Different types of Logistic Networks

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Jeremypwnz
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Different types of Logistic Networks

Post by Jeremypwnz »

Basically Overlapping networks that don't connect to eachother. So you have can a Network "A" and a Network "B". Others can use these networks for whatever they want, but I'll use Network A as the crafting network, and Network B as the transport network. Network A"1" will craft Iron, Network A"2 will craft Copper, the Logistic Robots in each network can put everything in Storage Chests on the side of the area. Then Network B comes in and can transfer things inside Network A1 and A2 to A"3", which can be Green Circuits.

I have a couple low quality MS Paint mockups. All the Network A's are separate, while the Network B's are connecting what needs to be connected.

OdinYggd
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Different types of Logistic Networks

Post by OdinYggd »

So what you are looking for is more along the lines of a network identifier functionality that allows logistics networks to overlap without them merging.

This could be useful in more than a few applications I think, each roboport would have a user configurable network identifier for bots that it has launched. Bots then remember the network identifier of the roboport that launched them, and are permitted to recharge from any charge location within range but can only dock again at a roboport with the same network identifier.

Yes, I believe this could be very useful since you could then break up the usual massive logi network in favor of smaller area-specific ones or task specific logi nets- such as a defensive logi net that focuses on maintaining and supplying the perimeter or a circuitmaking logi net that only handles bringing materials in and out of a row of assemblers

Incidentally this would greatly reduce the need for cache chests, because you could possibly extend this network identifier arrangement to allow chests to only send to or recieve from specific networks. For instance a requester chest that only accepts from network A, or a passive provider that only provides to network B.
In my mind, Steam is the eternal king of the railway.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Different types of Logistic Networks

Post by ssilk »

Ah. My beloved subject. Nice graphics.

I added it to viewtopic.php?f=80&t=18093&hilit=overlapping Roboport/Logistic Network/Robot enhancements
Look for Logistic "Network extension".

In that list you might have a look especially into viewtopic.php?f=76&t=8905 Overlapping Logistic Network II
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”