Simple Questions and Short Answers

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
siggboy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Simple Questions and Short Answers

Post by siggboy »

FunMaker wrote:Did not find an anwser through searching - maybe someone knows:

How do stack filter inserters set the filter through circuit network if multiple values are present on the circuit network?
Hint: It's not the highest value on the Network that is taken for the filter.

Seems a bit random to me
Look at this thread (XKnight ran into the same issue): viewtopic.php?f=6&t=28946

The signal that is chosen is basically undefined. It's probably due to some arbitrary ordering of the signals in the Factorio implementation (maybe related to the order of the signals in the UI, maybe not). XKnight suggests it might be some "signal ID" which is not visible to the player).

If you want to narrow down a bunch of signals to a single one, you're in a world of pain (it's not easy). The enhancement to the decider combinator that XKnight proposes in that thread is to have an easier solution for this problem; it would help with setting the filters and also with a host of other unrelated problems.
Is your railroad worrying you? Doctor T-Junction recommends: Smart, dynamic train deliveries with combinator Magick

Harkonnen604
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Harkonnen604 »

Is there a way to disconnect red/green wire from a combinator? I know about shift-clicking to do that for power poles, but what about combinator connections? Is there a way other than deconstructing a combinator and setting it up again?

siggboy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by siggboy »

Harkonnen604 wrote:Is there a way to disconnect red/green wire from a combinator? I know about shift-clicking to do that for power poles, but what about combinator connections? Is there a way other than deconstructing a combinator and setting it up again?
It's basically like "mining" concrete with concrete: if you want to remove a red wire connection, you pick red wire from your inventory, and draw the existing connection; that will remove it. Same with green wire. It also works with copper, so if you want to remove a specific power connection, you do not have to shift click the pole and replace all the connections except one.

In other words, "replacing" an existing red/green/power connection with the same connection will remove it.
Is your railroad worrying you? Doctor T-Junction recommends: Smart, dynamic train deliveries with combinator Magick

Harkonnen604
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Harkonnen604 »

Got it. Thanks :)

spinba11
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by spinba11 »

I think I've got a problem with heavy oil, I've got a row of cracking plants that cracks heavy oild to light oil. when I connect the heavy oil pip to the input pips on the plant the oil only moves left, if I connect thew input pipe to the right most plant the oil reaches the left most plant but id i connect the input pipe to the left most plant the oil only uses that plant. I've attached a screenshot showing the problem (the rightmost plant is selected)
Attachments
oild problem.png
oild problem.png (3.85 MiB) Viewed 5636 times

CorBlimey
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by CorBlimey »

spinba11 wrote:I think I've got a problem with heavy oil, I've got a row of cracking plants that cracks heavy oild to light oil. when I connect the heavy oil pip to the input pips on the plant the oil only moves left, if I connect thew input pipe to the right most plant the oil reaches the left most plant but id i connect the input pipe to the left most plant the oil only uses that plant. I've attached a screenshot showing the problem (the rightmost plant is selected)
while a picture tells a thousand words (so someone claims), a Savegame tells between 10 and 10 thousand words most but not always of the time give or take a little (trademark pending). Can you dropbox it or something?

kinnom
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by kinnom »

spinba11 wrote:I think I've got a problem with heavy oil, I've got a row of cracking plants that cracks heavy oild to light oil. when I connect the heavy oil pip to the input pips on the plant the oil only moves left, if I connect thew input pipe to the right most plant the oil reaches the left most plant but id i connect the input pipe to the left most plant the oil only uses that plant. I've attached a screenshot showing the problem (the rightmost plant is selected)
The chemical plants areprobably resource starfed - you've got too many of them
no yes yes no yes no yes yes

CorBlimey
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by CorBlimey »

hello, quick question: any simple way to find the minimum (or maximum, though actually I dont care in this case) value of a series of chests? I realise that by the wires add up chest contents - is there any way to get minimum, short of having a combinator per chest?

On a related note can one have a filter inserter with the filter set by the circuit network *as well* as a seperate enable/disable condition? I send my instructions to my forge by wire using filter inserters (specifying which of iron, copper, steel or brick to produce) but I also want to limit the inserter based on its chest contents. Ideally I do not want seperate combinators for each inserter in a 200 forge array ;-) My current approach to preventing out-of-iron-plate steel deadlocks is to set a global storage constraint such that inputs that require multiple items per product must be well saturated in the network.

siggboy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by siggboy »

CorBlimey wrote:hello, quick question: any simple way to find the minimum (or maximum, though actually I dont care in this case) value of a series of chests? I realise that by the wires add up chest contents - is there any way to get minimum, short of having a combinator per chest?
No. If you daisy chain the chests you'll have the grand total on the wire, there's no way to get back to individual chest counts from there.
On a related note can one have a filter inserter with the filter set by the circuit network *as well* as a seperate enable/disable condition?
No, but there's a neat trick if you want to fill a chest with a filter inserter to a precise count. It only works if you load from a belt into the chest, however.

It's explained in this post: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=28110#p181710

spinba11
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by spinba11 »

CorBlimey wrote:
while a picture tells a thousand words (so someone claims), a Savegame tells between 10 and 10 thousand words most but not always of the time give or take a little (trademark pending). Can you dropbox it or something?
I'm away until Saturday now, will sort it then.

spinba11
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by spinba11 »

I'm back, where are the games saved on the comuter?

Mehve
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Mehve »

Two questions:

1) Since 0.13, in regards to a train stopped at a train station, is there a way for the circuit network to access 1) its cargo contents, and 2) its fuel contents?

and

2) With the logistics network, is there any way to force some robots to land at a particular hub, or conversely, force a hub to maintain a certain number of bots when things are quieter?

siggboy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by siggboy »

Mehve wrote:Two questions:

1) Since 0.13, in regards to a train stopped at a train station, is there a way for the circuit network to access 1) its cargo contents, and 2) its fuel contents?

and

2) With the logistics network, is there any way to force some robots to land at a particular hub, or conversely, force a hub to maintain a certain number of bots when things are quieter?
No, no and no.

xcorps
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Upgrade questions

Post by xcorps »

A few questions re upgrading from version 0.12.35 to 0.13:

When I try to upgrade through the game menu I get an error JSON parser error server reply (<unspecified file>(1): expected object or array).
I did some searching but didn't find a solution.

1) I assume I can just download the full .13 and install it, but do I need to uninstall the old version first?

2) Are my .12 savegames compatible with .13?

3) Where are the save files located?

4) I'm also considering purchasing the game again through Steam (I bought the standalone for my laptop which currently doesn't have Steam), if I install the Steam version of the game will that be .13 and will it interfere with the .12 install?

Thanks in advance!

By the way, if anyone on the Factorio team happens to browse here, this game is fantastic. Could possibly edge out Dishonored as Best Game of the Last 5 Years (for me).

Nexela
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Upgrade questions

Post by Nexela »

xcorps wrote:1) I assume I can just download the full .13 and install it, but do I need to uninstall the old version first?
If you download the installer version this shouldn't be an issue,
if you are currently using the zipped version of .12 I recommend installing .13 to a new directory but I don't think this is necessary
2) Are my .12 savegames compatible with .13?
If your saves are mod free you typically won't have a problem. but always keep a backup! And generally speaking if your saves do have mods they should migrate correctly but in some rare cases things can break.
3) Where are the save files located?
the installer version (.exe file) uses %appdata%/factorio for saves/mods/logs. The Zip version (from the website) uses whatever directory you extract it too
4) I'm also considering purchasing the game again through Steam (I bought the standalone for my laptop which currently doesn't have Steam), if I install the Steam version of the game will that be .13 and will it interfere with the .12 install?
Yes it will interfere with standalone if the standalone was installed by installer as it will use the same Save file location of %appdata% factorio. In steam you have to go to properties->beta's and opt into the experimental release.

xcorps
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: Upgrade questions

Post by xcorps »

Nexela wrote:Answers

Thanks very much!

Borgren
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Inserters from Reseach Lab

Post by Borgren »

Ok so I saw some setups where coal is loaded from one belt into one row of boilers and then a row of inserters on the other side of that line pulls coal from the boilers into another line of boilers. I was wanting to do a similar thing with research labs, but the arms wouldn't pull from the first line of labs. Is it not possible to pull packs from a lab? Just to make sure, yes I was researching something and the arm was pointed the right way.

brunzenstein
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Inserters from Reseach Lab

Post by brunzenstein »

Borgren wrote:Ok so I saw some setups where coal is loaded from one belt into one row of boilers and then a row of inserters on the other side of that line pulls coal from the boilers into another line of boilers. I was wanting to do a similar thing with research labs, but the arms wouldn't pull from the first line of labs. Is it not possible to pull packs from a lab? Just to make sure, yes I was researching something and the arm was pointed the right way.
Nice idea

siggboy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Inserters from Reseach Lab

Post by siggboy »

Borgren wrote:I was wanting to do a similar thing with research labs, but the arms wouldn't pull from the first line of labs. Is it not possible to pull packs from a lab? Just to make sure, yes I was researching something and the arm was pointed the right way.
It's only possible with boilers right now.

iceman_1212
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by iceman_1212 »

Hi! New player here with a few questions about the logistics network - in particular, the distinction between regular construction bots and the construction bots that are part of my personal roboport:

1) Is it possible to specify whether a construct/destruct command is executed by the bots that are in the personal roboport vs. the bots that are part of the base's roboport network? For example, if I want to clear trees as I expand my base, I'd prefer (most of the time) that the base bots take care of it (rather than my personal roboport bots) because I'd rather the wood go directly into the logistics network rather than into my inventory.

2) Is it possible to build a ghost of an object which I don't have in my inventory but which I do have in my logistics network? For example, let's say I'm walking through my base, and I see that a particular area would benefit from an extra roboport or two - now, I don't normally carry roboports in inventory BUT I do have spares in my logistics network. What is the most efficient way to proceed in this situation?

Return to “Gameplay Help”