[Question] - Factorio map editor for multiple surfaces.

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
HeilTec
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

[Question] - Factorio map editor for multiple surfaces.

Post by HeilTec »

Inspired by the factorio team challenge scenario I would like to try making some different kinds of MP scenarios.

First stop was - Factorio -> Edit - Scenario -> team-production-0.3.9
This was not any help as there was just a square of concrete tiles.

Then I looked in the folder C:\Users\HeilTec\AppData\Roaming\Factorio\scenarios\team-production-0.3.9
and found that the areas are generated by a script. {1}
Since I wanted to edit the maps to be used in the scenario I like to try to make I struck a wall there too.

Then I when to a google search spree using "factorio map editor" as base search and adding words like scenario and surface, but wasted my time. no documentation nor tips on this problem was obvious.

As a last resort I went to the IRC channel #factorio on esper.net in the hopes of meeting some knowledgeable person or a developer even.
chat
So here I am - still unable to find good use of the map editor and unable to just start on the scenario I want to make.

---
(added notes)
{1} The script looks like it was generated from a map with the many decimals in the positions. If I could see the script making that script it might help.
Last edited by HeilTec on Thu Sep 22, 2016 10:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Google is my friend. Searching the forum and the wiki is always a first.

DaveMcW
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [Question] - Factorio map editor for multiple surfaces.

Post by DaveMcW »

That is not a feature the map editor supports.

HeilTec
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by HeilTec »

DaveMcW wrote:That is not a feature the map editor supports. The production challenge was built by script, and must be edited by script.
I am not trying to make another production challenge. My idea is just inspired by the challenge scenario.

I am looking for a way to create multiple surfaces by editing maps and a way to integrate them.
Obviously some much effort in scripting is needed for the logic and player control, but that is not the problem.

As an example imagine choosing among several different maps on entering a server.
Each map a natural looking world customized for the scenario play using map editor.
Google is my friend. Searching the forum and the wiki is always a first.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

I think before the map editor can be useful Factorio needs to make clear how to edit a map, many maps (some surfaces) and a scenario and what follow after that is completely unexplored country.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Return to “General discussion”