[ALL] Mod Errors leave the game broken

This subforum contains all the issues which we already resolved.
Lennartos
Inserter
Inserter

[ALL] Mod Errors leave the game broken

Post by Lennartos »

Short description: If there is a error in a mod the game cannot be started.
For example we got the error today:
"File:xxxx/info.json not found"
Which was caused by a faulty upload to the modding site (Electric Vehicles ), which has been fixed in a newer version of the mod.

But unless you are a power used that can delete the files in the hidden roaming folder,
You are left with the game in a broken state where one cannot update the mod to get a fix, nor delete it to remove the issue.
The error was caused by in-game UI, and as such should be resolvable by in-game UI-

Solution should be:
If a error is detected that mod should be disabled, and marked as red on the modlist, so it can be deleted or a update be checked.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [ALL] Mod Errors leave the game broken

Post by Rseding91 »

Lennartos wrote:Short description: If there is a error in a mod the game cannot be started.
For example we got the error today:
"File:xxxx/info.json not found"
Which was caused by a faulty upload to the modding site (Electric Vehicles ), which has been fixed in a newer version of the mod.

But unless you are a power used that can delete the files in the hidden roaming folder,
You are left with the game in a broken state where one cannot update the mod to get a fix, nor delete it to remove the issue.
The error was caused by in-game UI, and as such should be resolvable by in-game UI-

Solution should be:
If a error is detected that mod should be disabled, and marked as red on the modlist, so it can be deleted or a update be checked.
That would make developing a mod near impossible because the game would keep turning it off every time you made a mistake. There's no perfect solution to the problem. People simply need to not upload broken mods to the mod portal.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Lennartos
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Lennartos »

My point here is that the game is broken while using ingame-UI.

Its not a modders responsibility if the game is left in a broken state - unable to start.. by just using in-game UI.
Once the modder fixed the issue, then his work should be done.

The game should ALWAYS be able to start, and fetch said update.. or give the player the option to delete it.
providing entry level players the ability to use mods with the ingame UI was a good move, but you cannot expect them to magically find a hidden folder to delete a zip file to be able to play again in case the game bugs out.

The correct solution still is that If an error is detected while loading a mod, the game should skip it and continue to load others. ( essentially disabling it)
For modders this doesn't make any difference as they still get the error message during startup.

Edit:
for clarity - ingame CTD are ok... the issue is beeing unable to remedy the situation for a normal user.

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Loewchen »

Rseding91 wrote:That would make developing a mod near impossible because the game would keep turning it off every time you made a mistake. There's no perfect solution to the problem. People simply need to not upload broken mods to the mod portal.
Maybe the the error message could be more direct, this might have changed, but last time I had this issue the error message looked something like this: download/file.php?id=6056, some users don't even understand that its a mod issue.
It goes beyond a bugfix but if the message mentioned that a mod is not working properly and needs to be removed with a button to copy the directory to the clipboard, then this would not come up so often.
(Was about to make a development suggestion for exactly this, right before I saw the report)

Nexela
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Nexela »

Or any errors in the data stage could have [Delete Mod and restart][Disable Mod and restart] [Exit] button.

Bondmint
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Bondmint »

What do you do if mods were never installed. I never installed mods and get an error similar to this.
Attachments
factorio_err.PNG
factorio_err.PNG (27.24 KiB) Viewed 3289 times

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Loewchen »

Bondmint wrote:What do you do if mods were never installed. I never installed mods and get an error similar to this.
This is not the topic of this report.

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

So it seems we won't fix this

Oxyd
Former Staff
Former Staff

Post by Oxyd »

Klonan wrote:So it seems we won't fix this
I would say this is fixed by the “Disable all mods / Restart / Exit” dialog you now get in these situations, since you can disable the mod – through the game UI – and have the game start. Which I think is what this thread was originally about.

Return to “Resolved Problems and Bugs”