Armor/Vehicle with equipment used in recipe check

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Armor/Vehicle with equipment used in recipe check

Post by bobingabout »

Not sure where the best place to put this is, since technically it isn't a bug, but...
viewtopic.php?f=51&t=9256&start=240#p210615
When you have recipes, like in my mods, that take an armor/vehicle as an ingredient to make an upgraded version, the game does not seem to check if there is any equipment in the grid, and consumes it with all the equipment along with it.

It would be a reasonable request to ask if the game should check if there is equipment in an item before using it, and either remove the equipment and return it, or simply refuse to use the item.

Unrelated to the titled topic, but it could also be worth considering what happens if damaged equipment is used in the process too, since both Armors and Vehicles can be damaged, and their item retains this damage.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Armor/Vehicle with equipment used in recipe check

Post by ssilk »

I think (in the first moment you will wonder, but it is all about itemhandling) this is strongly related to this subject: viewtopic.php?f=80&t=19343 Boxing / Packaging / Container / Cargobox : Pre-Filling
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

The entire crafting system has no logic to it when it comes to items. It simply checks if the item is the correct type (same ID as the recipe) and uses it.

In order to add any kind of logic like what you're asking for the entire thing would need to be re-done which isn't something that any of us are looking to do any time soon.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Deadly-Bagel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadly-Bagel »

Please don't mind my ignorance but is there a way to have like an "armour upgrade" building that you insert armour into and it "manually" does the recipe, handling equipment in the process? Not the tidiest solution I know but if you need a workaround...
Money might be the root of all evil, but ignorance is the heart.

bobucles
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobucles »

The only way I can see this working is if the vehicle is forced to dump its inventory before it enters another inventory.

This means that players can't run alternate sets of suit armor, since they can only hold onto empty suits.

There is a potential memory leak if an inventory holder is destroyed in an unusual way (like being eaten for a recipe) and the inventory doesn't get cleaned up.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

So, the only real solution available "any time soon" is to re-write the recipe to not take the previous tier item.
Now I don't mind changing things to be like that, but it leaves you with the "dead end" items, which is the reason why the splitters(or was it underground belts?) recipe was changed to require the previous tier and materials, rather than them requiring the same tier belts, and materials.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”