Handling mods that won't load.

Suggestions that have been added to the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Handling mods that won't load.

Post by bobingabout »

I know this isn't a new topic, but due to the recent 0.14.4 update that broke my logistics mod due to requiring an additional tag on train entities, the subject came up again in my sub forum.

What to do when a mod cannot be loaded.

Currently, when a mod fails to load, the game displays an error, and the only option is to quit to desktop. At which point, further attempts to load the game results in the same issue. This leaves the player in the awkward position of having to do something manually... either downgrade the game back to the previous version (As some people mentioned they did to get my mods to work), manually install an updated mod, or remove/disable the offending mod.

Now, Disabling the mod automatically could get quite frustrating for modders, every tiny mistake would require them to re-enable the mod, so this isn't the solution either.

In my opinion, the solution would be that when the dialogue box displaying the error appears, rather than the only option being an "OK" button, that closes the game, there should be 2 options to click. Add in a question along the following line "Would you like to disable the mod and try again?", with the options "Yes" and "No", clicking Yes would do as it says, disable the mod, close the game, and automatically attempt to launch the game again. Selecting No would just close the game as happens now when you press OK.

And that is my suggestion.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

Nexela
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Handling mods that won't load.

Post by Nexela »

I still wonder why it doesn't do it this way.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

I'm sure, that was the plan. ;)

Which looked like
- quit on mod-loading failure
- disable mods, that failed on load

And after some prioritizing it was more like this:
258. quit on mod-loading failure
37402. disable mods, that failed on load

:mrgreen:
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

steinio
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by steinio »

At some time in the past the developers mentioned the plans to add mod loading on map loading instead of game start.
This should also enable update and installation of mods without restart.

Don't know what happens with this idea.

Greetings steinio

Transport Belt Repair Man

View unread Posts

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Well, the code (control.lua etc.) is indeed loaded when a map is loaded/started. But the data initialization (graphics, entities, items...) is on game-startup.

aubergine18
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by aubergine18 »

The biggest task on startup is building the sprite atlas; the rest is just basically merging lua tables. IMO even if the tables need recreating when a mod is disabled, the sprite atlas could be left as is until next game restart. There shouldn't be any need to restart the game when a mod is disabled, just rebuild the data tables.

Hrm... that being said the positions of sprites in the atlas would need remembering somehow. Uhm...
Better forum search for modders: Enclose your search term in quotes, eg. "font_color" or "custom-input" - it prevents the forum search from splitting on hypens and underscores, resulting in much more accurate results.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Hehe, you see the problem: Graphics must be separated from other metadata of entities.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Well, all It really needs to do is remove the mod from the mod list file on launch if it failed previously, so that the game can still actually load.

I mean, modders know what they're doing, and can fix these things, your average player probably doesn't, so removing incompatable mods can be very frustrating.

At the same time, I don't think it should be automatic, because then you'd annoy modders, who would have to constantly be re-enabling mods that they're trying to debug.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

aubergine18
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by aubergine18 »

bobingabout wrote:At the same time, I don't think it should be automatic, because then you'd annoy modders, who would have to constantly be re-enabling mods that they're trying to debug.
What if it worked differently depending on whether the mod is installed as a zip (end-user friendly mode) or folder (modder friendly mode)?
Better forum search for modders: Enclose your search term in quotes, eg. "font_color" or "custom-input" - it prevents the forum search from splitting on hypens and underscores, resulting in much more accurate results.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Added to viewtopic.php?f=80&t=27805 Suggestion around Game-Internal Mods-Handling/Mods-Management

Return to “Implemented Suggestions”