Unofficial Factorio Troll/Griefer Database

Arrange meetings with other people to play MP, announce your servers.
ceymore
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: Unofficial Factorio Troll and Griefer Database (FTGD)

Post by ceymore »

User Gorova logged in and started destroying everything and killing people. Obvious troll. In my opinion we should have a proper DB and ban them, even more if developers adapt it to ban them from multiplayer games for a certain period.

http://imgur.com/a/NPRsb

noliVe
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by noliVe »

the point is you cannot tell a player HOW TO PLAY A GAME
OR any RULES but if you create a server you should have an option to ban those players from your game
you cannot decide for all other players this person should be banned

so if any of you able to code a multiplayer ban database , i would love to participate

Overene
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Overene »

ceymore wrote:User Gorova logged in and started destroying everything and killing people. Obvious troll. In my opinion we should have a proper DB and ban them, even more if developers adapt it to ban them from multiplayer games for a certain period.

http://imgur.com/a/NPRsb
Added.

Bisa
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Bisa »

noliVe wrote:so if any of you able to code a multiplayer ban database , i would love to participate
sorry for the thread hijack - as I wrote earlier, all you really need to do is maintain a copy of the banlist.json file (either via a github repo or manually adding/removing entries from a central location such as this topic) then ensure the file is symlinked/copied to whatever servers you want to use it on.

(if ur looking at hosting a website with all this I might be of some assistance - I suppose one could allow users to submit bans/comment on bans and generate a nightly (hourly even?) flat file... come to think of it, this could be kinda cool - imagine a level or point system on the bans, one could generate multiple levels of "harshness" and allow the flatfile to contain all bans ie "super harsh" or only bans which have been verified by some 3rd part, bans reported multiple times and so on

hit me up on steam m8, let's discuss this :)

*end of thread hijack*
Hosting a factorio server? Take a look at this || init script ||.

luc
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by luc »

I don't think that's hijacking the thread. All content is in the first post and as long as we don't make it a fast-paced 5-page discussion that OP can't reasonably keep up with, it's relevant to discuss here right?

In any case, I have experience with a similar database for another game where we had some problematic players. While the game was team based, friendly fire was almost universally off so you couldn't do much besides being annoying. The community there didn't take well to keeping a shared banlist as it was a fairly minor issue and there was collateral damage from CGNAT. Here griefing is more relevant and I have some thoughts on resolving issues that we'll surely run into. If people want to go through with it, I would like to be involved in the discussion, so let me know how I can participate (I have an old steam account somewhere if that's the way to go).

Bisa
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Bisa »

luc wrote:I don't think that's hijacking the thread. All content is in the first post and as long as we don't make it a fast-paced 5-page discussion that OP can't reasonably keep up with, it's relevant to discuss here right?
Hope not =) we are in fact discussing a database with griefers :idea:

I've never coordinated an open source project before, let alone any project at all to be honest - while I would love to give it a try I'm really looking for someone else with a little more managing skills (or feedback/input from people who did this sort of thing)

- comms, a slack or discord server/group whatever they are (so long as they are free)
- we would need to decide on some general direction topics: php? (what framework?), quality control, a road map for some basic features and so on
- down the line a git repo (on github?)
- and some server(s) to run this on

Bisa
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Bisa »

Bisa wrote:- comms, a slack or discord server/group whatever they are (so long as they are free)
I've actually set up a trello board (private for now till we have a basic vision and perhaps something to showcase till we open it to the public)
if anyone is interested in the idea of developing/maintaining a public banlist.json fueled by player reports, please drop me a pm

Grumpalo
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Grumpalo »

player by the name of chaken, greifed on JVMGuy's public server. chat screenshot file attached to post as well as this imgur link http://imgur.com/a/QR9YK of him burning down part of the factory.
Attachments
other players calling for banning chaken
other players calling for banning chaken
20160925213921_1.jpg (820.13 KiB) Viewed 8835 times

Reverend
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Reverend »

jbev2

I've known him to be a griefer for months. He does the same thing every time I see him on. He plays on a server for a while then gets bored and destroys it. I've known him to do this and I'm not the only one. No i dont have a picture. Just take my word for it.

luc
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by luc »

Reverend wrote:No i dont have a picture. Just take my word for it.
If you know him so well, why not keep an eye out so you can take a screenshot to prove it? For me at least, the way you say it makes me doubt you.

Reverend
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Reverend »

Let him join your server then and you screen shot it. He's banned on the ones I admin before the first smelter is laid down.

Overene
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Overene »

Reverend wrote:Let him join your server then and you screen shot it. He's banned on the ones I admin before the first smelter is laid down.
Can you take a screenshot next time you see him?

Pirion
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Pirion »

First griefer caught with the new change to queuing delete. :)

DarthVader13

King_takes_Queen
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by King_takes_Queen »

Is it considered griefing if one enters a server and changes things around because they feel it isn't correct? For example, if I enter a map and start removing every roundabout and loop I see because I feel that roundabouts and loops are bad?

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

Before redesigning the architecture of a base others have built before you, the least you could do is ask if it's OK.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Deadly-Bagel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadly-Bagel »

Yeah if I have junctions and someone comes in and replaces it all with roundabouts I'd be pretty ticked off.

I've been musing over the metrics that could be used to identify griefers since I last posted in this topic. Destroying entities is obvious, and can be (hopefully) be compared to their recent biters kills or something so you don't get banned for clearing out a bunch of biters that got into the base. It would still count negatively so they'll need to rebuild it.

Obviously players need to be able to modify things without punishment as long as it is improving the factory, which is harder to measure. However ALL players should be benefitting the factory by building, so you could do a scoring system. Something like building an entity gives you 3 points, rotating something docks you 1 point, and picking something up docks you 3 points. This would obviously need to be balanced so say belts have lower impact than assemblers.

Add a timer so that you lose something like 1% of your score every second, this creates a soft cap where it becomes more and more difficult to increase your score. Also if you idle you have more leniency depending on how "good" a player you have been so far.

Now, there is a case of measuring how useful something is when someone builds it, which also needs to influence score. This can be measured in two ways, firstly by how active it is (might be CPU intensive), or secondly by how many of your items remain on the map. I would lean more towards the latter for performance and a few other reasons. This introduces a problem for players stealing a bunch of stuff (say from a chest) and uselessly dropping it down a long way from the base, not sure how to class this negatively. Perhaps for it to count towards your rep it needs to be powered. There are still ways around it but this type of griefer isn't common or particularly disruptive, and can be manually banned (below).

There are also cases where you interact with other players. Fulfilling other players' ghosts for example should give a bonus to reputation, while clearing up after a griefer who dropped assemblers everywhere should not be punished. I think this needs to be handled by comparing the reputation of the two players, if you remove an item built by a player with lower rep than you then you are not penalised for it, or very little. Likewise you would only score better for fulfilling blueprint ghosts if the owner of the ghost has a much higher reputation than you. Also in this subject is chat, communication is encouraged so exchanging chat with other players would score rep, but if you type many messages in a short time frame with nobody else talking then it would score you negatively.

A manual system also needs to be in place for those who fit through the cracks, a simple chat command to report a player drastically reduces their rep (based on your own) but it would need to drop your own rep too. Further (and previous) reports against that player would then improve your rep again.

Lastly we would then need to address how to prevent these systems being abused and other fine tuning. What would stop a pair of griefers joining a game, talking to each other to gain rep then deleting everything new users build to abuse the lower rep drop? How do you handle endgame when you have a roboport? If building is good, how do you measure grief building? Stuff I still need to work out.
Money might be the root of all evil, but ignorance is the heart.

King_takes_Queen
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by King_takes_Queen »

I ask because recently Colonel Will and his friends have been joining several MP games (they usually pick ones where no one is currently playing so that they are the only ones online) and then rehaul parts of the map that they consider need fixing.

To be honest I found this very educational to watch because Will and his crew have extensive knowledge about the game which comes from thousands of hours of playing and experimenting. Many of their designs and builds have become established and respected within the factorio player community. So at first I was all for him going into public games and showing other players how to do things right.

But I feel he crossed the line at one point when after severe reconstructing of someones base he was kicked off and banned, then in retaliation he ordered his other friends still on the map to start "burning everything down". They began destroying the base and the map owner was forced to reload the map from a previous save.

This incident occured about a week ago and I was conflicted on whether or not to report this behaviour since I am an avid viewer of Col Will and his engineers and actually wanted to see him continue these random map visits. Since the event happened he has deleted that particular vod and visited other maps and attempted to "fix" them. I kind of hoped that the incident was only a one time thing and he'd refrain from doing something like that again.

About two days ago he visited the reddit mmo server map and he and his friends started redesigning major parts of the base that they felt were wrong. You can find the VOD here. https://www.twitch.tv/colonelwill/v/95715578
As you will see it is a major rehaul. Huge parts of the base are deconstructed and hours of someone's work was wiped away.

At about 2:20:00 he reminds his friends that if they get banned again "they know what to do". Clip is here: https://clips.twitch.tv/colonelwill/Con ... earMingLee

Now, watching just that clip one might think that he wasn't being serious. But after seeing what he did previously I am pretty sure he would have had that base destroyed if he or his friends did get kicked off.

Deadly-Bagel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadly-Bagel »

I would argue that multiplayer isn't about your own designs, it's about cooperative designs. What's the point if you have one guy going around making every factory the same? And it invalidates the work everyone else has done to that point. Sure if he came in and expanded factories, perhaps the occasional tweak where a section wasn't up to scratch or hadn't been revisited since the start of the game, then go for it but just rewriting everything isn't the spirit of multiplayer.
Money might be the root of all evil, but ignorance is the heart.

SockPuppet
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by SockPuppet »

Found two guys destroying the factory in one of the EU servers, shooting other players. They admitted destroying it for fun it in the chat. I can show proof of the chat and a save game with the factory, but my post level is too low to PM.

It makes a nice scenario though. Here's a somewhat large base, walled in, just before purple science, with somewhat of a main bus, now three quarters destroyed, no power, defenses present but failing in multiple areas, medium to large biters are entering from multiple directions. Nights are scary as solar power goes out, and with that the ammo refil stops and biters get free access. It is still recoverable, not impossible. Well.. until they started hunting me.

Anyone
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Anyone »

Heya,

I got redirected here... I would like to report fortas16, he joined our game, put a deconstruction planner up and half our factory got removed. He also killed some players in the process. We could not fix it and had to ask an admin to put a save file back. Sadly the game just saved after he left and we lost 40 minutes of play time.

Return to “Multiplayer”