[0.13] Mod Launcher

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

ZentZz
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

[0.13] Mod Launcher

Post by ZentZz »

A mod launcher to be able to run different "mod packs" or versions of factorio without having to change the mods folder etc. Very helpful to content creators that has more than one series going at the same time. Even for normal solo players that wants to change things up once in awhile by just playing with some "cool" mods but then avoid it because it takes time and is not the easiest to go back and forth between the different saves. (Modded - > Vanilla - > Modded)

- Like the FTB launcher for Minecraft

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: [0.13] Mod Launcher

Post by ssilk »

Added to viewtopic.php?f=80&t=27805 Suggestion around Game-Internal Mod-Handling/Mod-Management
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Ghoulish
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Ghoulish »

If you use a zip package of factorio ie. rather than an installation of factorio, you can do just this, have as many combinations of mods or game versions as you wish.
See the daily™ struggles with my Factory! :D https://www.twitch.tv/repetitivebeats

BlackKnight
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by BlackKnight »

Although a formal interface would be nice, they may also be drawbacks

Currently there are a few options you can implement manually to configure which mods are used pre-launch. I can imagine a number of people out there already use at least one of these options.

As already recommended, You can install the archived (non-install) version of the game (via factorio.com). You would then duplicate the root folder for multiple setups and start the game using each folders execute (within /factorio/bin/64x/)
- Upsides: is that it would be easy enough to implement, each copy would have its own settings and folder for save games/mods, you could also manual edit the modlist if you wanted more configurability
- Downsides: If using the alpha and want to always keep up to date, the often daily updates on each copy of the game might become a little annoying.

If you wanted more variation to customize the modlist yourself pre launch. Manually editing the mod-list.json and switching "enabled": "true" or "enabled": "false" might be the best bet (could be combined with above solution as well) -- though disabled mods and incompatible savegames would still be visible ingame.

Personally, I initially created a batch script to switch between two versions of a mod-list.json since my steam version 0.12 and the 0.13 alpha version install package of the game (because both installs used the same settings and savegame/mods folders). I was then introduced to the archive (non install) version of factorio which made it possible to have two (or more) clean setup folders with their own savegames/mods etc folders. This two setup variation is what I use now for the purpose of testing mods/0.13-features in one and having a reliable setup in my other account to continue save games which require older mods... and which I think is a perfect balance and exactly what I wanted.

Optera
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Optera »

I made a batch script switching out the whole mod folder so i can run different versions of mods for testing.
Having profiles to do that from a game launcher would be comfortable. Mod installing, updating, en/disabling should also happen in the launcher so we don't restart the game just for updates.

wonay
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by wonay »

What is the status of this ?

Switching different multiplayer game with different mod combination is really tedious.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”