New types of trains

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

gacekssj4
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

New types of trains

Post by gacekssj4 »

Hello,
I'm always irritated by "Diesele locomotive" which runs on coal.

Maybe it would be possible to implement other types of locomotives like:
  • - Steam Locomotive -> Runs on coal -> low/tech slowest one
    (needs supply of coal, which is troublesome)
    - Diesel Locomotive -> Runs on crude oil/light oil/heavy oil -> medium tech / medium speed
    (needs supply of oil, which is even more troublesome, but gives benefits in speed)
    - Electrical Locomotive -> Runs on accumulators* (charging point similar to rail signals?). Hight tech / Fastest one
    (since it would be hight tech, it wouldn't be troublesome to charge it, but would be costly to make)
* accumulators - Accumulators would be easier to implement than making all lines into "electrical lines" and would require less resources

It would be cool to have choice. In this "concept" I tried to make it easiest to implement (skipping making special rails that would have be electrically supplied).
That would only require some textures and copy of entities with changed graphics.

The other implementation (harder I think) would be with rails with electrical poles. Which could also be used to transfer energy to far-off places instead of building electrical poles along all the way.

Factoruser
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: New types of trains

Post by Factoruser »

Steam locomotives require much water...

But I'm not very favouring this... Better would be tank wagons and bulk cargo wagons with special, fast loading/unloading buildings. - The one might be used to fuel locomotives with light oil... Perhaps a new goal of factorio might become further to switch to eco-friendly technology, and then you'll need electrical locomotives...

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Added to the other vehicles.
viewtopic.php?f=80&t=17734 New types of vehicles (train, tank, car, plane, ship...)
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

gacekssj4
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by gacekssj4 »

Factoruser wrote:Steam locomotives require much water...

But I'm not very favouring this... Better would be tank wagons and bulk cargo wagons with special, fast loading/unloading buildings. - The one might be used to fuel locomotives with light oil... Perhaps a new goal of factorio might become further to switch to eco-friendly technology, and then you'll need electrical locomotives...
Screw water :) We now got Diesel locomotive working on coal without water :)

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

It works even with small electric poles, wooden boxes and rocket fuel. :)
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Factoruser
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Factoruser »

gacekssj4 wrote:
Factoruser wrote:Steam locomotives require much water...
Screw water :) We now got Diesel locomotive working on coal without water :)
It'd be replaced with locomotives that only run with light oil of course... Don't think it would make much more fun this way. Factorio is not a railway simulation and hasn't to be that complicated.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”