Inserter Limit?

Ideas that are too old (too many things have changed since) and ones which won't be implemented for certain reasons or if there are obviously better suggestions.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

FreeER
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Inserter Limit?

Post by FreeER »

It seems as if inserters only place 2 items in an inventory (like the furnace and lab, not refering to chests) and then wait until one is processed before adding another. I think it would be nice if you could specify how many items you wanted the inserters to keep inside (at least with the smart inserters).
<I'm really not active any more so these may not be up to date>
~FreeER=Factorio Modding
- Factorio Wiki
- My Factorio Modding Guide
- Wiki Modding Guide
Feel free to pm me :)
Or drop into #factorio on irc.esper.net

Blackmoor
Inserter
Inserter

Re: Inserter Limit?

Post by Blackmoor »

I like the idea of a check-box that says "Insert Until Full" with a Boolean toggle.

Personally, I find it annoying that it only takes a few items at a time, but it's not a really big deal.

FreeER
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FreeER »

No it's not a big issue at all, but it annoys me as well that I have 200+ science packs (of each type thanks to assemblers and networked smart inserters) and my labs only take in 2 at a time :)
~FreeER=Factorio Modding
- Factorio Wiki
- Wiki Modding Guide

Dakkanor
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Dakkanor »

FreeER wrote:No it's not a big issue at all, but it annoys me as well that I have 200+ science packs (of each type thanks to assemblers and networked smart inserters) and my labs only take in 2 at a time :)

agreed, i usually have a buffer of a full conveyor belt with resources, but it's be nice if you could tell the insertors to just keep on working.

i want my boilers full of coal and if my furnaces have ore just siting by them i'd be much better if they would fill up MORE

anyways, the convention seems to be 5 fuel and 2 consumable(ore science packs ect) or 2 loads worth of goods, it would be nice to set the option globally, like max,max OR 10 coal, 4 loads etc

MF-
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by MF- »

I am really glad that such limit exists.
My factory would take ages to start, because the Circuit boards wouldn't take a lot of time to reach the last consumer.

FreeER
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FreeER »

oh yeah it's useful in the beginning but once you have, say 50 assembling machines.... getting items to a consumers is not a problem :) backed up belts are somewhat annoying, and I dislike simply taking the easy way and using logistics chests for everything. Not that i'm actually suggesting that the limits be removed, simply modifiable on the higher-tier inserters
~FreeER=Factorio Modding
- Factorio Wiki
- Wiki Modding Guide

Blackmoor
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Blackmoor »

MF- wrote:I am really glad that such limit exists.
My factory would take ages to start, because the Circuit boards wouldn't take a lot of time to reach the last consumer.
You are correct. I just realized that because multiple factories use the same resources that the limit is to ensure all factories share resources equally.

So the limit is useful, but I still say the option to change certain inserters wouldn't hurt.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Moved to not implement, cause the current way is now working for > 2 years.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Enderwigin
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Enderwigin »

if there was a way around this issue then i would not have a problem but there is not. That is why i feel like there should be a way to set the number your self or at least get around it. Even with a chest it is still to slow to start.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Enderwigin wrote:if there was a way around this issue then i would not have a problem but there is not. That is why i feel like there should be a way to set the number your self or at least get around it. Even with a chest it is still to slow to start.
This is a similar thread: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=27673 Make inserter stack bonus individually configurable
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Locane
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Locane »

I also ran in to this issue; as others have said it's there for a good reason, but having to run around and collect all my science packs manually every 2 minutes is really annoying.

Thinking about it, I'm not sure there's a great solution - even if we had a setting on each arm that told it to keep loading by %, we'd have to go through every arm connected to a Lab chain and set them individually, and further set them for larger values at the end and graduatingly smaller values toward the beginning of the chain. That might be just as annoying.

What I want is for my Lab chain to eat all the science packs it can get its grubby little grabbers on, and distribute them evenly among the chain.

Not sure how we'd do that.

EstebanLB
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by EstebanLB »

Locane wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:50 am
I also ran in to this issue; as others have said it's there for a good reason, but having to run around and collect all my science packs manually every 2 minutes is really annoying.

Thinking about it, I'm not sure there's a great solution - even if we had a setting on each arm that told it to keep loading by %, we'd have to go through every arm connected to a Lab chain and set them individually, and further set them for larger values at the end and graduatingly smaller values toward the beginning of the chain. That might be just as annoying.

What I want is for my Lab chain to eat all the science packs it can get its grubby little grabbers on, and distribute them evenly among the chain.

Not sure how we'd do that.
Simple, you do that the Factorio way, belts, chests, filter inserters, logistic system etc

Return to “Outdated/Not implemented”