Friday Facts #150 - New Terrain Experiments

Regular reports on Factorio development.
slpwnd
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Friday Facts #150 - New Terrain Experiments

Post by slpwnd »

Weekly dose of Factorio news is here: http://www.factorio.com/blog/post/fff-150

imajor
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #150 - New Terrain Experiments

Post by imajor »

Will different biomes affect the gameplay? Or is it just aesthetic?

Blubberbub
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Blubberbub »

Code: Select all

start update thread(); //update all the entities: update the game state for 0, 1 or more ticks so we get 60 UPS
I hope that is a simplification and you don't actually start a new thread in the main loop. ;)

GewaltSam
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by GewaltSam »

That red desert sure looks nice!

Like imajor asked, while reading I came to the idea that it may be nice to put new ores - if you ever plan on doing some - or other resources especially in one biome. There's something like that already in the game, in that it's way more difficult to find wood in the desert (although, of course, wood isn't really important in vanilla Factorio, especially in bigger quantities). Just an idea; something like that should of course only be for stuff you need very late in the game, or that's some luxury you don't need to progress.
Other than that, less CPU usage sounds great! That does mean that bigger factories with the same hardware are possible, doesn't it? Pretty sure we came to a halt on a factory because of my CPU.

Thanks for the new FFF! I'm very curious about the next FFF, and what your plans for the next two updates might be :ugeek:

SomeDuder
Inserter
Inserter

Post by SomeDuder »

imajor wrote:Will different biomes affect the gameplay? Or is it just aesthetic?
Doubt it, hasn't been a thing in the past either.

Anyway, good stuff, a little more variation in the browns and more browns can't hurt! Would like to see a bit more consistent terrain generation though, so less segmentation (Even on an alien planet, I doubt that desert > grassland > desert is a logical pattern) and more style.

devilwarriors
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by devilwarriors »

The last picture in the news is broken for me on steam.

http://steamcommunity.com/games/427520/ ... 8800542433

brunzenstein
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by brunzenstein »

I like that in Version:
0.13.14 - Date: 05. 08. 2016 - automatic updated for Mac
Optimizations: - Significantly reduced the high CPU usage caused by the main loop logic from 0.13.10.

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

devilwarriors wrote:The last picture in the news is broken for me on steam.

http://steamcommunity.com/games/427520/ ... 8800542433
Its fine for me, must be a local steam cache issue, as the image is hosted on their CDN

Grumpalo
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Grumpalo »

Thanks again for the updates dev team! Really looking forward to the multiplayer rewrite. (Crossed fingers for a ban list seperate from the map files!)
GewaltSam wrote:(although, of course, wood isn't really important in vanilla Factorio, especially in bigger quantities)
I don't know about you but wood is always important to me as a resource in vanilla!

Xterminator
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Xterminator »

Great FF this week! Always love to hear about performance optimizations and possibly more UPS gain. :D

New terrain would be great and would add a lot to the game, at least visually! The initial previews look nice, that reddish brown is great looking. Would be awesome if some new type of resource was added in the new biomes as well.
Image Image Image

TheClaw
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by TheClaw »

Nice!

I still favor the bot flight mechanics being reworkedabove terrain :P
Maybe the bots can be in 0.15?

Mazth
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Mazth »

The doodad textures look a bit hazy, but I think the whole feel goes well with the trains; it has that wild west colour scheme going on and all. Definitely needs more yeti's though.

Rahjital
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Rahjital »

How about a swampy biome, one that would actually affect gameplay by slowing players down and perhaps even disallowing building?

Drury
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Drury »

Rahjital wrote:How about a swampy biome, one that would actually affect gameplay by slowing players down and perhaps even disallowing building?
Those ain't good things.

CobraA1
Inserter
Inserter

Post by CobraA1 »

To eat CPU or not to eat CPU

Because of the way it was written initially, the loop would eat up 100% of one CPU core. While it was quickly fixed for the headless server, our office was divided into two camps that would argue whether the main game should use as much CPU as possible to squeeze the best performance possible or sleep when possible to conserve CPU. You can read some more about this problematics. In 0.13.14 there will be a solution which uses much less CPU while sacrificing very little UPS.
I don't know how many people still use single core machines (I don't) - but using 100% of the CPU is a very bad idea on single core machines. It makes everything sluggish, and could lead to starvation of certain resources that aren't getting the CPU time they need.

It's less of a concern on multi-core machines, but still something to think about.

Drury
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Drury »

Seems like a bad idea for multicore too, in case something needs to use all cores to run properly for whatever reason. Or if there's another process that can't access the other cores and is stuck having to put up with Factorio stealing it's wind.

Just generally using 100% of available processing power doesn't seem like such a good idea.

Zeblote
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Zeblote »

Why not add an option? On some large maps you might have to use all available performance.

ChurchOrganist
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ChurchOrganist »

Really looking forward to the 0.14/0.15 roadmap.

The new biomes look good, but I think it would be a great idea to be able to specify the dominant biome during map creation, so that you can have worlds that are mainly desert, mainly grassland, or mainly tundra etc
Want to know where the biters chewing your power plant have come from??
Wondering where your next iron is going to come from??
You need Long Range Radar

Proxy
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Proxy »

why the Dolphin again...?

Drury
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Drury »

ChurchOrganist wrote:Really looking forward to the 0.14/0.15 roadmap.

The new biomes look good, but I think it would be a great idea to be able to specify the dominant biome during map creation, so that you can have worlds that are mainly desert, mainly grassland, or mainly tundra etc
Yep, as a huge fan of deserts and tundras in games the new biomes are great news. Really hope there are some gameplay implications, so that it would bolster trains as a necessity. Large biomes long apart, with various benefits and shortcomings to inhabiting each, requiring the player to have outposts in each for maximum efficiency.

Return to “News”