Biome Expansion

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Overene
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Biome Expansion

Post by Overene »

One of the biggest areas where I see lack of content in factorio is with biomes. Currently there are really just 3, being plains (including forests), deserts, and ocean, which leaves biomes with little variety. On top of that, biomes don't really mean anything either, excluding for the ocean. Besides for natural objects found in the desert and plains, they are essentially the same. That's why I'm suggesting a fix to that.

New biomes
Ocean
The ocean in the game would stay mostly the same. However, you'd occasionally find random materials and occasionally other items wash up on the shore.

Desert
The deserts would be somewhat different. Mechanical objects in them (such as inserters) would occasionally overheat, and stop working until repaired. Solar panels would also be 130% as effective here, and biter colonies would only appear 75% as often, but spitter colonies would appear 120% as often. Worms would only appear 50% as often here. The overheating effects could be cancelled out with lategame research.

Plains
The plains would stay very similar to how they currently are. However, worms would frequently spawn in the wild, even away from biter/spitter colonies. In addition, you'd also occasionally find stray biters and spitters scattered across here. No matter the evolution, the stray enemies would stay in their least evolved form. When a stray biter or spitter, approaches a colony of its type, it would then join it. Otherwise, it would aimlessly wander around.

Tundra
The new tundra biome would be what you'd expect. A freezing wasteland that's a void of life, but also very harsh conditions. It would never appear close the spawn, but would be somewhat common after that. The tundra would have no stray enemies, no randomly spawning worms, and biter/spitter colonies would only spawn 20% as often as they normally do. While this may make the tundra seem very safe, it has its downsides. Every one to three hours, a large storm would hit the tundra, doing damage to all buildings plus the character. There would be no research available to get around this, and you'd need to resort to construction bots to fix the damage. Solar panels would also stop working during a storm. During any given storm, every train would have a 1/20 chance to get blown off track and destroyed, making the use of trains a bad idea for this biome. In addition, furnaces in tundras would only be 80% as effective, miners would work at 80% the speed, and the players would have 80% the walking speed and would slowly take damage unless its wearing good armor.

Wasteland
The wastelands would be the ideal place to build large parts of your factory. They would never spawn directly at spawn, but could spawn near it. In wastelands, biter and spitter nests would only be 5% as common, and biters/spitters wouldn't actively colonize wastelands, but in addition, the nests would be scattered evenly and wouldn't form in groups. There's be no strays or randomly spawning worms. Wastelands would never spawn by an ocean and would never have lakes in them. While this might seem OP as a place to set up shop, there'd be a tradeoff. No ore would spawn here, and oil would still spawn but deposits would be very poor

Alien Wilderness
This biome would very rare and spawn very far away from spawn. In the alien wilderness, ore deposits would be 150% as rich, oil would be scarce but deposits would be 300% as rich, and in addition, there would be rare deposits of mineable alien artifacts. Artifact deposits however would be pretty poor and small. The ground in this biome would be purple, and instead of regular trees, you'd see purple alien trees, unlike anything you'd find in a normal forest. The water in this biome would be blue-green, but would function the same as normal water. For all of this though, there'd be a drawback. The aliens in the Alien Wilderness would act as if the evolution factor was 1, no matter what your evolution factor really is, and the entire biome would literally be like one massive colony, making it extremely difficult to gain access to the biome. If you do though, you'd be rewarded with the rich deposits of ore and oil that could be found here.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Biome Expansion

Post by ssilk »

I added this to viewtopic.php?f=80&t=13022 World Generation / Map Generator / Game Modes / Scenarios

I know it is not exactly what you want. But currently I miss a thread about exactly new biomes and have not so much time left and before we have new biomes, the map-generator needs to be able to handle such stuff. :)
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

LuckyStar
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: Biome Expansion

Post by LuckyStar »

This is pretty game changing, so I doubt this will be added.

If this against all odds was to be realized, maybe there could be an option map gen to use it or not, as biome expansion may not be liked by everyone.

If you are truly serious about this, I suggest turning to the modding community.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”