Weird line tghat goes through my screen

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
reptilebaird
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Weird line tghat goes through my screen

Post by reptilebaird »

I have a 4k monitor. I have a 980m gfx card. Whenever i play, no matter the settings, I get a weird diagonal line that goes through the screen. its like clear but magnifies whatever it goes over or something, idk, its a minor distortion, but it only happens when i move, not anyone else. its from top left to bottom right, maybe 1 or 2 pixels wide.

bk5115545
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Weird line tghat goes through my screen

Post by bk5115545 »

There's something like this that's a known Windows 10 bug.
Does it appear like a triangle forms for a frame or two going from the top-left to the center of your screen?

If yes, the Windows 10 bug is related to using V-Sync (in a completely normal way). It's been around since preview 14342 and it's still there so I don't know if Microsoft plans to fix it.

You can try to force the game to use OpenGL in it's settings which might invoke a different codepath in the graphics driver (and could workaround the Windows bug). Other than that, I have no idea what would be causing it.

reptilebaird
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by reptilebaird »

What do you mean like a triangle forms? It the line starts at the top left and goes to the bottom right.

bk5115545
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by bk5115545 »

The Windows 10 line bug looks like Image
Here is a post where it's a bit better documented https://forums.geforce.com/default/topi ... 70m-980m-/.

For some reason I can get to the geforce forums right now (but I did about an hour ago) so I can't search it for a resolution for you.

Most of the stuff I found online is relative to specific applications but the common factor was that the system had both integrated and discrete graphics and happened with VSync on when framerates were right at the monitors cap (usually 60FPS but maybe 120FPS for your monitor).

alaskanloops
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by alaskanloops »

reptilebaird wrote:I have a 4k monitor. I have a 980m gfx card. Whenever i play, no matter the settings, I get a weird diagonal line that goes through the screen. its like clear but magnifies whatever it goes over or something, idk, its a minor distortion, but it only happens when i move, not anyone else. its from top left to bottom right, maybe 1 or 2 pixels wide.

I'm having this same issue!! Its only noticeable when moving. And it doesn't look like the windows 10 bug, just a diagonal "line" that you can see when moving.

Did you ever find a solution?

I have an Asus UX501V

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

alaskanloops wrote:
reptilebaird wrote:I have a 4k monitor. I have a 980m gfx card. Whenever i play, no matter the settings, I get a weird diagonal line that goes through the screen. its like clear but magnifies whatever it goes over or something, idk, its a minor distortion, but it only happens when i move, not anyone else. its from top left to bottom right, maybe 1 or 2 pixels wide.

I'm having this same issue!! Its only noticeable when moving. And it doesn't look like the windows 10 bug, just a diagonal "line" that you can see when moving.

I have an Asus UX501V
It was reported few times here. Apparently it's an issue with some nvidia cards and windows 10 from what I understood from nvidia forums.

alaskanloops
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by alaskanloops »

orzelek wrote:
alaskanloops wrote:

I have an Asus UX501V
It was reported few times here. Apparently it's an issue with some nvidia cards and windows 10 from what I understood from nvidia forums.
I actually updated Factorio to the latest experimental build, and it fixed the problem!

I'm freaking loving this game, glad it got sorted out. And now i've got achievements working!

EDIT: I spoke too soon, the update didn't fix it.. Must be something to do with my Graphics Card.

GhostPirate
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: Weird line that goes through my screen

Post by GhostPirate »

Sorry to revive an old thread, but I'm having the same issue. Wondering what's causing it - any known solutions?

Return to “Technical Help”