Friday facts #151 - The plans for 0.14

Regular reports on Factorio development.
vanatteveldt
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Friday facts #151 - The plans for 0.14

Post by vanatteveldt »

Hey Drakosha,

Let me just respond to some of your points:
Drakosha wrote: 4.1. I created a map 9999x9999. I was left 5,000 cells. 100+ hours of game time. I learned to fight. 2000 cells was a little interesting. Then slalom boring. I am doing one and same action. I put the drawing on the front line. The last I collect turret. I bet, pick, put, pick, put, I collect. Boring. It would be desirable to come up with something.
[..]
6.4. I do not use military robots. a lot of problems. The result is very small. I find it easier to use the laser turret.
6.6. I do not use grenades. I find it easier to use the laser turret.
Yes, this tactic is called turret creep, and it is boring and unnecessary. Instead, try to get power armor, two nuclear fusion reactors, a bunch of shields and some exoskeletons. Then, use any combination of destroyer capsules (which are completely worth it! 100 destroyer capsules make short work of most enemies), poison capsules, cluster grenades and flamethrower to eliminate the base. More fire, and much more fun :)
Drakosha wrote: 5. General.
6.1. I do not use module efficiency (Pink modules).
6.3. I do not use (all) modules 2 and 3 levels. I think easier to put the second factory.
6.5. I do not use the building, which is 50% of the modules transmits factories. I think easier to put the second factory.
You don't really need efficiency modules if you don't care about power use and pollution. However, it is quite easy now (with modules in blueprints) to add efficiency modules to mines, which is a pretty decent use case.

Producivity modules, on the other hand, are really awesome. 20-40% extra productivity doesn't seem much, until you realize that you can apply it throughout a whole stack (mining -> smelting -> copper cables -> green circuits -> red circuits -> blue circuits -> control units -> rocket part). If you fill the refinery/smelter/assembler with as many level 3 productivity modules as possible and then add beacons (the 50% building) so each building is covered by 6-8 beacons, you suddenly have a factory that produces 5 times the output in the same time and with the same amount of ore.

See e.g. this design (viewtopic.php?f=18&t=30332#p191784), with only 6 green circuit plants it produces almost 3000 circuit per minute. Without modules, this would take 20 green plants and 30 copper plants (so 4 times as many assemblers), and this design also consuming less than half the copper of a normal setup.

Drakosha
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Drakosha »

vanatteveldt wrote:Yes, this tactic is called turret creep, and it is boring and unnecessary. Instead, try to get power armor, two nuclear fusion reactors, a bunch of shields and some exoskeletons. Then, use any combination of destroyer capsules (which are completely worth it! 100 destroyer capsules make short work of most enemies), poison capsules, cluster grenades and flamethrower to eliminate the base. More fire, and much more fun
This tactic is spending a lot of resources. 5000 cells would be difficult to pass. I have two drone station, two nuclear fusion reactors and 5 exoskeletons.
vanatteveldt wrote: See e.g. this design (viewtopic.php?f=18&t=30332#p191784), with only 6 green circuit plants it produces almost 3000 circuit per minute. Without modules, this would take 20 green plants and 30 copper plants (so 4 times as many assemblers), and this design also consuming less than half the copper of a normal setup.
in theory it looks great. But economically it is justified? It does not end the game faster? Who ever thought the amount of time after which it will pay off? resources to improve, resources for energy production (solar), resources for infrastructure.

Drakosha
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Drakosha »

Oh, I almost forgot.
I propose to change the method of construction of buildings. First, you put the ghost, then you bring to the resources, and then you press the mouse a few seconds to a ghost (as chopping wood) and voila. The building is ready. There will be more demand for building drones.
This is my proposal. Strongly do not hurt me :)

hitzu
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by hitzu »

Drakosha wrote:Oh, I almost forgot.
I propose to change the method of construction of buildings. First, you put the ghost, then you bring to the resources, and then you press the mouse a few seconds to a ghost (as chopping wood) and voila. The building is ready. There will be more demand for building drones.
This is my proposal. Strongly do not hurt me :)
Then how buildings should be demolished?

malecord
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by malecord »

hitzu wrote: Then how buildings should be demolished?
Granades, explosive rockets or tank ramming of course. :mrgreen:

Actually, that could be a silly mod to make.

Drakosha
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Drakosha »

hitzu wrote:Then how buildings should be demolished?
for me it's a strange question. You can come up with several options and choose the one that pleases. For example:
1. if it is done without the drones, it will look as chopping wood resources are returned to the inventory (or% of the resources).
2. If using drones, it can be turned into a ghost and pulling resources. When the resources run out of the building, the ghost disappears.
2.2. You can throw out the resources on the ground to drones being picked up.

afk2minute
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by afk2minute »

Just start a map with all values for resources for very low\very small (for challenge\fun).
You will SOON find yourself loving efficiency modules.

Drakosha
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Drakosha »

afk2minute wrote:Just start a map with all values for resources for very low\very small (for challenge\fun).
Thanks, I'll try to do it.
afk2minute wrote:You will SOON find yourself loving efficiency modules.
calculator tells me that it is not suitable for laser war.
I spend very little resources to the war.
To cover 1 module of the first level you need to get more than 2,000 resources (37.5 + 15) * 4% = 2000 resources
To cover 1 module of the second level is necessary to obtain more than 9,000 resources: (355 + 192.5) * 6% = 9147 resources
To cover 1 module third level you need to get over 30,000 resources: (2000 + 1095) * 10% = 30950 Resources
And that's not counting the most expensive resource: oil
Still it is necessary to add an increased power consumption and improvement costs.
For the launch of the satellite is needed: 200K resources and 100K of oil.
Let everyone decide for itself what is more profitable for him.
somebody will offer other calculations?

afk2minute
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by afk2minute »

ahh you are playing for the satellite launch.
Then yes there is 0 reason to use modules at all.
I mean "using map with such settings and launching a satellite once in a 15 minutes or so for a long time", its just boring to expand for me maybe i prefer to make the most with resources i have and efficiency is the way.

But i cant understand what is "resources" its pure ore or what?

Drakosha
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Drakosha »

afk2minute wrote:But i cant understand what is "resources" its pure ore or what?
yes, the sum of iron and copper ores.
I set myself the task to clear the map, but I was only enough to reach the left edge of the map. I would like to automate this process, too.
I would like to hear comments on my ideas (1 ... 5). Who is for, who is against?
I had a new idea: to drones collected empty drills. Mark up the ghosts of all ore locations and drones carry the drills.

afk2minute
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by afk2minute »

why dont you just make a blueprint with turrets plus roboport then.
Just use deconstruction planner on everything that is not bluprint and expand. Dont pick up what you build. Go forward and copy paste it to victory.
If you have alot of resources of course, which you should because you expand alot.

Drakosha
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Drakosha »

afk2minute wrote:why dont you just make a blueprint with turrets plus roboport then.
Just use deconstruction planner on everything that is not bluprint and expand. Dont pick up what you build. Go forward and copy paste it to victory.
If you have alot of resources of course, which you should because you expand alot.
that's what I'd like to automate: Putting forward the ghosts and collect the back. To put the plan by someone else, not me. So to say the next level of automation. But I can not invent something like that.

lukaiw
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: Friday facts #151 - The plans for 0.14 Nuclear power

Post by lukaiw »

if by nuclear power u mean like in real life then it would stiil work like steam power caus u just put uranium in boiler and a TON of watter .
here is a idea for a interesting power generation system : soo solar colection a centrall boiler sourounded by miroirs that concentrate a big abount of solar energy on the boilet that heats up watter and then u can send it too engines.

rbrucemtl
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by rbrucemtl »

I can't wait for Hi-Res Graphics... 200+ hours in Factorio on my 1440P monitor with low-res graphics :( ;-( Factorio is my all time favourite game but I have only two complaints about it. Low res graphics and Science has no purpose after all research is done. :roll: :?:

toltikk
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by toltikk »

Idea, can you make a tunnel like an underground belt, but for the player to get around a big factory or the solar panel fields; so the player won't have to go around.
Also, making a teleportation structure or portal so the player will be able to teleport to far away areas.
Maybe a Steam Workshop for mods? I didn't know there were mods for this game, and that would help find them easier. :)

Neemys
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Neemys »

toltikk wrote: Maybe a Steam Workshop for mods? I didn't know there were mods for this game, and that would help find them easier. :)
Dev don't want to be tied to steam, the game is released on their website, GOG, Humble store and steam, supporting steam workshop will only benefit steam user. That's why, there is the website http://mods.factorio.com or the ingame browser for mods. Both will be improved in the future.
Want more space restriction ? Or maybe you want to be forced to use train for other thing than ore and oil ? Try Building Platform Mod !

toltikk
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by toltikk »

Neemys wrote:
toltikk wrote: Maybe a Steam Workshop for mods? I didn't know there were mods for this game, and that would help find them easier. :)
Dev don't want to be tied to steam, the game is released on their website, GOG, Humble store and steam, supporting steam workshop will only benefit steam user. That's why, there is the website http://mods.factorio.com or the ingame browser for mods. Both will be improved in the future.
Ok thanks for the website. :)

Return to “News”