[0.14] [cube] Can't Host Public Server

This subforum contains all the issues which we already resolved.
xBlizzDevious
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

[0.14] [cube] Can't Host Public Server

Post by xBlizzDevious »

I have requested assistance in the technical help forum but as far as I can tell, it's an issue outside of my network.

I can host a hidden server perfectly. I provide the IP to someone and they can join.
I can host a public server but with faults. The server will show in the public matchmaking list but no one can join from the matchmaking list. However, if someone uses the direct IP, it works flawlessly, just as a hidden server would.

Please refer to this post to see logs and what I've attempted.
viewtopic.php?f=49&t=33964

Thanks!

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: [Matchmaking Server] Can't Host Public Server

Post by Loewchen »

Please upload (not post the content) the complete log-files of host and peer after an unsuccessful connection attempt.

xBlizzDevious
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by xBlizzDevious »

Loewchen wrote:Please upload (not post the content) the complete log-files of host and peer after an unsuccessful connection attempt.
I started the server and waited for it to be ready. Then went to my client, started it up, searched for the server and attempted connection. I then closed the client, and then gracefully shut down the server.

Here are the resulting logs:
Client:
factorio-current.log
(3.04 KiB) Downloaded 165 times
Server:
factorio-current - Server.log
(3.97 KiB) Downloaded 162 times

frank12311
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by frank12311 »

This looks similair to this problem @ Technical help forum.

EDIT: it is the same, derp.
Last edited by frank12311 on Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

This is the part that is relevant:

Code: Select all

0.939 Info ServerRouter.cpp:602: Asking pingpong servers (pingpong1.factorio.com:34197, pingpong2.factorio.com:34197) for own address
 1.059 Warning ServerRouter.cpp:490: Received own adddress message reply with conflicting address (got <my IP - removed>:19746, expected <my IP - removed>:44105)
 1.059 Warning ServerMultiplayerManager.cpp:545: Determining own address has failed. Best guess: <my IP - removed>:44105

cube
Former Staff
Former Staff

Re: [0.14] [cube] Can't Host Public Server

Post by cube »

xBlizzDevious wrote:I have requested assistance in the technical help forum but as far as I can tell, it's an issue outside of my network.

I can host a hidden server perfectly. I provide the IP to someone and they can join.
I can host a public server but with faults. The server will show in the public matchmaking list but no one can join from the matchmaking list. However, if someone uses the direct IP, it works flawlessly, just as a hidden server would.

Please refer to this post to see logs and what I've attempted.

Thanks!
Hi, this looks like you are behind a NAT that is not automatically traversable by Factorio. How exactly do you determine the IP that you give to people manually? Does it include setting a forwarded address on your router?

cube
Former Staff
Former Staff

Post by cube »

So I've read the other topic, and it really looks like problems with cone NAT like impetus maximus said. Problem is, that Factorio doesn't know you have forwarded the port and tries to go through the NAT on its own, which fails for this type. A workaround would be to make an option "my external address is <some address> and I'm certain about it" that would override the whole pingpong server fun. Any ideas on where to best set it?

xBlizzDevious
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by xBlizzDevious »

cube wrote:-snip-
Hi, this looks like you are behind a NAT that is not automatically traversable by Factorio. How exactly do you determine the IP that you give to people manually? Does it include setting a forwarded address on your router?
cube wrote:So I've read the other topic, and it really looks like problems with cone NAT like impetus maximus said. Problem is, that Factorio doesn't know you have forwarded the port and tries to go through the NAT on its own, which fails for this type. A workaround would be to make an option "my external address is <some address> and I'm certain about it" that would override the whole pingpong server fun. Any ideas on where to best set it?
Specifically, I use dtdns.net for a dynamic domain name, that is hooked to my non-static IP. I have a pfSense router that has 34197 (modded, private server) and 34198 (vanilla, public server) forwarded to the computer that hosts the server.

I'm not sure what "cone" NAT is. I assume it's the way in which it does the address translation?
As for the absolute address setting - if you're asking me - I'd suggest either the config.ini for client or server support or in the server-settings file.

Is there some sort of workaround I can do? In the other thread, it was suggested that I set an outbound NAT rule but that only caused more confusion, returning a 0.0.0.0 IP.

And thanks for looking into this.

impetus maximus
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by impetus maximus »

found a video about disabling auto handling of outbound NAT in pfSense v2.1.3 here. worth a shot.

cube
Former Staff
Former Staff

Post by cube »

So I'll try to add these options in 0.15. In the meantime you can try fiddling with your router settings so that packets from your_computer:34198 exit the router at public_ip:34198 (and there is a corresponding forward from public_ip:34198 to your_computer:34198).

xBlizzDevious
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by xBlizzDevious »

impetus maximus wrote:found a video about disabling auto handling of outbound NAT in pfSense v2.1.3 here. worth a shot.
THANKS! I thought that this is what I did, but obviously not as I just tried it again, following this video and it works perfectly.
cube wrote:So I'll try to add these options in 0.15. In the meantime you can try fiddling with your router settings so that packets from your_computer:34198 exit the router at public_ip:34198 (and there is a corresponding forward from public_ip:34198 to your_computer:34198).
This will be handy for anyone else having the same issue as me. Thanks for looking into it! The fix above works so for now I shall use that.

impetus maximus
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

so you got the server working?

xBlizzDevious
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by xBlizzDevious »

impetus maximus wrote:so you got the server working?
Yes, I did.

impetus maximus
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

excellent 8-)

Return to “Resolved Problems and Bugs”