pyanodon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.14.x] pY Coal Processing

Post by pyanodon »

aklesey1 wrote:Ok as u want, but your will contain elements from petrochem:
1) Methanol,
2) Acid gas
3) Aalso u have your version of your syn gas with another texture, petrochem mod also have syn gas
4) Petrochem mod also have some elements of coal processing, with geting sulfur
I think the depenndncy to petrochem will be one of important goals in development of your mod

I like when all mods are maximally compatible with each other so one mod each mod can complement the other mod in different parts :D

Waiting for new version of your mod

Oh... didnt know they have that common ingredients... But for sure i will make it compatible in the future if i can. Compatible, not dependency. Like some little coding to detect petrochem and change some recipes. It on my to-do list on first page turn this mod compatible with Angel´s mod.
pY Coal processing mod
Discord: Pyanodon #5791

pyanodon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by pyanodon »

Greetings fellow builders!

I was working with Nexela in coding some building here and it coming out great so far. For now here i have the methanol reactor, a secondary and probably will be very useful building that can convert syngas into methanol and even some "waste products" on it such hydrogen and CO2, using some catalysts such copper and zinc to produce methanol in canisters (suggestion from aubergine18), so it can be transported by belts,train and robots to other places of your factory more easily. Methanol in green science will be useful to make the refined syngas, but in blue science, the methanol potential will be unleashed. :) Keep your energy in a good state because that lil monster will eat a lot of it. :)

Last edited by pyanodon on Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
pY Coal processing mod

Arch666Angel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Arch666Angel »

Oho! Looks like you found your rhythm with creating all the beautiful models. Keep it coming!

Nice to hear that nexela gave you a hand :)
Like aklesey1 there are some products I have in Petrochems as well, although I'm still adding stuff here and there :

aklesey1
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by aklesey1 »

You guys - Pyanodon and Arch666Angel - making very cool creations, i like it :)
I would be very grateful if this mod and angel mods will be friends ;) like it with bob mods now

I'm respect opinion of all our talented moders, but lets think if many useful and interesting mods will operate under separate? Think do u will u like it? :?:
Nickname on ModPortal - Naron79

pyanodon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by pyanodon »

Arch666Angel wrote:Oho! Looks like you found your rhythm with creating all the beautiful models. Keep it coming!

Nice to hear that nexela gave you a hand :)
Like aklesey1 there are some products I have in Petrochems as well, although I'm still adding stuff here and there :
Is always nice to see you´re here following that thread my friend. All that started thanks to your help :D

Didnt know your petrochem use same ingredients as my mod. But it´s logical that mess with coal and oil would sooner or later exchange some data. THank you.

aklesey1 wrote:You guys - Pyanodon and Arch666Angel - making very cool creations, i like it :)
I would be very grateful if this mod and angel mods will be friends ;) like it with bob mods now

I'm respect opinion of all our talented moders, but lets think if many useful and interesting mods will operate under separate? Think do u will u like it? :?:
ahh...one day our mods will be compatible :D
pY Coal processing mod

Lap
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Lap »

Love the mod. Two pieces of feedback.

I tend to not have enough use for the creosote. I think it would be good to have other options for creosote or to decrease the total amount produced.

Secondly, it would be nice to add support for the bio industries "Big Wooden Poles" and have them use creosote.

aubergine18
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by aubergine18 »

Following on from an earlier conversation, it looks like the Additional Turrets mod has added an "acid turret" of some kind: https://mods.factorio.com/mods/sore68/Additional-Turret
Better forum search for modders: Enclose your search term in quotes, eg. "font_color" or "custom-input" - it prevents the forum search from splitting on hypens and underscores, resulting in much more accurate results.

pyanodon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by pyanodon »

Lap wrote:Love the mod. Two pieces of feedback.

I tend to not have enough use for the creosote. I think it would be good to have other options for creosote or to decrease the total amount produced.

Secondly, it would be nice to add support for the bio industries "Big Wooden Poles" and have them use creosote.

Ahhh i answered that before in previous pages, creosote will have a good use in blue science tier. So, store it for later :D

Compatibility with Bio industries may come. But first, i need to bring it all up here first. Thank you!
pY Coal processing mod

pyanodon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by pyanodon »

Today i bring a big big news for this mod. Nexela helped me a lot to bring life to a special building in this mod called Taling-pond. Similar to the real tailing ponds, that building holds waste water and dirty water from the coal processing, it´s big, have a nice capacity and you can use it to store fluids or venting gases. But as the RL tailing ponds, it´s very environment damaging, when filled to max, it can spill and pollute the terrain, venting gases on it will increase air pollution too. This special building was made to receive dirty water from the quenching tower, a building were you can process your tar to extract everything you can from it (flue gas, small quantities of salt, zinc and lead) and of course, tons of dirty water, almost a slurry from coal powder and wastes. What we can do with it? well, in the next update :D

Here, enjoy the results of our hard work. (the tailing pond isnt animated in the gif because it´s very coded, but it changes the fluid level and the lil antenna rotates too. :) :mrgreen:

A special thanks to Nexela, this building couldnt be possible without his master coding skills.
Last edited by pyanodon on Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
pY Coal processing mod

aubergine18
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by aubergine18 »

That water effect is amazing!

Also, I like that the building has some dirt on it :)
Better forum search for modders: Enclose your search term in quotes, eg. "font_color" or "custom-input" - it prevents the forum search from splitting on hypens and underscores, resulting in much more accurate results.

pyanodon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by pyanodon »

While we´re working here to bring the 2.1, here another building you may use in that mod. A high-pressured furnace, a furnace made to burn and cook ingredients without the presence of oxygen. So, it will use an inert gas such nitrogen in some cases and maybe in the future, argon. In green science, that building will produce mainly the activated carbon, a very useful ingredient for filters to use in the carbon filter mainly. :)

Last edited by pyanodon on Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
pY Coal processing mod

aubergine18
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by aubergine18 »

Love the inside of the furnace!

It might be worth adding some smoke effects provided by the base game, as they will be affected by wind and move away from building for more natural feel. See GotLag's recent "Reactor" mod for examples (I'm pretty sure he uses smoke effects for the cooling towers, etc): https://mods.factorio.com/mods/GotLag/Reactors

pyanodon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by pyanodon »

aubergine18 wrote:Love the inside of the furnace!

It might be worth adding some smoke effects provided by the base game, as they will be affected by wind and move away from building for more natural feel. See GotLag's recent "Reactor" mod for examples (I'm pretty sure he uses smoke effects for the cooling towers, etc): https://mods.factorio.com/mods/GotLag/Reactors

Thank you!
Oh i see his mod, it´s beautiful what he did with the cooling towers was amazing, It was very interesting to me because my MK02 and MK03 gas turbines will need cooling towers, but i have NO idea how to make it work. XD Im trying to see with Nexela if there´s way to put smoke in "non-burner" buildings since in the vanilla game, only burners can produce smoke unfortunately. I took a look into his mod and that cooling tower is very coded. well..lets see what we can do.

The lil "puff" in the side may still, but the main chimneys would be great with real smoke.
pY Coal processing mod

aklesey1
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by aklesey1 »

I can not wait the moment when I will be able to do the asphalt with this unique mod :)

CrazyCode
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by CrazyCode »

Hi,

Had great fun trying out your new mod. The graphics are done to such a high quality and I have liked the added game play.

I have a few things i have noticed while using the mod.

Creosote - Keeping a single gas turbine mk1 operational produces an over abundance of creosote this could be cut from 5 to 1 and still have a sufficient supply.
Coke - Sane as creosote so will be interesting to see how this is balanced with the sealed furnace, the fuel value also seems a little high (In comparison Petrochem coke is still only 5MJ) as an off product of a process that is already used to produce high energy fuel (syngas). This also leads to a massive over supply of coke.

Crafting speed -The difference crafting speed of the same tier buildings threw me off for a bit. Specifically everything being 0.75 apart from the Gasifier which is 1.25, this makes pre-calculating structure quantities just that bit more frustrating when starting to play with the mod for the first time.

It will be interesting to see what effect the gas turbine changes are in the next phase. I did not consider it too unbalanced in this release as the sheer quantity of coal you have to burn through to make that much power combined with the number of buildings/space/setup to power a single generator is quiet sizable. I would be interested to know what the maximum rate of consumption of syngas in the generator is.

As a small note the model for the Gas Turbine looks like it should be a 3x3/3x2 rather than 2x2 as it does not stay within that bounding box and if you lay pipe down directly adjacent it goes through the structure of the tower.

I would be interested to try the mod with the coal gas recipe giving 1/2 the coke (2) with a lower fuel value and creosote being 10 to 2 and seeing how that feels balance wise.
As a possible alternative use for Tar it also could be cracked/separated as it contains light oils as well as creosote and pitch / coke, with the creosote being used as is and the pitch being used for asphalt with light oil always being a usefull byproduct.

Looking forward to seeing you next models.

pyanodon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by pyanodon »

aklesey1 wrote:I can not wait the moment when I will be able to do the asphalt with this unique mod :)
Ahh soon my friend, soon. :D My buildings look better over asphalt. Poor planet ahaha

CrazyCode wrote:Hi,

Had great fun trying out your new mod. The graphics are done to such a high quality and I have liked the added game play.

I have a few things i have noticed while using the mod.

Creosote - Keeping a single gas turbine mk1 operational produces an over abundance of creosote this could be cut from 5 to 1 and still have a sufficient supply.
Coke - Sane as creosote so will be interesting to see how this is balanced with the sealed furnace, the fuel value also seems a little high (In comparison Petrochem coke is still only 5MJ) as an off product of a process that is already used to produce high energy fuel (syngas). This also leads to a massive over supply of coke.

Crafting speed -The difference crafting speed of the same tier buildings threw me off for a bit. Specifically everything being 0.75 apart from the Gasifier which is 1.25, this makes pre-calculating structure quantities just that bit more frustrating when starting to play with the mod for the first time.

It will be interesting to see what effect the gas turbine changes are in the next phase. I did not consider it too unbalanced in this release as the sheer quantity of coal you have to burn through to make that much power combined with the number of buildings/space/setup to power a single generator is quiet sizable. I would be interested to know what the maximum rate of consumption of syngas in the generator is.

As a small note the model for the Gas Turbine looks like it should be a 3x3/3x2 rather than 2x2 as it does not stay within that bounding box and if you lay pipe down directly adjacent it goes through the structure of the tower.

I would be interested to try the mod with the coal gas recipe giving 1/2 the coke (2) with a lower fuel value and creosote being 10 to 2 and seeing how that feels balance wise.
As a possible alternative use for Tar it also could be cracked/separated as it contains light oils as well as creosote and pitch / coke, with the creosote being used as is and the pitch being used for asphalt with light oil always being a useful byproduct.

Looking forward to seeing you next models.

Thank you for your feedback!

About the creosote overproduction it was intended to bring problems, but that problems is temporary. You start producing a lot of it in the red science, but in the blue science creosote will be very useful since it can be used to create plastics, rubber, light oil, lube, phenol(for resin) and explosives. The challenge here is store all that creosote while you develop until blue science tier. But i will take a look and will tone down the creosote production a bit. You can use the tailings-pond building to hold all that production in the next update.
Oh the coke overproduction ahha, that was already balanced here in the 2.1 we cut a lot of their production, but not the burning value, i may take a look on it thanks to you. The conversion to activated carbon in the furnace will eat a lot of it too and activated carbon is another ingredient that will be very used in this mod. After launching the 2.1, i will sure will need to balance that two things.
About the crafting speed, not much i can do since the idea isnt made it all equal. For example, you may need two distillation column to feed one gasifier. I will balance that and make a chart to inform how many buildings you may need to keep a constant production of syngas and future other fuels.
The gas turbine MK01 is very dirt and have low efficiency. At full power, it will eat all your syngas production from one gasifier. These turbines can be put side-by-side to feed each other, i see no issues in connecting them, maybe we adjusted it in 2.1 and i dont remember. XD
Tar is very useful in this mod, with the quenching tower, it´s break into some minerals and produce a lot of tailings which can be reprocessed later. Also you may use the tar processing unit to convert tar into Carbon (bobs). In the blue science, you can even extract carbon from the creosote ;) Oil you can extract from tar in the blue science tier too.
pY Coal processing mod

aklesey1
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by aklesey1 »

I have question about py ash? What is the nature of this ash? This is some type of coal sludge?
Yuoki mod also have cool turbines and another modern source of energy generation - will you use the experience of this mod?

pyanodon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by pyanodon »

aklesey1 wrote:I have question about py ash? What is the nature of this ash? This is some type of coal sludge?
Yuoki mod also have cool turbines and another modern source of energy generation - will you use the experience of this mod?
When you gasify coal or coal-like substances there's always some bottom ash in the gasifier, is just one of many kinds of "coal sludge". For now you can use it to make asphalt. Compatibility with yuoki's mods may come, but not primary. All turbines of yuoki are moved by some hot fluid. My turbines eats only specific cool fluids such syngas.
pY Coal processing mod

CrazyCode
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by CrazyCode »

Thank you for your feedback!

About the creosote overproduction it was intended to bring problems, but that problems is temporary. You start producing a lot of it in the red science, but in the blue science creosote will be very useful since it can be used to create plastics, rubber, light oil, lube, phenol(for resin) and explosives. The challenge here is store all that creosote while you develop until blue science tier. But i will take a look and will tone down the creosote production a bit. You can use the tailings-pond building to hold all that production in the next update.
Oh the coke overproduction ahha, that was already balanced here in the 2.1 we cut a lot of their production, but not the burning value, i may take a look on it thanks to you. The conversion to activated carbon in the furnace will eat a lot of it too and activated carbon is another ingredient that will be very used in this mod. After launching the 2.1, i will sure will need to balance that two things.
About the crafting speed, not much i can do since the idea isnt made it all equal. For example, you may need two distillation column to feed one gasifier. I will balance that and make a chart to inform how many buildings you may need to keep a constant production of syngas and future other fuels.
The gas turbine MK01 is very dirt and have low efficiency. At full power, it will eat all your syngas production from one gasifier. These turbines can be put side-by-side to feed each other, i see no issues in connecting them, maybe we adjusted it in 2.1 and i dont remember. XD
Tar is very useful in this mod, with the quenching tower, it´s break into some minerals and produce a lot of tailings which can be reprocessed later. Also you may use the tar processing unit to convert tar into Carbon (bobs). In the blue science, you can even extract carbon from the creosote ;) Oil you can extract from tar in the blue science tier too.
Thanks for the in-depth response, especially the details on how things will change as part of your plan going forward, its interesting to understand the concepts behind how things are at the moment.

In regards to the crafting speed it just took a second to get used to but all in all, i enjoy the added layer of complexity on working out exactly how to get perfect ratios.

For the gas turbine the following shows the example:
When the connected are on the sides the bounding box is correct. However when on its side as you can see it over laps the side pipe, while still connecting and working fine it just looks odd.

Looks like 2.1 will be a major content update. I will look forward to trying it out and giving you more feedback.

aklesey1
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by aklesey1 »

Some compatibility with yuoki mod we can have in future i think - with dirt water or may be with waste water from angel mods, i think this part of compatibility is easy to realise ;)
Its interesting - angel mods already supports yuoki dirt water - i if youki mods is installed i can produce yuoki dirt water with one recipe

Return to “PyMods”