Terrain preview on game setup screen when using seed

Suggestions that have been added to the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

cogwheel
Inserter
Inserter

Terrain preview on game setup screen when using seed

Post by cogwheel »

Map exchange strings are great, but they make it a bit cumbersome to test variations on settings. Plain seeds are a bit better in this respect, but there's still a lot of latency between changing a setting, seeing its effect, and returning to the new game screen with all the previous settings selected.

I would love to have a terrain preview on the game creation screen when I'm using a seed or map exchange string. It would make the process of getting the settings you want much simpler. As I imagine it, it would basically just be a minimap of the initial spawned chunks. I realize this would involve spinning up a bunch of code much earlier in the flow than present, but I think it would be a huge QoL improvement (especially for testing terrain gen changes ;) )

Actually, now that I think about it a bit more, I think I've been too cautious. This would work well for random seeds too. Just hide it behind a checkbox for people who don't want spoilers. Right now it's nothing but a time sink to find a seed you want.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Terrain preview on game setup screen when using seed

Post by ssilk »

Added to viewtopic.php?f=80&t=13022 World Generation / Map Generator / Game Modes / Scenarios
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Return to “Implemented Suggestions”