5 Must Have Mods!!!

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
wizo77
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

5 Must Have Mods!!!

Post by wizo77 »

1.Big Bags A must have
2.Fast Running Super fast from the start...Yea
3.Long Reach Another must have
4.Mining Tools This one is a gem. Got it all
5.Warehousing (myfav) Hoarder I am. Why this is not in the base game is crazy. make a factory put everything in a chest NO!

HM.. 5dim transport ....Long pipes and Hypersonic belts..... awesome!

Its alot of great mods out there these made my all time great list. Big thanks too all the modders out there. Keep them comming!!

I dream FACTORIO!!! :D :D :D :D

Jupiter
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: 5 Must Have Mods!!!

Post by Jupiter »

wizo77 wrote:1.Big Bags A must have
Somehow this feels like a cheat (I don't wanna cheat, I just want to make life easier for myself without taking away from the challenge) but after thinking about it, it isn't really a cheat. Will download
I like designing personal transport systems around my base like PAX trains, belts along my bus in opposite direction to run on, using concrete. So no fast running for me.
Ditto. But actually a cheat in the context of clearing large areas of enemy bases. You can just plant walls of laser turrets from a distance while sitting in your car, possibly attracting some aggro by using personal laser defense and drive in circles around your lasers.
A cheat on the one hand but on the other hand, it's only a cheat in early game. Might pick this one up. The earliest of early game is boring anyway (until you get to planning out your base of course)
5.Warehousing (myfav) Hoarder I am. Why this is not in the base game is crazy. make a factory put everything in a chest NO!
Buffering = bad idea. Try moving a topped-off buffer. Nearly impossible. Check out Negative Root's "Break the game" series in which he has to deal with a huge misplaced buffer: https://youtu.be/zoTt5_DHvCQ?list=PL-7I ... I3gX&t=166. And it really serves no purpose. It's not that resource patches will run away if you aren't looking. And what if your defenses fail and your buffer gets destroyed. Bye Bye resources.

My personal top 5 (out of many mods I have, ignoring obvious ones like blueprint string, RSO and FARL and any mod mentioned by OP):
1. Bulldozer
2. Squeak through
3. Belt planner
4. VoidChestInstant. Get rid of your useless handgun, and basic ammo, and burner inserters, and old armor, and, and,
5. Auto fill
Last edited by Jupiter on Tue Jul 12, 2016 2:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Miravlix
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Miravlix »

Have to agree with the reply, most of ops "must have" changes the game balance in favor of the player, but throwing around the word cheating is just soo last year, might as well claim using a car, instead of a horse, is cheating, it's extremely outdated mentality. Modding isn't cheating.

I'm much more in favor of mod like RSO that makes thing harder or like belt planner/F.A.R.L./YARM that improves on the game without significantly ruining game balance.

Jupiter
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Jupiter »

Miravlix wrote:... might as well claim using a car, instead of a horse, is cheating, it's extremely outdated mentality. Modding isn't cheating...
Except for that cars are actually in the game. (and horses are not for some reason....). But in the end you are right in that modding isn't really cheating. It's more that you are making a conscious decision about how you want to play the game.
But my choice of words really has to do with the fact that I'm in the middle of my first play through and I want to complete the first game without 'cheats' just so I know I can do it without. After that I'll just go crazy with the mods. Doing it this way will also allow me to better judge the value and impact of any mod.

Nexela
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Nexela »

My List of 5 must have mods.

#1 Smart Trains because Factorio trains are just not smart enough!
#2 Bob's Mods (the complete edition) - Just the right amount of new stuff without totally revamping the old stuff.
#3 Autofill - Kind of Cheaty but really no different then laser turret/roboport creep
#4 RSO mod - Because vanilla generation is meh
#5 AutoTrash - Makes managing your inventory and logi requests so much easier!

Ranakastrasz
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Ranakastrasz »

How can you choose just 5?

-EvoGUI -- Useful information that really ought to be in vanilla.
-NotGloom -- Day-night cycle is way too fast.
-Rescaled-Evolution-Factor -- Makes evolution factor more dynamic, and actually react to what you do.
-Squeak Through -- Pipes. Enough said.
-Modular Armor -- Earlier armor, and more options.

-longer-belts -- Belts are too short. Seriously.
-expanded_tools -- Higher speed, uses higher tier stuff.
-Agent Orange -- Because early game trees can be really, really annoying. And poison takes a while to research.
-Laser_Beam_Turrets -- Because laser turrets. Not plasma bolt turrets.
My Mods:
Modular Armor Revamp - V16
Large Chests - V16
Agent Orange - V16
Flare - V16
Easy Refineries - V16

Jupiter
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Jupiter »

Ranakastrasz wrote:How can you choose just 5?
Yea it's hard. I have 50 mods installed to choose from XD

Ranakastrasz
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Ranakastrasz »

How could I forget about Fluid Barrel? Lubricant is not the easiest thing to transport.
Item Count: Only knowing what is in your hand, not the total count? How can you live with that?
Flow Control: Makes pipes SOOO much easiser to use.
Upgrade planner and Modular Inserter. Modular Inserter is probably not needed anymore, admittedly.
Extra toolbelts. 20 slots isn't enough. Honestly, 40 slots probably isn't enough either, but still.
Red Alerts: Is that damage or death?
My Mods:
Large Chests - V16
Agent Orange - V16
Flare - V16
Easy Refineries - V16

Optera
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Optera »

Hard to find 5 i'd need on every game.
These 5 are the ones I that add most in my opinion.

#1 Blueprint String (so handy, why is it not part of the base game yet?)
#2 FARL (I love OTTD like tain networks)
#3 Rail Tanker (I love OTTD like tain networks)
#4 RSO (generates need to use FARL and Rail Tanker)
#5 Orbital Ion Cannon (we automate everything, why not automate cleaning biter nests)

garath
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by garath »

For me:

1. RSO - In 0.12, you didn't need to use trains with all the resources within belt range. RSO moves the resources out far away so you must use rail to get them.
2. Rail Tanker - Love being able to transport oil so easily
3. Double Reach - Increasing the reach from 5 to 10 is a nice compromise. It isn't as OP as reaching anything you can see but is a huge help.
4. Larger Inventory - Yeah, this is cheating. But it is easier to carry more stuff than to run around trying to remember where you put stuff.
5. Logistics mod (forgot the name) - This one lets you see where you put stuff in any of your chests. Haven't seen this one updated for 0.13 yet.

ytsejam
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by ytsejam »

wizo77 wrote:1.Big Bags A must have

HM.. 5dim transport ....Long pipes and Hypersonic belts..... awesome!

Its alot of great mods out there these made my all time great list. Big thanks too all the modders out there. Keep them comming!!

I dream FACTORIO!!! :D :D :D :D
1- Ok, if you take them as what they are: a cheat mod
2- same
3- same
4- Cool, but that High Pressure Water Injection is more like graphical cheating console command to generate resources
5- Agreed

This is more like a "favorite" mods list, not "must have"

Anyway, I see "must have" mods as something that could be in the vanilla version, like RSO (as an option) and Warehousing. I don't see the problem to call mods like Autofill and Long reach cheats, because that's what they are. They don't fix or improve a design flaw, they bend the game's rules to make the player's life easier. Nothing wrong with that, it's a matter of preference. I don't like them, because they make some mechanics ridiculously easy, but that's me.

On the other hand, we have those mods that make the game harder (no hand crafting, bob's, angel's refining and processing...). I love those, but I would never include them in my "must have" list, because they also bend the game's rules, to make it more difficult and complex.

steinio
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by steinio »

I also play with a lot of mods, espacially with the Bob's pack but would really suggest following mods for beginner and vanilla romancer:

- EvoGUI
- YARM
- RSO
- FARL
- Rail Tanker

Greetings steinio

Transport Belt Repair Man

View unread Posts

Jupiter
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Jupiter »

steinio wrote:I also play with a lot of mods, espacially with the Bob's pack but would really suggest following mods for beginner and vanilla romancer:

- EvoGUI
- YARM
- RSO
- FARL
- Rail Tanker

Greetings steinio
IMO, YARM, FARL and Rail Tanker don't preserve the vanilla flavor. They really make the game easier to play (not just easier to do things you already could but allow you to do new things).

Ranakastrasz
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Ranakastrasz »

Jupiter wrote:
steinio wrote:I also play with a lot of mods, espacially with the Bob's pack but would really suggest following mods for beginner and vanilla romancer:

- EvoGUI
- YARM
- RSO
- FARL
- Rail Tanker

Greetings steinio
IMO, YARM, FARL and Rail Tanker don't preserve the vanilla flavor. They really make the game easier to play (not just easier to do things you already could but allow you to do new things).
Yarm is the only one that I think adds anything seriously far from vanilla.
YARM, while you can't get get info on the remaining resources, you can read belts to determine when they are near depleted, or even when a specific mine is near depleted if done correctly. Still not anywhere near the same thing.
FARL, I haven't used. I think the new track laying scheme is far more user friendly, but doesn't support blueprint... Thinggy. However that works. So kinda superior in that sense.
Rail Tanker, well, for Oil, it works like vanilla. To simulate the rest, you need Liquid Barrels, or similar. Cargo wagon. Fill with Oil Barrels. Drop off. Unload into pipes. Fill with empty barrels. Unload. Fill with Oil. Repeat. Its just more user friendly.

On Topic. Off Topic.
Side note. This thread, was someone specifically saying that they had 5 modes they thought were mandatory to play with, not asking people for their 5 top mods.
My Mods:
Large Chests - V16
Agent Orange - V16
Flare - V16
Easy Refineries - V16

chaseydog
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by chaseydog »

I've barely hit the midway point on my first playthrough but the only mods I'd consider must have are
- long reach, though I may replace that with double reach
- larger inventories
- RSO

I'm just reaching the point where I need to start thinking about rail and logistics networks so my must have list is likely to grow to match some more of the mods posted here

Not a must have, but a happy it's been ported to .13 is WiaTex, I've got a 4K monitor and using had textures adds to the look and feel

5thHorseman
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by 5thHorseman »

Nexela wrote:#5 AutoTrash - Makes managing your inventory and logi requests so much easier!
This is my #1 and so far only must have mod. I don't understand why the game doesn't work like this. The first time I dragged something to my trash slots (it was probably logs) I was surprised to find the bots only took the ones that went in the slot, and not all of them from my inventory.

Return to “General discussion”