Is RSO still needed?

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
TN_Creator
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Is RSO still needed?

Post by TN_Creator »

Hi,

I played like crazy when the game was in 0.12, and RSO was needed to give a real reason to use train (other than simply enjoying it, of course), as the resources were close to each other.

I think I read about newer versions changing a lot about resource and map generation. So right now, is RSO still a must-have for usefull huge trains? Or can we get a very poor map with huge distances between big resources spawns, with vanilla settings?

thanks!

golfmiketango
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Is RSO still needed?

Post by golfmiketango »

TN_Creator wrote:Hi,

I played like crazy when the game was in 0.12, and RSO was needed to give a real reason to use train (other than simply enjoying it, of course), as the resources were close to each other.

I think I read about newer versions changing a lot about resource and map generation. So right now, is RSO still a must-have for usefull huge trains? Or can we get a very poor map with huge distances between big resources spawns, with vanilla settings?

thanks!
Unless you're a bit of a biter-whisperer, if you try to approximate RSO type resource spawning using vanilla settings, it basically results in a "death world," where you wind up in early-mid game walled in against a fearsome horde of biters with dwindling resources and no real combat options, because your only hope is turret-creep, which is a prohibitively expensive.

In a sense RSO may have changed from a mod to make the game harder, to a mod that makes it easier although that's not really an apples-apples comparison since there was no way to get at all close to RSO-type resource spawning in vanilla 0.12

TN_Creator
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by TN_Creator »

Ok, thanks for that !

I plan to play in peacefull mode for now, I'll give the game a try without RSO !

Deadly-Bagel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadly-Bagel »

I played a game recently with resources as spread out as it gets and almost everything was within pretty close reach... Was still better to use trains but they didn't have to go far until the first outposts ran out of ore.

"Almost" everything

Weirdly, the closest oil field spawned pretty far away, enough that a train was needed so it forced me to build one pretty early. The next oil field was around 2,000 tiles away o_O seriously I had to use a console command to find the damn thing, mainly because the wall of biters was so thick it would have taken hours to wade through them all to set up radars that scan that far.
Money might be the root of all evil, but ignorance is the heart.

SirLANsalot
Inserter
Inserter

Post by SirLANsalot »

Deadly-Bagel wrote:I played a game recently with resources as spread out as it gets and almost everything was within pretty close reach... Was still better to use trains but they didn't have to go far until the first outposts ran out of ore.

"Almost" everything

Weirdly, the closest oil field spawned pretty far away, enough that a train was needed so it forced me to build one pretty early. The next oil field was around 2,000 tiles away o_O seriously I had to use a console command to find the damn thing, mainly because the wall of biters was so thick it would have taken hours to wade through them all to set up radars that scan that far.
Love this mod for fighting the biter's. They help SO MUCH by auto attacking the closest bases, and if you have a good automated production chain, they will just forever be out there doing there job till they die. By default you need 10 in a squad before they walk off and attack, and it can be mixed types (hes got like 4-5 types). So far the biter evo on my world hasn't gotten out of hand...yet, so only a few squads are being used to keep them away from the smog cloud. In several other maps I have done the biters get out of hand fairly quickly, even when clearing all bases, they pop back so quick. This mod helps fight them by giving you...well biters of your own more or less, since they use the same AI. Give it a shot, its fun!

Oh and as a bonus, they explore FOR you so when they find a base, you see the path they took thus helping you find ore (and thank god they did find a very large Iron Vein).

https://mods.factorio.com/mods/kyranzor/robotarmy

As for RSO itself, I love it. I make the deposits as rich as possible since they will be so spread out from one another it might be a while before you find another one. With vanilla you needed like frequency of like low/medium just to not be swimming in ore. With RSO, even on very high they are nicely spread out.

Maximus-CZ
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Maximus-CZ »

I started game with RSO, ran Multi server. Without RSO the spawning is just so unsatisfying.

GeniusIsme
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by GeniusIsme »

I've tried very rare and small everything ( including biters ).
The results:
- Starting resources are not enough to finish the game, need to expand.
- I've made one outpost for iron, copper and coal.
- Outposts are within 1000 tiles distance from base, with the closest one of like 300.
- I haven't found any stone deposit besides one I started with. And only one ( probable obligatory ) oil deposit within 100 range.
- Biters nests are not really small, nor they are rare. But it is not wall either, you can squeeze between nests without biters attacking you.
- I have scouted like 4000 x 6000 area, spend lots of time and burned like 1000 of wood in my tank.
Here is how map look like:
https://imgur.com/gallery/yfvXe

DarkHelmet
Inserter
Inserter

Post by DarkHelmet »

GeniusIsme wrote:I've tried very rare and small everything ( including biters ).
- Biters nests are not really small, nor they are rare.
You're probably seeing the effects of expansion. They might have started small but the game spawns more and more of them. If you turn off expansion (via the config.lua setting in RSO) then the biters stay as they were spawned. I don't believe you can change the expansion settings in an existing map.
A guide to planning your factory's space requirements:
1) Figure out how much space you need, double it to be safe.
2) Wrong! There's never enough space.

MrGrim
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by MrGrim »

Deadly-Bagel wrote:I played a game recently with resources as spread out as it gets and almost everything was within pretty close reach... Was still better to use trains but they didn't have to go far until the first outposts ran out of ore.

"Almost" everything

I frequently make mad dashes through the biters to explore new areas. With 5 exo's you can run circles around them, and w/ 5 mk2 shields you can absorb a steady stream of hits. Just be sure to use batteries so your shield charging doesn't take power from the exo's. It also makes it funny when I go to clear an area I did that through and see the lines of shotgun devastated forest and masses of confused biters stuck in the trees. :D

Deadly-Bagel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadly-Bagel »

I tried that a few times, but when you have a couple hundred biters trailing you and come up against a wall of about 30 big worms you're dead ^^
Money might be the root of all evil, but ignorance is the heart.

Return to “General discussion”