Manual inventory sorting please!!

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

PhoenicsThePhoenix
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Manual inventory sorting please!!

Post by PhoenicsThePhoenix »

I think the most frustrating thing at the moment is when I need to split stacks neatly: having to pause the game, go to the options, turn off auto-sort, back out, split the stacks, use the stacks, and then go back in and turn on auto sort again. It could easily be solved with a single sort button in the GUI, or a keybind, and for chests too, for players like me who like a sorted inventory but need precise stack splitting (eg. for even, manual distribution of resources to 8-machine setups) :D

theRustyKnife
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Manual inventory sorting please!!

Post by theRustyKnife »

+1 to that.
I've been missing this since I started playing, though I never realized the solution is that simple :D

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Very old suggestion. But I think this will not be implemented.

Some explanations/reasons:
viewtopic.php?f=76&t=88&p=63462 Sort inventory Key
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4276 Sorting Quickbutton / Overriding Autosort

I must say that I also never needed this. I think many player that come from Minecraft miss this.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

theRustyKnife
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by theRustyKnife »

ssilk wrote:Very old suggestion. But I think this will not be implemented.
Oh well :|. I guess I could try to make it a mod then?
ssilk wrote:I must say that I also never needed this. I think many player that come from Minecraft miss this.
That's probably true, especially for those who played with mods ;).

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

theRustyKnife wrote: Oh well :|. I guess I could try to make it a mod then?
Maybe that mod already exists? I don't know...
That's probably true, especially for those who played with mods ;).
<shrug> I also play with many, many mods, and I really never needed something like this. And nobody can explain me, what I'm doing wrong. :) Maybe I never try to do things myself, I try always to automate the things.

Lately I saw some youtuber filling up gun turrets. And he did it 5 times in one hour. I shaked my head: He would spare a lot of time/work if he had automated that when he placed the turrets.
Ok, sometimes in the early game I need to fill turrets by hand. But that is also a moment, when you have really nothing left to fill in, so I put only one, two, maybe five magazines in. No need to split stacks for one item.
Same with any assembly: As soon as I have enough resources, it will be automated somehow.

When you read the linked thread you see, that this is eventually wanted: It bring the player sooner to a point to think about automation. :)

theRustyKnife
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by theRustyKnife »

ssilk wrote:Lately I saw some youtuber filling up gun turrets. And he did it 5 times in one hour. I shaked my head: He would spare a lot of time/work if he had automated that when he placed the turrets.
Ok, sometimes in the early game I need to fill turrets by hand. But that is also a moment, when you have really nothing left to fill in, so I put only one, two, maybe five magazines in. No need to split stacks for one item.
Same with any assembly: As soon as I have enough resources, it will be automated somehow.
Honestly, I personally don't miss this as much for splitting stacks as I do for 'organizing' my inventory.

For example: I'm about to build a new part of my base which needs a powerplant. I take my blueprint and get all the things needed for my personal bots to build it. At this point I would REALLY enjoy being able to put the stuff for the blueprint aside, so that I can clearly see what I already have/what I can't use on anything else.

There's a ton of such situations when I'd really appreciate this feature. Even moving the toggle to the top of the inventory as someone suggested would do the trick for me since I do like to have my inventory auto-sorted most of the time anyway.

I think I'll proceed to try to create the mod now ;).

Cheers TRK

Ranakastrasz
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Ranakastrasz »

Main Menu -> Options -> Other -> Always Keep Player Inventory Sorted.

Now we just need a mod that adds a button to sort the inventory, and we will be peachy.

Admittedly, I never have turned it off, but I expect it will work.
My Mods:
Modular Armor Revamp - V16
Large Chests - V16
Agent Orange - V16
Flare - V16
Easy Refineries - V16

theRustyKnife
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by theRustyKnife »

Ranakastrasz wrote:Main Menu -> Options -> Other -> Always Keep Player Inventory Sorted.

Now we just need a mod that adds a button to sort the inventory, and we will be peachy.

Admittedly, I never have turned it off, but I expect it will work.
I know about that, the thing is that it's quite annoying to have to go to settings just to make a quick change that'll be reverted in a moment anyway.
What I meant was to move this option from the settings menu to the inventory which is way easier to open.

Not to say the sort button won't be useful either, quite the opposite I believe :D.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

theRustyKnife wrote:For example: I'm about to build a new part of my base which needs a powerplant. I take my blueprint and get all the things needed for my personal bots to build it. At this point I would REALLY enjoy being able to put the stuff for the blueprint aside, so that I can clearly see what I already have/what I can't use on anything else.
Hmmm. Most of my blueprints are so large and use so many items, that I would need MINUTES to sort the stuff out. Currently the best way to deal with it is not to care on it and just take enough stuff with you... :)
Hm. This would be useful, yes, but - as always - there are many ways to achieve the same... Such a mechanism should be in my opinion part of some kind of one-time-request-by-blueprint, a feature, that is already suggestend two or three times.
There's a ton of such situations when I'd really appreciate this feature. Even moving the toggle to the top of the inventory as someone suggested would do the trick for me since I do like to have my inventory auto-sorted most of the time anyway.
Ok, I try to understand, what's REALLY needed. Currently you can use for example the quickbar to sort stuff. Now think you can split your inventory into two parts: One is sorted, the other not. You can use a dragbar to change how many stacks belong to one and how many to the other.

Would THAT be useful for your style of playing?

theRustyKnife
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by theRustyKnife »

ssilk wrote: Hmmm. Most of my blueprints are so large and use so many items, that I would need MINUTES to sort the stuff out. Currently the best way to deal with it is not to care on it and just take enough stuff with you... :)
Hm. This would be useful, yes, but - as always - there are many ways to achieve the same... Such a mechanism should be in my opinion part of some kind of one-time-request-by-blueprint, a feature, that is already suggestend two or three times.
That is actually a great idea. Then I guess I'd be out of arguments eventhough I would still like to have this feature.
ssilk wrote: Ok, I try to understand, what's REALLY needed. Currently you can use for example the quickbar to sort stuff. Now think you can split your inventory into two parts: One is sorted, the other not. You can use a dragbar to change how many stacks belong to one and how many to the other.

Would THAT be useful for your style of playing?
Yes, actually I think that would work better than the original suggestion (if the dragbar was accessible from the inventory). This might just be the ultimate solution :D.

theRustyKnife
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by theRustyKnife »

I would just like to point out, that the mod is up on Factorio Mods. Enjoy your sorting :D

Jan11
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Sorting button

Post by Jan11 »

Hi,

I know there is a option for inventory sorting, but most of the time I don`t want to sort it, because I have my own inventory order.
I really would prefer a button in the inventory edge, which sorts only once my inventory. :D

conn11
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Sorting button

Post by conn11 »

Check out the interface tab in the option menu. There you can toggle auto sort.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

Also you can reserve slots of your inventory (middle mouse button by default). These don't auto-sort.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

ManaUser
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by ManaUser »

I'm used to the auto sort now, but I definitely would have preferred this when I started playing.

A similar button to sort chests and other containers would be nice too.
Last edited by ManaUser on Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Merged with same request — ssilk

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”