[MOD 1.1] Natural Evolution - All things Alien!

Topics and discussion about specific mods
TheSAguy
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.12.x | 0.13.x] Natural Evolution - All things Alien! - 6.2.1

Post by TheSAguy »

Nexela wrote:
Nexela wrote:
Berkys32 wrote:I dont know why, but Artifact collector cant be picked using "Picker" mod or even build via blueprint or removed with deconstruction planner
As to "picker" This is because the "placed" collector does not have an item-prototype associated with it. I will shoot the author of picker the fix for that shortly.

And I have a fix for blueprint/deconstruction which still allows the range circle but it now shows up as a chest correctly :)
You are right about the prototype.
This fix you have, is it needed on my end or "picker" mod end?

TheSAguy
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.12.x | 0.13.x] Natural Evolution - All things Alien! - 6.2.4

Post by TheSAguy »

doktorstick wrote:When constructing a new terraforming building N, how is its effectiveness calculated?
  • 1 - 0.15N -- e.g., 0% effectiveness on 7th building
  • 1 * 0.85^N -- e.g., 32% effectiveness on 7th building

Cheers.
Each you add decrease the overall efficiently.
1 is 100%
2 would make each 85% effective.
Here is the code:

Code: Select all

function GetFactorPerTerraformingStation(numTerraformingStations)
   local res = 1
   -- Calculate the total evolution reduction.
   if numTerraformingStations > 1 then
	for i = 1, (numTerraformingStations-1) do
      res = res + math.pow(0.85, i) -- Each consecutive Terraforming station is only 85% as effective.
	end
   end

-- Return the evolution reduction per Terraforming Station.
   return res / numTerraformingStations
end
and

---- Each time a Terraforming Station scans a sector, reduce the evolution factor ----	
	if event.radar.name == "TerraformingStation" then

reduction = ((0.00025 * global.factormultiplier) * game.evolution_factor * (1 - game.evolution_factor))
		if game.evolution_factor > reduction then
			game.evolution_factor = game.evolution_factor - reduction
			global.Total_TerraformingStations_Evo_Deduction = global.Total_TerraformingStations_Evo_Deduction + reduction
		end

end

So the more you add, the more evo will go down, but energy cost would be higher for the return.
Last edited by TheSAguy on Mon Aug 29, 2016 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nexela
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Nexela »

One fix for picker, one fix for your mod. I still need to do some tweaking to it though. And while I was working with this I found a creative mode mod problem :)

TheSAguy
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by TheSAguy »

Nexela wrote:One fix for picker, one fix for your mod. I still need to do some tweaking to it though. And while I was working with this I found a creative mode mod problem :)
The alien control station might have same issue

Wendigo
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Wendigo »

Recently loaded up a save game from before the large update and got this error. Not too sure if it can be helped.

TheSAguy
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by TheSAguy »

Wendigo wrote: Recently loaded up a save game from before the large update and got this error. Not too sure if it can be helped.
In the config of NE Buildings and NE Expansion, set "Single_Player_Only" to false. This will disable the EvoGUI interface.
Not sure why this sometimes happens.

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

@Wendigo:
Can you check if that issue happens only with EvoGUI and Natural evolution?

If it does then please post the save and I'll try to see whats exploding in new and interesting ways.

DerGraue
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by DerGraue »

TheSAguy wrote: ---- Each time a Terraforming Station scans a sector, reduce the evolution factor ----

reduction = ((0.00025 * global.factormultiplier) * game.evolution_factor * (1 - game.evolution_factor))
global.Total_TerraformingStations_Evo_Deduction = global.Total_TerraformingStations_Evo_Deduction + reduction
end

end

So, does this mean that if I reach 100% evoltion factor there will be no reduction anymore? Because (1 - game.evolution_factor) = 1-1 = 0
Also, it's game.evolution_factor * (1 - game.evolution_factor), that means the strongest reduction is always at exactly 50% for a set number of Terraforming Stations, right?

Am I missing something? Because that kinda sounds counterintuitive.

doktorstick
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by doktorstick »

Is anyone seeing an unknown key error when picking up the small artifacts? As if the localization is missing?

TheSAguy
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by TheSAguy »

DerGraue wrote:
TheSAguy wrote: ---- Each time a Terraforming Station scans a sector, reduce the evolution factor ----

end

end

So, does this mean that if I reach 100% evoltion factor there will be no reduction anymore? Because (1 - game.evolution_factor) = 1-1 = 0
Also, it's game.evolution_factor * (1 - game.evolution_factor), that means the strongest reduction is always at exactly 50% for a set number of Terraforming Stations, right?

Am I missing something? Because that kinda sounds counterintuitive.
At the time it made sense... but can't exactly recall why now.
I've attached the most common ways the deduction curve can be used. In the next update I'm going to use (1-evo)^2. You are right though that at 100% the deduction will be 0. So I'll add a condition that after 95% it will remain at the 95% deduction level.

So next update I think the code will be:

---- Each time a Terraforming Station scans a sector, reduce the evolution factor ----	

reduction = ((0.00025 * global.factormultiplier) * (1 - game.evolution_factor) * (1 - game.evolution_factor))
		reduction95 = ((0.00025 * global.factormultiplier) * (1 - 0.95) * (1 - 0.95))

if game.evolution_factor > 0.95 and  game.evolution_factor > reduction95 then

game.evolution_factor = game.evolution_factor - reduction95
			global.Total_TerraformingStations_Evo_Deduction = global.Total_TerraformingStations_Evo_Deduction + reduction95

elseif game.evolution_factor > reduction then
		end

end
Attachments
Evo.png
Evo.png (45 KiB) Viewed 8080 times

TheSAguy
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.12.x | 0.14.x] Natural Evolution - All things Alien! - 6.3.1

Post by TheSAguy »

Some Updates:
V6.3.0 - Updated to Factorio 0.14

------

V6.3.1 - NE Expansion - Tweak to deduction after each phase. From (1-Evo) to (1-Evo)^2
V6.3.1 - NE Enemies - Tweak to Enemy Attacks and Resistances. Healthy attack more with Physical and has more Physical Resistances. Infected attack more with Poison and has Poison / Explosion Resistances. Mutated attack more with Acid and has Acid / Laser Resistances. So you'll need a balanced defense.
V6.3.1 - NE Buildings - Tweak to how Terraforming Station reduces Evolution. Changed from Evo * (1-Evo) to (1-Evo)^2

DerGraue
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by DerGraue »

TheSAguy wrote:V6.3.1 - NE Expansion - Tweak to deduction after each phase. From (1-Evo) to (1-Evo)^2
Hmm, I don't like this change really and this is why:
With your mod you normally want a challenge with the biters and you probably want to have a large base.
So let's say, you have a large, working factory that produces some pollution and you have a good number of Terraforming Stations, like 20-30 maybe. At this point you can't really reduce the evolation factor further by building more Terraforming Stations, so the only thing that matters for the evolution factor is the pollution. Now let's assume everything works in your factory, you have enough raw materials and therefore you produce a constant amount of pollution. There are now two possibilities in a timeframe T for every Station to scan obviously:
A: The evolution factor is reduced or B: it increases.

If A is the case than in the following scans the evoltion factor will be reduced even faster, because of (1-Evo)^2. This will go on untill an evolution of ~0% is reached which is also the point where your Terraforming Stations work best.

However if B is the case and your base growths large enough and produces so much polltion that it can't be compensated by the Terraforming Stations then with the following scans in each timeframe T the evolution factor will go up even faster. And faster. Until it reaches over 95% at which point your Terraforming Stations are 0,25% as effective as they where when you were at 0% evolution factor. And the only way to reduce it is basically to shut down your factory.

That's what I don't like. Shortly after the start of the game, you build your Stations -> 0% evolution factor, all the time, you build a large base-> 0%, you build a megabase -> 0%, you build a super mega base, and hit the threshold -> suddenly 100%. Why no linear increase in the effectivity of your Terraforming Stations as the evolution factor goes up? The more pollution, the larger the base, the harder the Aliens. x = Evo, instead of x = (1-Evo)^2

TheSAguy
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by TheSAguy »

DerGraue wrote:
TheSAguy wrote:V6.3.1 - NE Buildings - Tweak to how Terraforming Station reduces Evolution. Changed from Evo * (1-Evo) to (1-Evo)^2
Hmm, I don't like this change really and this is why:
With your mod you normally want a challenge with the biters and you probably want to have a large base.
So let's say, you have a large, working factory that produces some pollution and you have a good number of Terraforming Stations, like 20-30 maybe. At this point you can't really reduce the evolation factor further by building more Terraforming Stations, so the only thing that matters for the evolution factor is the pollution. Now let's assume everything works in your factory, you have enough raw materials and therefore you produce a constant amount of pollution. There are now two possibilities in a timeframe T for every Station to scan obviously:
A: The evolution factor is reduced or B: it increases.

If A is the case than in the following scans the evoltion factor will be reduced even faster, because of (1-Evo)^2. This will go on untill an evolution of ~0% is reached which is also the point where your Terraforming Stations work best.

However if B is the case and your base growths large enough and produces so much polltion that it can't be compensated by the Terraforming Stations then with the following scans in each timeframe T the evolution factor will go up even faster. And faster. Until it reaches over 95% at which point your Terraforming Stations are 0,25% as effective as they where when you were at 0% evolution factor. And the only way to reduce it is basically to shut down your factory.

That's what I don't like. Shortly after the start of the game, you build your Stations -> 0% evolution factor, all the time, you build a large base-> 0%, you build a megabase -> 0%, you build a super mega base, and hit the threshold -> suddenly 100%. Why no linear increase in the effectivity of your Terraforming Stations as the evolution factor goes up? The more pollution, the larger the base, the harder the Aliens. x = Evo, instead of x = (1-Evo)^2
Thanks for your feedback DerGraue,
Remember that the game's natural evolution curve is (1-Evo)^2. Meaning the higher the evolution becomes, the less effect Pollution, Time and Killing Enemy Bases has.
It's always been a big concern of mine the the T-Station would be OP. Since it's the only building that actually can reduce the Evolution factor. The vanilla game has no mechanic that reduces evolution.

So what I did in the recent update was change it from Evo * (1-Evo) to (1-Evo)^2. That's the Red line to toe purple line in the chart.

The reason I did this was that in my last two games, it felt like I was stuck at 50% evolution. Since that' where the T-Station is at it's strongest.
Why should it be the strongest at 50%? There does not seem any logical reason for this...

As I see it, we have the below 6 options. Having the Station stronger at higher evo will almost certainly be OP. Since the games natural evo curve is (1-Evo)^2.

I'd love to get some more feedback. Anyone else have any opinions on this? Again, I don't want an OP building. The purpose of the T-Station is to slow down evolution, not really reverse it.

Feedback please.

Berkys32
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Berkys32 »

Im not sure if I understand it right - before I was able to decreas evolution rate, now Im only able to slow its increase?
I like that I can decrease evo. i love the way your mod increases AI and so, but I dont have to have hard fight at all cost, so sometimes I rather shutdown whole factory and wait until evo falls down than fighting tons of biters. Sometimes I just make mistake and pollution rises (like when i accidentaly burned few dozens of chunks with forest) and I want to be able to undo this...
So maybe you could just add option in config wher one can able/disable decrease evo?

TheSAguy
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by TheSAguy »

Berkys32 wrote:Im not sure if I understand it right - before I was able to decreas evolution rate, now Im only able to slow its increase?
I like that I can decrease evo. i love the way your mod increases AI and so, but I dont have to have hard fight at all cost, so sometimes I rather shutdown whole factory and wait until evo falls down than fighting tons of biters. Sometimes I just make mistake and pollution rises (like when i accidentaly burned few dozens of chunks with forest) and I want to be able to undo this...
So maybe you could just add option in config wher one can able/disable decrease evo?
You can still decrease evolution, it's just the curve of how it works that changed.

kocur4d
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by kocur4d »

Hi All I am doing a game with few mods: Full Bobs, Angels, Full Natural Evolution, RSO, Bio Farm just to name the few:)

I am going slowly as there is a lot things to do. One thing I have noticed recently that my evolution factor increased by a lot in last 2 hours.
I have upgraded tons of furnaces to Steal ones and lots of new boilers showed up in my factory - aka pollution increased a lot!
Pollution Evolution Factor 2x vanilla - From 0.000015 to 0.000030 – You are penalized for polluting this beautiful alien world! Recycle! Focus on a green factory or the Evolution rate will get out of control.
So how can you recycle using NE/Bio Farm?

Is seeding the trees reduces global pollution, my factory is creating, or it is just reducing the pollution cloud spread?
Same question about the Bio Garden building? Building Bio gardens will reduce the effect my pollution has on evo factor or just reduce the spread?

Can someone share some tips on how to have a green factory?

doktorstick
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by doktorstick »

kocur4d wrote:Can someone share some tips on how to have a green factory?
Sure, I can tell you what I've done. My evolution has dropped from ~40% down to ~19% since my green factory came online and I have four terraforming units. I'm not using any Bio/Tree-planting/Tree-expanding mods.

I do have a mod called "Red Alert"--it notifies you with voiceovers when your power gets to low or when structures are destroyed. As part of that mod, you build an item (which is effectively a very low storage accumulator) that outputs to the circuit network stored power as a percentage.

I have pumps in front of each boiler stack. I connect the red-alert circuit item to the pumps with the condition of if power < 25% turn on pumps. Currently, they never-ever turn on... solar panels power the factory and charge accumulators during the day and at night, stored power drops to about 33% (the factory still runs at 100%).

The next stage for me would be to shutdown parts of the factory using the logistic network and power switches. For example, if I have a surplus of green circuits, cut power to that entire factory so the standby-power drain isn't used. That's tedious and it isn't needed (at this point).

kocur4d
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by kocur4d »

doktorstick wrote:
kocur4d wrote:Can someone share some tips on how to have a green factory?
Sure, I can tell you what I've done. My evolution has dropped from ~40% down to ~19% since my green factory came online and I have four terraforming units. I'm not using any Bio/Tree-planting/Tree-expanding mods.

I do have a mod called "Red Alert"--it notifies you with voiceovers when your power gets to low or when structures are destroyed. As part of that mod, you build an item (which is effectively a very low storage accumulator) that outputs to the circuit network stored power as a percentage.

I have pumps in front of each boiler stack. I connect the red-alert circuit item to the pumps with the condition of if power < 25% turn on pumps. Currently, they never-ever turn on... solar panels power the factory and charge accumulators during the day and at night, stored power drops to about 33% (the factory still runs at 100%).

The next stage for me would be to shutdown parts of the factory using the logistic network and power switches. For example, if I have a surplus of green circuits, cut power to that entire factory so the standby-power drain isn't used. That's tedious and it isn't needed (at this point).
Nice cool idea with the boilers.

Anyway the stuff you have described apart of terraforming station is vanila - the "Red Alert" mode is the convenience touch.

I have been running some tests today - focusing on NE change to pollution/evo factor generation and Bio industries stuff.
The reason I discusses Bio Industries here is because the mod is in a recommended moods for NE package and I thought it will introduce some ways to somehow offset the double pollution factor.

Unfortunately it doesn't. Your evolution factor speed is the same regardless of using any pollution reducing tools. The only thing the tools are affecting is the pollution spread cloud, but who gives the F about that.
You can control it passively or actively already. No new stuff here.

I need to stress that the main reason I started using NE mods was the evolution factor manipulation possibility. But all it does is:

I will double the pollution effect on evolution factor and I will give you one building to offset/remove it. - in my opinion this is very shallow mechanic.

Again it is my fault, I misunderstood the pollution and got a bit confused with mode description - so no hard feelings please.

I am not saying that the mods are bad - NE has a lot of other great stuff! but mainly the Bio Industries, don't offer what I was expecting/looking for.

Jools
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Jools »

So, are Terraforming stations nerfed? There are too way OP. Plyaing with electricity + solar with couple of T-Stations makes game quite easy.
Each subsequent T-Station should cost much more and do much less. Or just remove it from the game and let players use green technologies. Bob's mods also adds tools for polution reducing (modules).

doktorstick
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by doktorstick »

Will Big Brother's technologies for improved radar speeds create performance enhanced terraformers?

Return to “Mods”