Bob's Mod Graphics Update Discussion

Some mods, made by Bob. Basically streaks every Factroio-area.

Moderator: bobingabout

Aonova
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Bob's Mod Graphics Update Discussion

Post by Aonova »

I've been wanting to get this off my chest for a while
//DISCLAIMER: Bob does an awesome job on his mods and I wont judge his usage of graphics as I understand they are placeholders in nature, kind of like the early Factorio hot rod. I only propose this discussion in hopes of augmenting the mods, providing a framework for a visual re-mastery

Problem

Some have been voicing concern on the state of graphics used in bobs mod overall. It is true that scaled-down stock images and MS Paint icons represent poorly what is otherwise a very polished and vibrant mod. This is a serious deal-breaker for some newcomers to the mod, even myself included originally. Problems in the graphics of items are most noticeable, generally due to a mismatch in art-style from the vanilla game, be it due to icons which are too simple or too realistic.
Examples of serious offenders

Discussion

Aesthetics is a matter of personal tastes. That being said, attempting to follow a visual standard will provide objective improvements.

I suggest the following rubric as a starting point:
  • As much as possible, conform to the art style of the core game. (e.g. If items have generics in the core game, make chroma/shading/highlight variations)
  • Standardize icon resolutions according to core game (Im looking at you pixelated technologies)
  • Standardize new item types visuals, creating chroma/shading/highlight variations for distinctness (e.g. like how pipes and belts are, except for everything (powders, ingots/plates, ammo, etc))
  • Maintain visual distinctness between items (visual user-friendliness for item recognition)
  • Consider visual occurrence of icons (e.g. avoiding abstract representations of items which would reasonably be on transport belts)
  • User-friendliness > Realism (e.g. color coding distinct metals despite all of them being grey)
  • Icons must be either modifications of core game icons or entirely hand created pixel-art to fit core game art-style (and modifications thereof); avoid resized stock images
That's all fine and dandy, however the problem still stands: Bob-sensei sadly has no dedicated graphics provider as far as I know. As such, he will continue to be forced to use crude placeholder graphics for his mods whenever he comes out with new items. However, if the mod users and community chip in, we can surely fill that gap and make standardized graphics to slowly visually remaster Bobs mod. That is the core aim of this thread: to be a vehicle to discuss and provide graphics. I hope bob is not against the idea.

What can we do?
  • All manner of discussion regarding visuals for items in bob's mods
  • Establishing visual standards for items and materials
  • Proposing graphic templates for items (can attach psd/png files)
  • Links to graphic resources (be as specific as possible and make sure it is free to use)
  • Ultimately posting replacement graphics for Bob-sensei to pick at his convenience for future updates. (post in a easy format for browsing: see my example below)
Don't be afraid of posting graphics even if someone else posted the same item. The variance gives a wider pool for bob to choose from if he wants to update his mods, and furthermore any users can download and use specific icons of their preference.

Submission
My submission
Anyways, you don't need to follow that exact format, it's just an idea. Note that my image files have the exact corresponding file name of the mod for easy drag-and-drop and overwrite implementation. Previews are also helpful for comparison (when resizing graphics to look nicer in preview images I'd recommend doubling the size, keeping aspect ratio obviously, using the "Nearest Neighbor" resize algorithm.)

Closing

DOWNLOAD LINK to graphics patch mod of my latest graphics, which you can use to try out all of my graphics while waiting for/seeing if the graphics in the core mods get revamped. Also, bob you can use it to see if you like them ;)

Well there you have it folks. Even if nobody makes new graphics, the thread will still be there for discussion, and I'll occasionally post new graphics as well. I'm sure everyone will benefit.
Last edited by Aonova on Wed Jul 13, 2016 2:41 am, edited 2 times in total.

Aonova
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: Bob's Mod Graphics Update Discussion

Post by Aonova »

Anyone think this thread is worth stickying?

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Looking at the examples you posted...
Electronics: Okay, I admit, they don't fit the current style, but they did fit the style of the game when they were created.
in electronic intermediates, are real photos shrunk down.
Ammos, most are real photos, the only one that isn't is the rocket, which is an edited version of the base game rocket that existed at the time.
other intermediates. first 2, alumina, and resin are photos, the ballbearing is also a photo, I mean, it's a ball, how much better can you get?
Glass... I think was actually taken from DyTech, the gear was a google search result for an icon, and the blue beam is again, recoloured from base game.

I can agree that some of those icons need an update, but not all.

For those you've sugested, well, that CPU of mine is a photo of an AMD athlon with the writing on it blurred out. I've actually been considering using the advanced electronics 2 technology icon scaled down as the CPU icon.

As for the boards, they're not a bad job of livening up my own, though the white circuit, those black components in the bottom right corner look like small chips, they're suppose to be transistors, a minor niggle.

untill I saw these, I was considering using these by arch666angel
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

Arch666Angel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Arch666Angel »

Those circuit boards look really nice in double resolution, but as always in factorio in 32x32 and ingame you wont see any details, which they would allow for 64x64 icons ingame.

As for icons: I decided against trying to emulate real life metal shine because they are basically all all the same metal grey colour. So I ran with keeping the ores colour for the metals and plates as well, which has a bit more consistency, which is a joke to say considering the chaos factorio provides :P
Also it's real hard to find anything matching if you dont have awesome photoshop or pixelart skills. You are very limited in creating icons, when you have to rely on web sources, ran into that myself before starting to create my icons by using C4D and render them.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Arch666Angel wrote:Those circuit boards look really nice in double resolution, but as always in factorio in 32x32 and ingame you wont see any details, which they would allow for 64x64 icons ingame.

As for icons: I decided against trying to emulate real life metal shine because they are basically all all the same metal grey colour. So I ran with keeping the ores colour for the metals and plates as well, which has a bit more consistency, which is a joke to say considering the chaos factorio provides :P
Also it's real hard to find anything matching if you dont have awesome photoshop or pixelart skills. You are very limited in creating icons, when you have to rely on web sources, ran into that myself before starting to create my icons by using C4D and render them.
well, they are planning a high (double) resolution mode for most things. they've added a few in already, most notable recent one being underground indicator graphics, as used on the underground belt and underground pipe.
I also have a Patreon.

Arch666Angel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Arch666Angel »

bobingabout wrote:
Arch666Angel wrote:Those circuit boards look really nice in double resolution, but as always in factorio in 32x32 and ingame you wont see any details, which they would allow for 64x64 icons ingame.

well, they are planning a high (double) resolution mode for most things. they've added a few in already, most notable recent one being underground indicator graphics, as used on the underground belt and underground pipe.
Which look worse than the old ones :P

Aonova
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Aonova »

bobingabout wrote:Looking at the examples you posted...
Electronics: Okay, I admit, they don't fit the current style, but they did fit the style of the game when they were created.
in electronic intermediates, are real photos shrunk down.
Ammos, most are real photos, the only one that isn't is the rocket, which is an edited version of the base game rocket that existed at the time.
other intermediates. first 2, alumina, and resin are photos, the ballbearing is also a photo, I mean, it's a ball, how much better can you get?
Glass... I think was actually taken from DyTech, the gear was a google search result for an icon, and the blue beam is again, recoloured from base game.
Yep, as Factorio evolved to have the standardized graphics it has today, the hope is to allow your mods to do the same: to minimize the visual discord to new comers like myself, and to provide options for individual user's own aesthetic preferences.

Within the next week, I plan to post icons to attempt to standardize the plates and intermediates in MCI with the corresponding in the core game. I originally started to replace all the resized photos on my local files with standardized custom made icons. I might as well upload those when I'm done for the sake of anyone with my OCD :)
bobingabout wrote:As for the boards, they're not a bad job of livening up my own, though the white circuit, those black components in the bottom right corner look like small chips, they're suppose to be transistors, a minor niggle.
Ah thank you, I fixed it to look more transistor-like. 1024 pixels are not much to work with :D
bobingabout wrote: untill I saw these, I was considering using these by arch666angel
Those really fit the Factorio style. Are they in the Angels mod? If they are organized for bobs mod, a link to the source icons would be awesome for whoever wants them.

By the ways, is there any communication with the author of Shinebobs/Extra Chests? He pretty much addresses my qualms with Bobs Warfare completely, along with much other work on the graphics department. Some first party endorsement could go a long way to revamping the graphics of bobs mod.

Arch666Angel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Arch666Angel »

Aonova wrote:Those really fit the Factorio style. Are they in the Angels mod? If they are organized for bobs mod, a link to the source icons would be awesome for whoever wants them.
No these were made just for bobs, I haven't progressed so far to have an electronics mod (yet). :twisted:
Attachments
circuit-1.png
circuit-1.png (27.99 KiB) Viewed 23401 times

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Something like that would make a good icon for Advanced Electronics 3 research. Mind if I use it?
I also have a Patreon.

Arch666Angel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Arch666Angel »

This might end up as an icon in one of my mods, but yes you can use it for a tech icon if you want :)

Edit: yeah ok mine will have a slightly different color scheme

Aonova
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Aonova »

Graphics for Bob's Electronics
files
preview
Made graphics to replace all the photos and attempted to standardize stuff to my own preferences :P

Link

Welp, this along with the circuit graphics from earlier is all of bobelectronics. I'll prolly start on MCI next.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Solder plate looks like a recolour of what I have for Cobalt/Gold. I have a 128x128 file of that, so, if I were to use this, I'd probably recolour what I already have myself.
I don't really like the rubber icon... I can't put my finger on why exactly.
And the Ferric Chloride and coal cracking icons.... I'm not sure about, the ones I used were recolours or remakes with similar style to what was already in the game, so I feel to move away from that would be a step backwards, not forwards. they do look cool though. the peice of coal picture used is from an older version of the game if I recall.

The rest I might use when I do a graphics update. I can't promice when, I'm working on other things right now. I am saving them all in a safe place so I can go through them at a later date.
I also have a Patreon.

Aonova
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Aonova »

bobingabout wrote:Solder plate looks like a recolour of what I have for Cobalt/Gold. I have a 128x128 file of that, so, if I were to use this, I'd probably recolour what I already have myself.
Well, that is where I got the base from :)
bobingabout wrote:I don't really like the rubber icon... I can't put my finger on why exactly.
Fair enough, it is just a solid block of grey drawn in photoshop ;) . I mostly just made something quick for my local game that didn't have the white artifacts like the photo of rubber did, so it fits slightly better. I had an early version which looked like this:
Rubber
bobingabout wrote:And the Ferric Chloride and coal cracking icons.... I'm not sure about, the ones I used were recolours or remakes with similar style to what was already in the game, so I feel to move away from that would be a step backwards, not forwards.
That's true, the originals fit the base game perfectly. I was just inspired by Angels mod (I think refining?) which had nice gradiental abstract icons for its fluids. Mostly for personal preference on that part, and I plan to standardize the style whenever I get around to all your fluids and gases for whoever has my aesthetic preferences and wants it, I didn't really expect you to pick it up :D
bobingabout wrote:The rest I might use when I do a graphics update. I can't promice when, I'm working on other things right now. I am saving them all in a safe place so I can go through them at a later date.
Take your time, and concentrate on what matters to you. As always, thanks you for your awesome mod that inspired me to get off my ass and do something haha.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Aonova wrote:Image
Does that look better?
Not really x3

Though to be honest, both sort of look better than what I'm already using.
I also have a Patreon.

DOSorDIE
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by DOSorDIE »

Please be sure that people with a little colorblind has no problem to see clearly a different.
Thanks.
I find the most icons are great and easy to distinguish.
But the Wood and Electronic Boards & Co need a little update.

Aonova
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Aonova »

For anyone who wishes to try out my updated graphics in game, I'll have a lightweight graphics patch mod updated with all of my new graphics linked on the OP. I'll update the patch upon creating any new graphics. If bob decides not to pick up some graphics that someone personally likes, they can use my patch as a more permanent solution. Heres the first version of it.
Attachments
bm-gfxpatch_0.0.1.zip
Just drop it in your mods folder
(100.11 KiB) Downloaded 219 times

Aonova
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Aonova »

Graphics Update: MCI - Lithium
lithium-processing.png
lithium-processing.png (66.85 KiB) Viewed 22841 times
This is my first step to standardizing the MCI graphics (fluids/plates/chemicals/powders/techs/ect). Begone ugly red "Li"! :twisted:
crappy jpeg preview
descrption
Source icons link

I updated my graphics patch too (on the OP), so one could quickly try them out :)

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Since I have the source files, it might be better if I created icons like Void Lithia Water myself....... not that you can currently void it anyway. (though if you really did want a high quality void icon to add lithia water to, you could just use the one from the research icon, that's 128x128!)

My only real issue with the lithia water icon... is that it might look a little too much like regular water... but it's still probably better than simply putting the chemical symbol in red text on top of it.

once again, saved to my new icons folder to look at maybe doing something with them later.
I also have a Patreon.

Aonova
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Aonova »

Awesome :) (btw If you do decide to do something with these icons, I recommend just checking out my graphics patch mod on the original post at that time. It will be the most updated and concisely organized compilation of all my icons, along with their implementation code-wise (resizing tech icons, etc). No need to trouble yourself keeping local copies ;))

Anywho, do you know where I could find the high-res version of the cobalt plate icon? I remember you mentioning it earlier. I plan to do cobalt next (ultimately the whole chemistry tech chain) and would like to use that while making the tech icon if possible. Thanks :D

Kane
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Kane »

No talent here. But I'm all for new icons/tiles. Overall Bob's is a good mod just really breaks immersion for me because of how random and how ms paintish the mod can get at times.

Return to “Bob's mods”