[YouTube] FishSandwich's Factorio playthroughs

Post by FishSandwich »

Current Series':
Factorio 0.14 Mega Base here!
Factorio Tutorials here!
Factorio MOD Spotlights here!

Older Series':
Factorio 0.12 "Hard Mode" here!
Factorio Coop - Split Dependencies here!
Factorio Fighting Fire with Fire here!
The Long Haul - Factorio with DrNickDoom here!
Factorio PvP - USA vs UK here!
Factorio 0.11.x Ribbon&Dytech here!
Factorio PvP - Xterminator vs FishSandwich here!
Factorio 0.11.x Ribbon here!
Factorio 0.11.x Dytech "Hard Mode" here!
Factorio 0.11.x Play with Fish here!
Factorio 0.11.x Multiplayer Experiences here!
Factorio 0.10.x Dytech here!
Factorio 0.10.x "Hard Mode" here!
Factorio 0.9.x here!
Factorio 0.8.8 here!

Thanks, enjoy!
Last edited by FishSandwich on Sat Nov 26, 2016 5:33 pm, edited 19 times in total.

CherryKiss
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: Yet another Factorio let's play

Post by CherryKiss »

pleasant voice :)

I'll not likely watch sadly, because I'm looking to find a LP from someone closer to my own level of play, also I prefer to see 0.9.1 or further, since I'm currently playing that version too. Plus I'm already following a couple LPs.

Good luck in your LP! Hope you get lots of views :)

FishSandwich
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FishSandwich »

Hi CherryKiss, that's no problem. Thanks for watching! If only for a moment. ;)

FishSandwich
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FishSandwich »

Hi guys, just letting you know that I've started a playthrough of Factorio 0.9.x so check it out if you enjoyed my 0.8.8 playthrough, or if you're looking for a playthrough for this version!
Last edited by FishSandwich on Tue May 13, 2014 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

slay_mithos
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by slay_mithos »

I watched the 0.8 playthrough, and I have to say that I found it pretty boring, for a few reasons.

Keep in mind that those are personal preferences, so my view might not be shared by many.

Playing on peaceful doesn't exactly showcase the full extend of the game, because you never have to fear the aliens attacks, and those are an integral part of the experience.
While I understand wanting just to play around, it does add a lot to have potential threats when making videos, if those videos are not only about explaining specific mechanisms and showcasing various builds to show the strengths and weaknesses of each.
It also makes your last episode very boring to watch, when it could (should?) be a big fight against the bitters.

After that comes the fact that you talk a lot, explaining your builds and all, but you do it after the facts, making it only slightly better than still images with explanations.

I don't know, it might be just me, but when I watch a let's play, I like either people playing like they are on an adventure, trying to figure things out, but in a way that is interesting to watch (people like the yogscast crew in various games), or people that really know the game, and walk the viewers on how to set things, and why this way is better than an other in this situation (scott manley for KSP).
I know it's easy to critic when I am not even trying to produce videos, so I thought about it and came with a few pointers that could work for you, use it or discard it as you will.

1/ Do it more "live", talk about why you choose an approach, what you know and don't, while building and designing the build. It really adds value to the video, at least for me as an other player.

2/ If you are not against it, try to play with mods (I can give you a list that change things around if you want), very few youtubers actually play with them, and if your videos are good enough, you would definitely attract a public.
That said, I know that some people don't like the idea of modding, and youtubers tend to think it's better to show the base game only, to show off the game itself to the public, so both sides have their advantages.

Anyway, because there are so few series about this game, good luck with yours, I'll definitely be watching it regardless.

FishSandwich
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FishSandwich »

Hi slay_mithos, thanks for the post. I do agree with you on the peaceful mode thing for 0.8.8, which is why I have it turned off with my new playthrough, so I'll definitely be delving into that area of the game (which I don't do often when playing in my own time, so there may be a lot of surprises in store for this playthrough)

I do play with mods in my own time, I especially like Dytech. But as you said, I'd prefer to show off the base game itself(that's why I'm doing them by version, to show of the specific features) Although that may be something that changes in future. Factorio does seem to be my most popular series at the moment, so it might be good for me to delve into different things with the game.
slay_mithos wrote:After that comes the fact that you talk a lot, explaining your builds and all, but you do it after the facts, making it only slightly better than still images with explanations.
This is just my style of recording I guess, but again it may be something that changes in future. I actually listened to a couple of recordings I did about half a year ago and was really surprised at how much my style has changed. From the tone and confidence in my voice to what I talk about, it just seemed like a huge improvement compared to my earlier videos.

Anyway, thanks again for the post and I'll be taking everything you've said into consideration. Thanks for watching, and I hope you'll enjoy this playthrough a little more. :)

FishSandwich
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: FishSandwich's Factorio playthroughs

Post by FishSandwich »

Hi guys, so I've just recently finished my 0.9.x playthrough, and I'm going to be doing another one for 0.10 which will hopefully be out in a few days time. I've been thinking of mixing it up slightly and going for a sort of "HARD MODE" style playthrough, where I'll literally have enemy base frequency set to very high, size very big and richness to very good. But I have a couple questions first, because I've tried this on my own a few times and end up getting wiped out a few hours into each game.

Firstly, suggestions?
I tend to rush turrets and do pretty much everything manually (except mining of course) to start with in order to keep pollution to a minimum. I use logs for fuel and don't mine coal, the only automation I have is for red science packs and walls. Once I have enough turrets/walls to surround my tiny base I start to lay them down and it's pretty good at holding back small biters, but once I start to get the medium biters attacking me they start taking me out because I can't keep up with repairing walls and keeping gun turrets magazines stocked, and by that point I am not even close to laser turrets or logistics.

Secondly, would you be interested in watching that?
Obviously with almost everything being done manually, there not being much automation or building, and the chance that the series would be cut short by me being wiped out might make this kind of a daunting series. But there is the chance that I manage to pull it off, getting defenses set up nice enough for me to push to expand my borders and seeing every tactical decision.

Anyway, even if you don't watch my playthroughs I am interested in opinions on this. Thanks!

starxplor
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by starxplor »

I am currently watching your 9.x playthrough, and would definitely be interested in a hard mode like you describe.

As for strategy, I tend to almost entirely skip gun turrets. I automate both science packs and bee line to oil, adv oil, and laser turrets. Depending on the settings, I might make one or two turrets, i build walls to make mazes to slow them down enough for me to run to the edge and shoot them myself. Even the mediums, when distracted by walls, can be taken out with the better bullet gun(machine gun?)

FishSandwich
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FishSandwich »

I'm not sure how that would work in this situation. :P Let me just post a pic of the situation I would be in if I played with the settings I said:

Without turrets I would probably get wiped out, as there's no way I can hold them off on my own. :P Actually, I sometimes have to help the turrets, so even with turrets it's difficult.

MtNak
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by MtNak »

I'm currently doing that, but with starting area very big.
I try to control the pollution very much, this means a slower start and i don't know how that works with a lets play but i kept doing that for the early game until i had a wall and some torrets around. Then rush for production of raw resources of as much as i can get without overpolluting to produce as much solar as i can and replace the torrets with laser ones. Once i have a perimeter i rush for efectivity modules for everything.

FishSandwich
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FishSandwich »

MtNak wrote:I'm currently doing that, but with starting area very big.
I try to control the pollution very much, this means a slower start and i don't know how that works with a lets play but i kept doing that for the early game until i had a wall and some torrets around. Then rush for production of raw resources of as much as i can get without overpolluting to produce as much solar as i can and replace the torrets with laser ones. Once i have a perimeter i rush for efectivity modules for everything.
Yeah I can do this with starting area very big, but then its not exactly a hard mode because there is plenty of time to get everything set up before biters come to attack. :p

I guess my issue at the moment is that I try to keep my pollution as low as possible with only a few miners and furnaces running as well as some research automation, but they still swarm me from every angle as soon as they start sniffing that pollution. :/

starxplor
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by starxplor »

With that map, I would put a minimum two deep walls first at the top, between the two lakes, including the copper inside your area.
Next, run a line of wall down from the left lake, including both the iron patches, but when you get near the bottom 'sea', swing right to avoid agro-ing the bitters there.
Third, three sections, one from the right lake down at an angle to the smaller of the two lower lakes, another section connecting those two smaller lakes, and a third down from left side of larger of these smaller lakes to the sea.

With biters this close, you probably need 4 gun turrets, two on each side. once you place the walls, you will start to notice they tend to always attack the same place. put guns there, and place some belts for quicker movement to the target area. This relys on the biters not having very good AI, the just keep attacking the same places, so build up the walls there, 3 or 4 deep even.

I am not sure I see enough stone on this map to do this, I tend to worry more about stone in my starting area than anything else, for this reason.

FishSandwich
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FishSandwich »

Alright nice advice, I'll keep it in mind. :P

tralala
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by tralala »

Difficult I would say but not impossible. The iron shortage will probably become the biggest problem short-term. If you could wipe out the nests to the south you can concnetrate your defenses to the north, west and east and have enough space. But there is a big one in the south-west which you probably can't take out early game.

MtNak
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by MtNak »

FishSandwich wrote:
MtNak wrote:I'm currently doing that, but with starting area very big.
Yeah I can do this with starting area very big, but then its not exactly a hard mode because there is plenty of time to get everything set up before biters come to attack. :p
I forgot to say that i play in a desert with segmentation very low, so i have no trees at all to absorb pollution. And water very low too. I do this to have almost the same challenge but with just more space to work with. This can be a good and bad thing as you have more places to defend.
Also with frecuency of all resources to very low so that i have to expand the same way as you do.

FishSandwich
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FishSandwich »

Sup guys, just letting you know that I've started a playthrough of Factorio 0.10.x which I'm calling a "Hard Mode" playthrough. It's basically me trying to survive on a default map with all enemy settings set to highest. :P

sillyfly
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by sillyfly »

Looking forward to see how you fare. Good luck :)

FishSandwich
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FishSandwich »

Hehe, thanks. I'm hoping this will last a few episodes at least. xD

Arenem
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Arenem »

Looking forward to your vids!

FishSandwich
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FishSandwich »

Arenem wrote:Looking forward to your vids!
Thanks!

Also, just letting you guys know that part 2 came out a few hours ago. :)

Return to “Videos”