Steam Locomotives

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Almalexia
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Steam Locomotives

Post by Almalexia »

Considering current locomotives run on solids, yet are called diesel locomotives, and considering the game is very steampunky, how about converting the current locomotives to steam locomotives and making diesel ones a higher tier (with possible advantages like greater speed, greater fuel capacity, more health, a larger equipment grid etc)? Since the devs are already working on making liquids work with trains, I don't suppose it would be much of a jump to make it so the new, higher tier locomotives would run on liquid fuel :)
The current locomotive skin/model would move to the higher tier liquid fuel locomotives, so a new one would be required for the steam locomotives; no other change to current locomotives would be required.
Also, I see now that there is an electric locomotive suggestion thread on here, so maybe that could be tier 3? :)
And I think I've just exceeded my "locomotives" typing quota for the decade :p

OdinYggd
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Steam Locomotives

Post by OdinYggd »

The other thread is also talking about steam locomotives, since a lot of people seem interested in having that as the beginner locomotive then later in game moving to diesel and electric options.

Interestingly enough, the existing diesel engine is not as unrealistic as one might think.

Historically, diesel engines have been constructed that were capable of directly burning coal. These engines would pulverize the coal to a fine powder, then use an air blast to introduce the coal dust into the cylinder with a timing similar to what a normal diesel engine does.

While functional, the coal would leave behind some ash that mixed with the lube oil, producing a nasty grit that would chew up the engine's hardware. Because of that, when more suitable oil based fuels became available the coal burning diesel was shelved in the museum.

But given the fuel versatility and logistics currently implemented with trains, the steam locomotive seems a better fit. With the fluid handling revamp it might even become possible to make a steam locomotive that consumes both fuel and water to operate, just like the real ones did.
In my mind, Steam is the eternal king of the railway.

Almalexia
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Almalexia »

OdinYggd wrote:The other thread is also talking about steam locomotives, since a lot of people seem interested in having that as the beginner locomotive then later in game moving to diesel and electric options.

Interestingly enough, the existing diesel engine is not as unrealistic as one might think.

Historically, diesel engines have been constructed that were capable of directly burning coal. These engines would pulverize the coal to a fine powder, then use an air blast to introduce the coal dust into the cylinder with a timing similar to what a normal diesel engine does.

While functional, the coal would leave behind some ash that mixed with the lube oil, producing a nasty grit that would chew up the engine's hardware. Because of that, when more suitable oil based fuels became available the coal burning diesel was shelved in the museum.

But given the fuel versatility and logistics currently implemented with trains, the steam locomotive seems a better fit. With the fluid handling revamp it might even become possible to make a steam locomotive that consumes both fuel and water to operate, just like the real ones did.
Yes, yes, yes!

(and I forgot to mention water, derp)

Water would make tier 1 trickier tho, because locomotives would require solid fuel *and* water, so "just liquid fuel" would be a reason to want to move on :)

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

We hadn't that suggestion now a longer time not more. :)
Added to viewtopic.php?f=80&t=17734 New types of vehicles (train, tank, car, plane, ship...)
Seach for "steam". or use link search.php?keywords=%22Steam+Engine+Tra ... sf=msgonly
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”