Using modified factorio graphics in mods - official policy?

Place to post guides, observations, things related to modding that are not mods themselves.
jonatkins
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Using modified factorio graphics in mods - official policy?

Post by jonatkins »

Is there any official policy on allowing modders to reuse lightly modified base game graphics (and other resources) within mods?

For example, taking graphics from the base game and creating colour-tinted versions to indicate higher tiers of the equipment.

If this is allowed, should there be a template file placed with the graphics to indicate they're not under the same (open source) license as used for the rest of the mod?

aubergine18
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Using modified factorio graphics in mods - official policy?

Post by aubergine18 »

We tolerate and even encourage people to make mods using assets from the game (tinting, combining assets, etc.). That is completely ok. However we don't want the assets to be used outside of "the free mods domain area" obviously.
viewtopic.php?p=49122#p49122
Better forum search for modders: Enclose your search term in quotes, eg. "font_color" or "custom-input" - it prevents the forum search from splitting on hypens and underscores, resulting in much more accurate results.

jonatkins
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by jonatkins »

Thanks.

So, if I'm reading that right, this exact sort of thing is allowed, as long as the mod is under a free license. However, there's no recommended license/process to follow at this time.

That post is a couple of years old now - there's no more recent updates on this?

I guess for now I can put a README file with the graphics stating they're modified game resources, and shouldn't be considered under the same license as the rest of the mod, and give pointers to these posts.

jorgenRe
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by jorgenRe »

jonatkins wrote:Thanks.

So, if I'm reading that right, this exact sort of thing is allowed, as long as the mod is under a free license. However, there's no recommended license/process to follow at this time.

That post is a couple of years old now - there's no more recent updates on this?

I guess for now I can put a README file with the graphics stating they're modified game resources, and shouldn't be considered under the same license as the rest of the mod, and give pointers to these posts.
You can also use graphics from other mods too in case they use a license that allows for them to be used. Just make sure to give proper credit and follow as told in the license file ;)!

From the MIT license:
Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining a copy of this software and associated documentation files (the "Software"), to deal in the Software without restriction, including without limitation the rights to use, copy, modify, merge, publish, distribute, sublicense, and/or sell copies of the Software, and to permit persons to whom the Software is furnished to do so, subject to the following conditions:

The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be included in all copies or substantial portions of the Software.
Logo
Noticed the told change in FFF #111 so il continue to use my signature ^_^
Thanks for listening to our suggestions, devs :D!
I would jump of joy if we could specify which tiles spawned in a surfaces

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

jonatkins wrote:So, if I'm reading that right, this exact sort of thing is allowed, as long as the mod is under a free license. However, there's no recommended license/process to follow at this time.
Hm. As I understand it, the stuff is free, if you use it in Factorio-context. If you want to use Factorio icons for example in Starcraft it isn't, even if your mod is free, cause Starcraft isn't. :)

For the case you are describing (tinting) this is the preferred way, also described in one of the FFF's as THE way to reuse graphics. So it would be more than dubious, if the crew would say anything against it. And for anybody else: the graphics are not part of your distribution, it is only usable in context with Factorio core.

Just my interpretation of course. :)
No.
There is a former discussion.
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1146
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

aubergine18
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by aubergine18 »

Pin topic?
Better forum search for modders: Enclose your search term in quotes, eg. "font_color" or "custom-input" - it prevents the forum search from splitting on hypens and underscores, resulting in much more accurate results.

sparr
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by sparr »

jonatkins wrote:For example, taking graphics from the base game and creating colour-tinted versions to indicate higher tiers of the equipment.
In case you weren't aware, the prototype definitions allow you to add a tint color to an existing image. Depending on the art, you might be able to do this without making a new graphics file at all.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

sparr wrote:
jonatkins wrote:For example, taking graphics from the base game and creating colour-tinted versions to indicate higher tiers of the equipment.
In case you weren't aware, the prototype definitions allow you to add a tint color to an existing image. Depending on the art, you might be able to do this without making a new graphics file at all.
Yeah, but, you might want to make a mask, then layer it, so that it only tints part of the image, not all of it.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

ibeatbabybiters
Inserter
Inserter

Post by ibeatbabybiters »

Hello,

would it be okay if I used parts of the Factorio logo (the gear wheel) as icon for my VS Code extension? (https://marketplace.visualstudio.com/it ... tocomplete)
Usually I don't beat babies, but when I do I beat baby biters.

moon69
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by moon69 »

aubergine18 wrote:
We tolerate and even encourage people to make mods using assets from the game (tinting, combining assets, etc.). That is completely ok. However we don't want the assets to be used outside of "the free mods domain area" obviously.
I would be even more "encouraged" if we had access to the graphic source files :)
I'm assuming they are saved in some kind of format with layers?

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

moon69 wrote:
aubergine18 wrote:
I would be even more "encouraged" if we had access to the graphic source files :)
I'm assuming they are saved in some kind of format with layers?
If we had access to those WIP ore files, I'm sure I Could whip up some unique graphics for ores in my mod. unfortunately I'm stuck with bleached tintable versions of the existing 5 ores.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

CJ5Boss
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by CJ5Boss »

As a quick example, there are multiple mods that add new buildings, one of which adds new tiers of crafting machines (I believe it is one of Bob's), that is just like an assembly machine only a different color, like purple.

darkfrei
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by darkfrei »

It would be nice if vanilla has also grayscaled sprites and just set up the tint color of it in the prototype.

Return to “Modding discussion”