[0.13.6] Multiplayer - Fire Weapon Stutter

Bugs that are actually features.
Watsong
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

[0.13.6] Multiplayer - Fire Weapon Stutter

Post by Watsong »

Single Player Behaviour:
1. Press the space bar during play, in order to fire your currently selected weapon.
2. Observe that the game does not stutter.

Multiplayer Behaviour with only 1 player connected:
1. Start a new multiplayer game and set the latency to a high value (e.g. 1000ms).
2. Press the space bar during play, in order to fire your currently selected weapon.
3. Observe that the game stutters hugely with the player character teleporting and rubber banding.
4. Start a new multiplayer game and set the latency to the lowest value (33ms).
5. Press the space bar during play, in order to fire your currently selected weapon.
6. Observe that the game stutters slightly.

This also applies when more than one player is connected to a multiplayer game - but is not a determining factor.

Suggested quick fix: Allow setting of multiplayer latency to any value, (32ms - 1ms). This may allow stutter free LAN and low latency Internet play.

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [0.13.6] Multiplayer - Fire Weapon Stutter

Post by Klonan »

Thank you for the report,
And welcome to the forum :)

We've known about this for some time, its a consequence of the latency hiding we use in game,
We may work on a way to correct it in the future, but for now we will focus on some more major bugs, while we brainstorm ways of resolving this

Watsong
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Watsong »

Thank you for your extremely quick response.

I haven't played the game much, but I have observed that gun turrets don't cause game stutter when firing. I also noted that the research tree mentions automated weapons that can be fitted to armour. Would it also be the case that these auto firing weapons don't cause game stutter? If that is the case - perhaps a quick fix would be to have a game option to toggle whether the player's primary weapons will also auto fire at any enemy in range. This would alleviate the need to press the space bar - which triggers game stutter only once per press, and not during sustained weapons fire. In fact, the space bar could then become a hold fire/fire at will toggle.

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Loewchen »

Watsong wrote:I haven't played the game much, but I have observed that gun turrets don't cause game stutter when firing.
Them attacking is triggered by the simulation itself and therefore does not have to be shared with the peers.

Return to “Not a bug”