Friday Facts #152 - Team production challenge

Regular reports on Factorio development.

AntiElitz
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #152 - Team production challenge

Post by AntiElitz »

That's awesome! I love the idea of the Multiplayer production challange. I hope this mode will not end after the test period, it sounds like a lot of fun. Make sure you put in a feature to detect and kick AFK players or people will "save" their serverslots for days.

Ratzap
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Ratzap »

Excellent idea. Roll on 0.14 and I await the team host appearing, that will be fun.

Gergely
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Gergely »

Special Offers.... really? :|

PandaGOD
Inserter
Inserter

Post by PandaGOD »

" Albert is in Spain, and some pople have holidays.", Pople? or People? xD, just pointing that out.

Awesome FF

timesinker
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by timesinker »

brilliant. i can serve with high latency for bottom benchmarks.

Kamel
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Kamel »

Only if we can go in and sabotage the other teams (i.e. blow them up :D)

Sounds like a great plan.

Zulan
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Zulan »

I'm not sure that is going to go well. We were regularly doing 8 player MP matches and it would only work smoothly if everyone basically is from the same continent and has an excellent internet connection. Otherwise it would basically be unplayable for everyone. While the Idea is certainly great, I just dont see how this can work before the MP rewrite based on our experience.

Has anyone done the math how much upload one (non-host) player actually needs based on the number of peers?

keyboardhack
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by keyboardhack »

Kamel wrote:Only if we can go in and sabotage the other teams (i.e. blow them up :D)

Sounds like a great plan.
Looks like you can throw grenades at the other teams as they are close enough.
Waste of bytes : P

Zeblote
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Zeblote »

Zulan wrote:I'm not sure that is going to go well. We were regularly doing 8 player MP matches and it would only work smoothly if everyone basically is from the same continent and has an excellent internet connection. Otherwise it would basically be unplayable for everyone. While the Idea is certainly great, I just dont see how this can work before the MP rewrite based on our experience.

Has anyone done the math how much upload one (non-host) player actually needs based on the number of peers?
I'm pretty sure the idea is to run this on the new multiplayer code? It would be senseless to test 0.13 now.

TheUnknown007
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by TheUnknown007 »

Yesss, time to show everyone how much I suck at this game.

Please note that that map is really small, how can you setup anything in it at all? It barely fits a column of steam engines.

Mooncat
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Mooncat »

we decided that the 0.14 will contain only the multiplayer rewrite and it will be released as experimental very soon, and all the planned features for 0.14 will be just shifted to 0.15, which doesn't mean it should be delayed much.
um... do we have to wait longer for the new concrete tileset? :?

Zulan
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Zulan »

Zeblote wrote:I'm pretty sure the idea is to run this on the new multiplayer code? It would be senseless to test 0.13 now.
Sounded to me like they wanted to harden 0.13:
We wanted to use 0.13 stable release as an opportunity to test the marketing benefits steam offers, but since a big part of the update is the introduction of the matching server, which might lure some people to try multiplayer, it needs to be really solid.

roy7
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by roy7 »

Zulan wrote:
Zeblote wrote:I'm pretty sure the idea is to run this on the new multiplayer code? It would be senseless to test 0.13 now.
Sounded to me like they wanted to harden 0.13:
We wanted to use 0.13 stable release as an opportunity to test the marketing benefits steam offers, but since a big part of the update is the introduction of the matching server, which might lure some people to try multiplayer, it needs to be really solid.
That means they don't want to market to Steam heavily until the multiplayer stuff (ie: 0.14 rewrite) is solid and tested. The mutliplayer challenge public server idea is for a strong 0.14 test of the new multiplayer stuff:
If the server game manages to run good even under this load, the work on multiplayer would be finished to our satisfaction.

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Loewchen »

I am really excited for this, multiplayer challenges made by the community could become a big new part of factorio.

Wyrframe
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Wyrframe »

keyboardhack wrote:Looks like you can throw grenades at the other teams as they are close enough.
This is why we can't have nice things. ;)

rkfg
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by rkfg »

I played a multiplayer tower defence game years ago, the idea was that four players have the same map pieces rotated by 90° for each and all four pieces connected together in a square, and the player can build towers and send creeps to the next player (clockwise) spending "money". Maybe something like that could be exploited in Factorio. For example, for each unit that you produce a spawner can be sent to the next player. Or you can save for something bigger like spawn a worm or a hive at their territory. And if there's fog of war you could scan their base to steal production ideas and designs.

There could even be several victory conditions: you might eliminate all the players (military victory) or produce most items (economic victory). Add some ELO/MMR to it and you have another competitive game!

isaacsanfran
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by isaacsanfran »

I think this is a great idea!

PandaGOD
Inserter
Inserter

Post by PandaGOD »

Loewchen wrote:I am really excited for this, multiplayer challenges made by the community could become a big new part of factorio.

"Exited", u mean Excited? (im soo annoying >.<)

Kane
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Kane »

Sweet. I'm hoping overtime this will encourage the developers to add more CO-OP but separate base starting area's.

My friends and I love MP but we like to start our own force / starting spot. Right now we have to make a script to turn off weapons fire. But if all this could be added to the vanilla game it would be a lot of fun.

Return to “News”