Module production

Circuit-free solutions of basic factory-design to achieve optimal item-throughput.
Involving: Belts (balancers, crossings), Inserters, Chests, Furnaces, Assembling Devices ...
Optimized production chains. Compact design.
Please provide blueprints!
Forum rules
Circuit-free solutions of basic factory-design to achieve optimal item-throughput
vanatteveldt
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Module production

Post by vanatteveldt »

Simple chainable belt design to produce level 1-3 modules. Screenshot shows I have trouble producing enough red circuits :). Artefacts go on the outer loop, level 3 modules are output to the middle belt. Replace with logistic chests to taste.

Code: Select all

H4sIAAAAAAAA/6VX2YqDMBT9leKzGVz7UvyWIdU7bSAmkkSYIv77xE6R1iWbLy2UnHOXc+9J2vAT5TWmp+9qAKaIIiCrYWC4hSrCUkJ7pYTdUIvrO2GA8iju
uNTHOKuG3woV8UN/jLGAmnQaIjuABrW86SlEY/wi+sFSIcIkCAViwZC9GBqiOZ6/ZjNOCcxkx4VCV6BqAUwnYPkOLDyAhT8wCQyYBMYLLdBUn0GJtRDnGWaf
hOODkE8M2TifbaEhfYuA6mwEqVHHNdPG7LxB7LLnofOSBeoeigtINDRPU2PsIiw1MEi8VNjRX5LtqUKZh8Gk2wZDuY59x6zRrAZ4so02RU2fsPlor0OIm+D6
e3fEPnIsYvWYKias61XkyJMsc91hsU5f6u0eXvU6l2vXZyXP2dnr0iNed3AoJ4qdVZUdJWqNKL/KfYzDHOdLtFOjnuMf3KjkP+Zmo3KnRq3C++xuWMkGaUx7
s1In8/W5w8+onVeU40Wae7lVsbW9vFcf62tIOFlxeHiHU3C3qyv3uY6cVLK+JXaedHZrL13Ktt30O9EtO1h+rtEYk5qz6Z+CJDeGaTW87FtBG8WGdmqgLlNn
Mo7jRYDqBTt9X4A1f2iRfYqJDAAA
(edit: just noticed/remembered that prod3 actually takes 5xprod2, not 4xprod2... Grrrr... Anyway, adding a speed1 module to the prod1 and prod2 machines ,more or less restores the ratio.

Galaxydust
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: Module production

Post by Galaxydust »

That is a really good design I have uneffective one! For me it is now in later stage hard to re-design my factory. So I will keep mine.

mngrif
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by mngrif »

The ratios are wrong, but it's pretty!
My Silly Factorian Tricks
<_aD> OBSERVE SIGNAL ASPECT BEFORE CROSSING TRACK

vanatteveldt
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by vanatteveldt »

mngrif wrote:The ratios are wrong, but it's pretty!
Are they? I thought that for speed modules they are perfect 4:2:1, so in a minute they produce 4x4=16 level 1, -> 2*2=4 level 2 -> 1 level 3

For the productivity you're right (as I noted below the sreenshot), it needs a 5:2.5:1 ratio, i.e. a 25% speed boost to the level 1 and level 2. I more or less evened this out this by adding a single speed 1 module to each lower level assembler, using speed 2 modules is not worth it (cheaper to accept the inefficiency and just add another unit as needed). Ideally, you would make a 10:5:2 unit, but that would need some creativity to achieve with direct insertion.

Edit: it's weekend anyway :-)

This is a ratio-perfect prod module block. I couldn't find a way to get the extra prod2 module inserted directly. I tried placing an extra prod2 in between the two prod3 assemblers, but the belts need too much room two fit in the needed inserters. Maybe if you widen the design you can fit it around. My current solution is to use the inner lane of the 'artifact belt' to transport the extra prod2 module from a single 2:1 block at the top to the two prod3 assemblers:

The splitter divide the "5th" prod2 module evenly over the two prod3 assemblers. The filter inserter at the bottom is there to stop the prod2 modules from circulating further, otherwise you have to wait until the belt backs up, wasting a lot of prod2 modules. There is not a fixed cost of 2 prod2 modules lost in the second splitter, but that is not too bad. (and you could even prime it with two wood if you wanted to)

I've let it run a while on high game speed, and it evens out at 2.5 prod3 per minute, which is exactly full production for the two prod3 plants (2x1.25*60/60=2.5). To chain it, red circuits will be the bottleneck at 325/min per unit, so you can chain 7 units (7.38) to produce 17.5 prod3 per minute, consuming almost a full belt of red circuits. You could boost this further by sharing the middle belt blue+red and consume some of the red from that belt, but that would complicate the connections at the top, and 17.5 prod3 modules per minute should surely be enough for everyone :)
productivity
blueprint

*) I though inserting onto the start of a belt had a weird functionality that it prefers a compass direction rather than always placing on the right (from the perspective of the inserter). Has that changed?

Acarin
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Acarin »

Would it not simply be easier to go with the original design but use Speed Modules to 'fiddle' the production rate of the Assemblers for PMs? I haven't done the math, but if you boosted the PM1 assemblers by a total of 25%, and equivalent for the PM2 assemblers , this should theoretically resolve the difference in recipe requirement?

vanatteveldt
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by vanatteveldt »

Acarin wrote:Would it not simply be easier to go with the original design but use Speed Modules to 'fiddle' the production rate of the Assemblers for PMs? I haven't done the math, but if you boosted the PM1 assemblers by a total of 25%, and equivalent for the PM2 assemblers , this should theoretically resolve the difference in recipe requirement?
Uhm, yeah :)
vanatteveldt wrote:I more or less evened this out this by adding a single speed 1 module to each lower level assembler, using speed 2 modules is not worth it (cheaper to accept the inefficiency and just add another unit as needed)

The problem is that the ratio is still off: 20% speed boost gives 4.8 prod2 modules where 5 are needed, and 30% boost is too much. Of course you could give half the assemblers speed1 and half speed2, but that's just horrible in my personal aeshtetics.
From a cost perspective using 7 sp1 is probably equivalent to 1.5 more assembler3 (=6sp1 modules and some extra plumbing).

So, for all practical purposes just duplicating the speed rack for prod/eff and adding sp1 is fine (and that's what I did in my actual game). However, we're not here for practical reasons, now are we? :) And when I wrote "it will be difficult to fit in the extra prod2 unit" my fingers started itching...

Acarin
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Acarin »

*grin* I just gave 2 of the PM1 assemblers and 1 of the PM2 assemblers a SM3 each. Yes, it mildly offends my OCD as well, but I can be pragmatic. Some of the time :-) Not a solution really until you are into late-game mechanics, due to cost implications, but when you have over 500 SM3s just sitting around waiting for things to slot into, it becomes... less of a concern.

Azraelle
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Azraelle »

This is great! I've been trying to figure out a decent module production design, but this looks better than anything I've come up with. I'll have to use it in my factory (and in my video series, with credit to the creator, of course)!

Return to “Mechanical Throughput Magic (circuit-free)”