably got it. Surprisingly only 100 something hours. I've been focusing on building out a massive factory instead of rockets hence only one satellite, I want to be the first person to have a 1-2 rocket a second base. Yes aliens are disabled, because I decided this was an experiment world. I highly recommend replacing most belts with robots, works amazingly. Also why do the robots keep piling up in a circle around the roboports as seen below? If you could answer that that'd be great. Also sorry for taking a while to get back to you, been busy staying up until the sun comes up playing factorio, It's heroin......... I salute whoever made this game. 100 hours/week............. I don't have a life right now lol. Factorio has taken over......
Attachments
The Mother of all Logistics systems.... 28900+ Logistic bots and 8000+ construction.....
The Mother of all Logistics systems.... 28900+ Logistic bots and 8000+ construction.....
20161023191108_1.jpg (635.22 KiB) Viewed 6705 times
Oops.... Aliens hate me forever :D I'M SHINRA :D
Oops.... Aliens hate me forever :D I'M SHINRA :D
20161023191125_1.jpg (287.68 KiB) Viewed 6705 times
20161023190907_1.jpg
20161023190907_1.jpg (722.73 KiB) Viewed 6705 times
20161023192256_1.jpg
20161023192256_1.jpg (412.58 KiB) Viewed 6706 times

Alien_Squasher
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Alien_Squasher »

Smarty wrote:how many times did you get hit by a train?
Only once, and intentionally, for the watch your step achievement. I'm reaaaalllll careful like that.

Alien_Squasher
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Alien_Squasher »

sandonoval wrote:sth that took me a bit of time to figure out for myself re: oil processing (and production buffers in general)

when starting out it is tempting to put excess oil production in additional storage tanks (often to prevent the system from backing up), and excess item production in chests.

in actuality, this is a very bad idea, for 3 reasons.

1. they mask production shortages when you scale up your factory, only delaying the inevitable for a short time.
2. they take up space
3. they are a huge pain to work around/disassemble, making refactoring your factory a massive chore, as deconstructing a liquid tank destroys all resources within it, and deconstructing a treasure chest means having to deal with the 1000s of stacks of items within it. it is a problem best avoided.

if you're running into oil production issues (ie system getting backed up), rather than put down additional tanks to band-aid the situation, it is best to develop a setup that involves cracking between oil types as need arises (bonus points for learning basics of the circuit network system). if you can do this properly, you only actually need 1 tank per oil type.
However if you look at how much your chemical plants are using and keep a tally of how much petroleum/plastic (or whatever you want) you don't have to worry about this. Also I have my tanks as back up only typically, so they're off the main line and nothing is wasted. (Also heard of better tanks? It keeps fluids in the tanks even after you move them.) (IE I fill them, then keep the petroleum, light oil, etc. as a backup resource for things like fuel production for boilers, which is necessary for power, and my solar plants are alien magnets -_- )

Mehve
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Mehve »

Also why do the robots keep piling up in a circle around the roboports as seen below? If you could answer that that'd be great.
Each roboports can only recharge 4 bots at a time. So if more than 4 bots need to charge, the excess bots have to sit and wait their turn.

Alien_Squasher
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Alien_Squasher »

Ohhhhh......... Shoot. That means I need 7,500 roboports............

Alien_Squasher
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Alien_Squasher »

Best get to it.........

Mr. Tact
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Mr. Tact »

There are mods which have "charging stations" -- specifically meant to help address this "problem".
Professional Curmudgeon since 1988.

Alien_Squasher
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Alien_Squasher »

THANKS!!! :D

HammerPiano
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by HammerPiano »

Alien_Squasher wrote:Hiya, Bought factorio six days ago, have been addicted like it's some sort of methamphetamine (Yes, not the shortened meth because I'm classy :D) So.... 60 hours of play time (40 AFK 20 Play.) This is the result.
Your base looks like my lunch: SPAGHETTI
My first base was pretty organized, main bus and all of this stuff.
Now I am doing a campaign like MangledPorkGaming does: towns and each town make different category of stuff, but with bob's mods. My main town is absolute mess, and so are the rest :D

The Eriksonn
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by The Eriksonn »

My first base was kind of like this but way smaller since i started over when i hit midgame. I think that you are very lucky if you dont have spaghetti base the first time(aka spaghetti is normal for beginners).

Return to “Gameplay Help”