UI - Clicking on an object should always select it

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

atloomis
Inserter
Inserter

UI - Clicking on an object should always select it

Post by atloomis »

Currently if you click on two objects, say an assebly machine then an inserter, the first object remains selected. It seems like more intuitive UI design to have clicking on an object always bring up its interface.

Otterbear
Inserter
Inserter

Re: UI - Clicking on an object should always select it

Post by Otterbear »

Completely agree! Having to use escape key EVERY time I go from one box/assembler/smelter/inventory...is mind-numbingly dull!

Interfaces should open and close logically. If I click on something, the previous menu should close and the new one open. At the very least, there could be a close window button, so that I don't have to have three hands to play this game.

daniel34
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by daniel34 »

Otterbear wrote:Completely agree! Having to use escape key EVERY time I go from one box/assembler/smelter/inventory...is mind-numbingly dull!

Interfaces should open and close logically. If I click on something, the previous menu should close and the new one open. At the very least, there could be a close window button, so that I don't have to have three hands to play this game.
There is a close window key and by default it's bound to E. It closes all in-game dialogs/windows and is a little bit easier to reach than the escape key.

Nonetheless I do support this suggestion since there is no reason to not open the dialog of the newly clicked item instead (or additionally?) to the previous one.
quick links: log file | graphical issues | wiki

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Hm. It is eventually useful to have some entities open at the same time. Think for example to screenshots of combinator/inserter.
Or multiselect entities. To change modules of many assemblies at the same time.
Some may want to have a special entity always in view, for example to see, when an important stuff is finished.
Think to OpenTTD: you can have as many train-windows open, as you want, which is a very, very useful feature.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

atloomis
Inserter
Inserter

Post by atloomis »

Either would be better than the current behavior, though I would lean toward opening a new window in addition to the current one rather than replacing it. It would be helpful to have a combinator that tracked when resources were running low open in the corner full time, or for keeping an eye on a train, or any of a number of other things.

Otterbear
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Otterbear »

ssilk wrote:Hm. It is eventually useful to have some entities open at the same time. Think for example to screenshots of combinator/inserter.
Or multiselect entities. To change modules of many assemblies at the same time.
Some may want to have a special entity always in view, for example to see, when an important stuff is finished.
Think to OpenTTD: you can have as many train-windows open, as you want, which is a very, very useful feature.
I agree; Having the windows stay open is ideal. Having to open one window to pick up an item/stack. Then close that widow and open another to transfer it there, and repeat, is, I think, the main issue. also a simple click-to-close option would streamline the process and, IMHO, bring the interface closer to the 21st century. ;0)

Currently you rarely can have two windows open at once, and usually the window you want to open is unavailable to open due to the current restrictions.

Pe334
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Pe334 »

I agree with the "click-to-close option ", just posted this in another post viewtopic.php?f=6&t=29642.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Added to viewtopic.php?f=80&t=25782 Improvements of the Graphical User Interface (GUI)
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”