When you run into a tree when building, stop, don't sidestep

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

TheBeardyMan
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

When you run into a tree when building, stop, don't sidestep

Post by TheBeardyMan »

I'm sure this has happened to everybody: you're running and placing conveyor belts, and you're sure that you're clear of that tree ahead of you, but when you reach it, it turns out that you're not, and you step to one side and place several belts out of line with where they're supposed to be.

This could be prevented by having the act of continuous building change the player's behaviour when running into a tree from sidestepping to stopping completely.
Last edited by TheBeardyMan on Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Harkonnen604
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: When you run into a tree when building, stop, don't sidestep

Post by Harkonnen604 »

Good point, +1.

I'd also mention my other suggestion here (about trees, not buildings) - some form of ctrl-click placement that automatically harvests trees and rocks on the way instead of stopping or sidestepping.

BlakeMW
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by BlakeMW »

Another thing is with belts and pipes it hardly makes sense to lay them in any orientation other than their direction of transport - this is especially true with underground belt and pipe-to-ground. I would prefer it if these things snap to a line aligned with their rotation and maintain that line as long as you are holding down the mouse key.
Last edited by BlakeMW on Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

siggboy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by siggboy »

There's a mod that does what Blake suggested (Easy Belt Layer). I'm not sure if it's updated for 0.13.

I've used it most of the time, it worked really well but sometimes it got in the way. I'm sure something like it could easily implemented in Vanilla, and then probably work more reliably. (I don't know enough about modding Factorio to know if there's a limitation there that made Easy Belt sometimes a bit awkward.)

Actually I might have misunderstood: Easy Belt Layer allows you to basically "draw" a line with the belt and it makes the belt turns for you.

What Blake suggests would go against this, but it would also be great. +1 to that.
Is your railroad worrying you? Doctor T-Junction recommends: Smart, dynamic train deliveries with combinator Magick

LuckyStar
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by LuckyStar »

It's funny, this plauged me today a great deal when i was trying to make my bloody stone outpost work.

+1 +1 +1 +1

Even if mods cover the subject, there is no reason why this shouldn't be in vanilla.

xuhao
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by xuhao »

could such a feature be a problem when figthing critters? would you be able to run/escape trough a forrest without stopping every time you run into a tree??

siggboy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by siggboy »

xuhao wrote:could such a feature be a problem when figthing critters? would you be able to run/escape trough a forrest without stopping every time you run into a tree??
You're probably not busy laying belts while you're running away from biters...
Is your railroad worrying you? Doctor T-Junction recommends: Smart, dynamic train deliveries with combinator Magick

LuckyStar
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by LuckyStar »

siggboy wrote:
xuhao wrote:could such a feature be a problem when figthing critters? would you be able to run/escape trough a forrest without stopping every time you run into a tree??
You're probably not busy laying belts while you're running away from biters...

He probably means that this feature should independet, he wants to simply run away from the biters with ease, regardless of belts.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Added to viewtopic.php?f=80&t=22305 Walking on Belts (New Power Armor module)

This describes the problem more or less viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1084 Placement when walking
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

kpreid
Inserter
Inserter

Post by kpreid »

This problem is annoying but removing sidestepping would also be annoying, because there's plenty of small sidesteps around trees and power poles and so on that don't interfere with building most of the time. I have an idea for a different solution to the problem:

If you are building and sidestep due to running into something, then don't move the camera, i.e. the character is no longer exactly at the center. Thus the cursor position relative to the world doesn't change, and you keep building. When you let go of the mouse button, the camera would then slide back to where it normally would be.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”