Configuration & usage

The raillayer; must have, if you want to play with railway.

Moderator: Choumiko

nmid
Inserter
Inserter

Re: Configuration & usage

Post by nmid »

From your 1st post - regarding the save file:
The selected attachment does not exist anymore.

Gazer75
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Gazer75 »

FARL refuses to accept a horizontal track with signals out the outside. Keeps moaning about placing he chain signal facing north which it is.

Like so: SR P RC
S = Signal
R = Rail
P = Pole
C =Chain

I've tried with the chain signal om both outer sides but not accepted. Moving both to inside works perfectly :S

Below you can see my two patterns. The diagonal is accepted, but not the horizontal.

Nexela
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Nexela »

Move the chain signal to the bottom of the right track and it should work.

Choumiko
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Choumiko »

Fixed in the latest release, signals are now recognized independent of their position.

I think part of the reason for the confusion is that in 0.12 you would only see the arrow if it was placed on the "bottom part" of the vertical track (no matter whether it was left or right of the track). In 0.13 the arrow is shown on the bottom tile when placing left/inside of the track, and on the top when placed right/outside of it.

Gazer75
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Gazer75 »

Nice to know its fixed now Choumiko, thanks!

@ Nexela
I tried placing the chain signal in all three locations possible :)

Got it working when i found a post about moving the tracks a bit ;)

Noticed it refused to lay the second line when driving on an already made line as soon as I got to a bend.
Straight horizontal left to right worked fine.
Had to go to maintenance mode and just have it tear up the existing track to make it work.

TheSAguy
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by TheSAguy »

Would it be possible to please give your mod support for my Bio-Industries mod? (See Signature)
I have wooden rails and can't seem to place them with FARL. Would be great if you could please add support.

Thanks.

Choumiko
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Choumiko »

It should now work with wooden poles:
Added a checkbox in the settings to use wooden rails, blueprints also accept wooden rails.
Had an interesting bug show up, FARL would add advanced fertiliser when in bulldoze mode, so now i know that fertiliser can create grass tiles :D

TheSAguy
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by TheSAguy »

Choumiko wrote:It should now work with wooden poles:
Added a checkbox in the settings to use wooden rails, blueprints also accept wooden rails.
Had an interesting bug show up, FARL would add advanced fertiliser when in bulldoze mode, so now i know that fertiliser can create grass tiles :D
Thanks Choumiko!
Yeah, I made it that Fertilizer and Adv-fertilizer can turn terrain into grass. So planting trees would grow better :)

TheSAguy
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by TheSAguy »

Hey Choumiko,

I can't seem to place wooden rail (Not poles). The Bio-Industries mod adds this rail: bi-rail-wood
I can't place those using FARL. Anyway you could include those?

Thanks.

Choumiko
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Choumiko »

It works fine for me. No blueprints, with the blueprints Farl creates and with custom ones. Are you getting errors or something?

TheSAguy
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by TheSAguy »

TheSAguy wrote:
Hey Choumiko,

I can't seem to place wooden rail (Not poles). The Bio-Industries mod adds this rail: bi-rail-wood
I can't place those using FARL. Anyway you could include those?

Thanks.
Here you go. With regular rail no problem, when I fill it with wood rail I get "Deactivated: Can't place rail" I've alos got a link no my mods and save below.
Link: MODS_SAVE

Choumiko
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Choumiko »

In your save the FARL doesn't have "use wooden rails" checked. If you move it all the way forward and then press Start it tells you the correct error message :(

The whole support for different rails is a bit hacky at best, i need to come up with a clean way to handle it. E.g. automatically use the rail type that is in the blueprint, the rail FARL is started on, maybe switch the rail when one type is no longer in the train but another one is, etc.

TheSAguy
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by TheSAguy »

Choumiko wrote:In your save the FARL doesn't have "use wooden rails" checked. If you move it all the way forward and then press Start it tells you the correct error message :(

The whole support for different rails is a bit hacky at best, i need to come up with a clean way to handle it. E.g. automatically use the rail type that is in the blueprint, the rail FARL is started on, maybe switch the rail when one type is no longer in the train but another one is, etc.
My bad, never went to settings tab :P
Works like a charm.

Thanks

james-black
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by james-black »

Hi Choumiko.

I have tried looking around on the forums, reddit and google, but could not find the answer I was looking for.

I was wondering, is there a way the get the signals always aligning up with the power poles, ignoring the distance between them? Mainly for aesthetic reasons :)
Noticed that it would keep going +1 away from the power poles, tried it with 14 distance, but could not get it to obey....

Is this maybe impossible due to the difference in distances from straight to curved rails?

Choumiko
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Choumiko »

james-black wrote:Noticed that it would keep going +1 away from the power poles, tried it with 14 distance, but could not get it to obey....

Is this maybe impossible due to the difference in distances from straight to curved rails?
I think 14 or 15 distance should line them up on horizontal/vertical tracks. Doing curves messes it up though, since i'm trying to make the distance match up with wagon/train lengths. So after curves you'll have to stop FARL, place a pole and signals and then start again.

james-black
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by james-black »

Choumiko wrote:
james-black wrote:Noticed that it would keep going +1 away from the power poles, tried it with 14 distance, but could not get it to obey....

I think 14 or 15 distance should line them up on horizontal/vertical tracks. Doing curves messes it up though, since i'm trying to make the distance match up with wagon/train lengths. So after curves you'll have to stop FARL, place a pole and signals and then start again.
YAY!!!!! I got so annoyed yesterday that i could´t figure it out, i stopped FARL and restart, but i guess I have been on top of the stop sign or something cause no matter what I did it did not work.

So now I did as you said, stopped FARL after a curve, built a new pole with signals and it worked flawlessly.... Also its 14 distance for big poles. It gets installed with 15 already input. (EDIT!!) - 14 for straight and 15 for diagonal.

This is so much fun!!!! I´m cruising like crazy.... now to figure out how to build train stops, and how signals really work :P

Acarin
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Acarin »

I also have a question: I want to add green wires to my existing track (I laid the original track without ticking the box). Do I simply load up with wire, check the "maintenance" box and drive to my destination?

Choumiko
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Choumiko »

Yes, that should work. It's best to start FARL near a big pole and maybe remove 1-2 pieces of track in front of it (not really sure, haven't used FARL in a long time :D )

Nexela
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Nexela »

Choumiko wrote:Yes, that should work. It's best to start FARL near a big pole and maybe remove 1-2 pieces of track in front of it (not really sure, haven't used FARL in a long time :D )
Removing the tracks with maint mode shouldn't be necessary just make sure you start close to a pole (you will see a little floatie text p if it finds the pole)

mykepatch
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by mykepatch »

Hi,
when I found this mod, I felt really happy because it would make my life greatly easier...

... but, whent I click on the FARL, nothing happens ! No GUI !

I thought it was due to missing dependances. I had neither FatControler, nor 5dim's trains.
So I installed them... to see that TheFatController has other dependances, an 5dim's trains is for 0.13.
So, what have I missed ? I'm playing Factorio 0.14.9 with mod 0.6.0.

By the way, what is 5dim's trains ??? 5dim's transport I guess, or is it something else ?

Are all dependencies of dependencies obligatory ?

Thanks for any help !

Return to “F.A.R.L”