Grenades as a Secondary Weapon

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
Ranakastrasz
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Grenades as a Secondary Weapon

Post by Ranakastrasz »

One thing it took me a while to realize, is that grenades are in fact great weapons. Or, specifically, great as secondary weapons, which you can duel wield with your main weapon.

A grenade isn't exactly powerful, in that it doesn't scale that well into late game. Early on, it is pretty powerful, tearing apart entire crowds of small biters and spitters. As soon as medium varient show up, it takes multiple grenades, and I used to stop using them. They kinda made a comeback when big biters showed up, since they ignore physical armor, but you needed 16 grenades to kill them, which wasn't really much better.

I used to stop shooting to use a grenade, which was why I thought they were extremely use impaired. Shooting almost always did more damage anyhow.
As it turns out, you can use items while shooting. Eat fish, throw capsules, grenades, etc. All of that while still shooting.

So, instead of the grenade being an alternate weapon, treat it as an attachment to your combat shotgun or whatever. You fire away, dealing massive damage, but you get an extra chunk of damage from grenades every half second. Sure, its only going to be around 50 explosive damage per grenade late game with upgrades (more with cluster, but I've yet to use them) but thats to all targets in the AOE, and 100 extra DPS per target is potentially quite powerful. A max upgraded Combat Shotgun with Piercing ammo has just shy of 1.1k DPS, but that is to a single target. Grenades add a minimum of 9% more damage, with an extra 9% per target in the area.

The only issue remaining is that you can only hold 100 grenades in a stack, so it can use up a lot of space if you carry them around for prolonged combat, and that you can splash yourself. neither of which are difficult to avoid.
My Mods:
Modular Armor Revamp - V16
Large Chests - V16
Agent Orange - V16
Flare - V16
Easy Refineries - V16

Acarin
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: Grenades as a Secondary Weapon

Post by Acarin »

Get your cluster grenade production going. Seriously. If you think grenades are good, you will flip out when you start throwing CGs. Oh, and they are also peerless for clearing forest and/or creating firebreaks to prevent the spread of forest fires when your flamethrower gets out of control :-)

Ranakastrasz
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Ranakastrasz »

Main reason I haven't used them is that I haven't gotten that far again since the update.
My Mods:
Large Chests - V16
Agent Orange - V16
Flare - V16
Easy Refineries - V16

aubergine18
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by aubergine18 »

I find the cluster grenades to be very effective at clearing the spawners, particularly if I'm out of flamethrower ammo.
Better forum search for modders: Enclose your search term in quotes, eg. "font_color" or "custom-input" - it prevents the forum search from splitting on hypens and underscores, resulting in much more accurate results.

Hannu
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Hannu »

I tried cluster grenades at late game phase. They are totally useless against behemoth enemies but useful to destroy spawner in addition to destroyers. If there are huge swarm of enemies, destroyers often leaves nests alive. In my opinion they should prefer nests. But it is nice to throw grenades on nests and let destroyers kill moving enemies. However, now the flame thrower has made almost all other weapons obsolete. It is practically free to use and more effective than any other weapon, including expensive destroyer capsules.

I have bad experience with basic grenades. They may be used to clear forests but shooting biters (especially large and behemoths) is like throwing an elephant with small stones. They just laugh.

Ranakastrasz
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Ranakastrasz »

Oh sure, but the point I was making is that you are using both weapons at the same time. Sure, its only 100 damage to each enemy, but that is on top of the massive damage from the shotgun or flamethrower or whatever.
My Mods:
Large Chests - V16
Agent Orange - V16
Flare - V16
Easy Refineries - V16

Ratzap
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Ratzap »

Grenades are my go to for clearing thick forest without risking massive fires and pollution. Clusters are even better at it.

AutoMcD
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by AutoMcD »

I was all about poison capsules and destroyers.. before the update. Now the flame thrower is king!

Return to “General discussion”