[0.13.13] robots not laying train tracks on huge road

Things that has been reported already before.
turoni
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

[0.13.13] robots not laying train tracks on huge road

Post by turoni »

First bug report so apologies for any incompleteness on my end.

Okay so I built a really long track around my center lake using the ghost build modus, it got a bit slow when it became too long but if I placed my tracks fast enough it worked perfectly.

Now I'm going around a second time with a diesel locomotive, tracks and my follower bots to lay all the tracks.

The problem is that they're taking pretty long before proceeding to lay each track in reach.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/q8q92w5hdd0eg ... o.PNG?dl=0
About 20 secs minimum before reacting.

- It might be that some tracks where assigned to my follower robots that are still on the other side of the field but that seems unlikely since their speed is maxed out and they can kinda keep up with my tank.
- I think it's probably just performance wise way too many objects too check which I completely understand if it's not important enough to fix.

Update:
This problem also seems to be occurring with new blueprints I place.
I place a substation grid of accumulators and the side facing me and in my robot range was placed inmediatley. The other side took again something like 10-20s before it was place.
Attachments
Construction robots not reacting.zip
(14.84 MiB) Downloaded 118 times
Last edited by turoni on Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: [0.13.9] robots not laying train tracks on huge road

Post by Loewchen »

Pretty sure you just overloaded the robot job queue. Look at the notifications on the right of your hotbar, if there are messages about missing robots for jobs, then you need a different operation sequence for this to not happen.
If you don't think this is the case then please upload the save file it is in the Application directory (see my sig).

Btw, you should update the game.

turoni
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by turoni »

I'm not seeing any notifications in my job queue.
I should've overloaded that for sure but I think it's not showing up since the track was not near a roboport.
My other guess is your personal robots just check all unasigned tasks on the map in a loop for all items and not the most nearby first which works fine except when you drag a huge ghost trail around a lake.

I'm gonna test with 13.13 now.
The issue stays the same in 0.13.13

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Loewchen »

Yes this is indeed not the issue I thought it was, I think it is an old merging thing from the .12 version. Ill see what happened to that.

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: [0.13.13] robots not laying train tracks on huge road

Post by Loewchen »

Wrong again, it was the overload issue after all, see: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=28675
Rseding91 wrote:
wjessup wrote:Thanks for the info, I'll be sure to check the ghosts next time :)

I was hoping that something like each robotics port (player included) should gather a list of ghosts in its radius and only check to do activity on those.

Imagine I blueprint something insane like 10k solar panels far away from my base, it doesn't make sense to continuously check that list since they're obviously not going to be in the radius of anything until I run near them. Why not just gather the list of ghosts to check only when they come into my radius?

As an aside, maybe this global sort of behavior also causes things that seem like the robots are just dumb: sometimes the farthest robots away are the ones that end up having to fly all the way across the base to grab something, meanwhile there are 50 idle bots in a robotics facility just next to me :P
Ghosts outside construction range are stored in a different list of ghosts and processed along side the ones in range so when you end up with a ton of ghosts outside roboport range they don't slow down the ones in range.

Except when you're out building and you build ghosts outside your personal roboport range it scans them and they end up in that list with the possibly thousands of other out-of-range ghosts and then it takes forever for that scan to get around to the ghost again.

How would you know what ghost is in range of what entity when they're built? You'd have to scan every possible logistic network on the surface on every ghost being built and that's a ton of scanning.

Also roboports loose power, can be mined, destroyed, change forces, you (the player) can move around - the ghost can easily not be in range one tick and in range the next.

Robots are smart: when a job is dispatched the nearest robot is picked that can do the job and the job is assigned to him. In the time the robot starts to work other robots might become available closer but the job was already given to that robot. Re-checking if a better robot was available constantly would just *DESTROY* the game performance so once a robot gets a job it's his until he finishes or is destroyed.

Return to “Duplicates”