No oil!

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
Bluelight
Inserter
Inserter

No oil!

Post by Bluelight »

Tutorial on how to play the game is great, but when you are 9 hours into a great multiplayer game and then you suddenly find out that there is not a single oil spot on the whole map.. It does not help very much... Tutorial or no tutorial.. They don't magically spawn oilspots.. I do not want to start all over, and the level editor is not a good choice.. Are the Factorio development team this sloppy? Do they never test their game before an update.. And why is the update so late? Please get together and do proper work..! :-(
Bluelight

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: No oil!

Post by Koub »

can you post your map string, and tell us what version you started the game with please ?
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

British_Petroleum
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by British_Petroleum »

The devs did play test 0.13, and there has been a lot of 0.13 bug reports from players, but nobody has had this problem... devs can't fix a problem if they dont know it exists. I am interested to see the map string

Nexela
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Nexela »

Also 0.13 is marked as experimental for a reason....

TheSkiGeek
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by TheSkiGeek »

Resource generation is random - this means there can sometimes be huge stretches of the map with little or none of any specific resource. Especially if you lowered the frequency of resource patches. This is not really a bug, and definitely not a case of inadequate testing. (Also worth noting that in 0.13, resource patches are richer the further you are from the spawn. So if you have to go a long way to find oil, you should get a lot of it when it does turn up.)

Also, the map is infinite, unless you deliberately limited its size. The map generation and gameplay in vanilla are not balanced for a limited-size map - you might want to look at various "infinite resources" mods for that.

If you don't like the randomness, the RSO (Resource Spawner Overhaul) mod guarantees you some of every resource in the starting area (among other changes), and you can also extensively tweak its behavior.

If you're really stuck in your current game, there are also console commands that can spawn resources wherever you want.

Zaz
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Zaz »

The same thing happened to me. I've walked around in peaceful mode and haven't seen a single oil.

I'm using .13.6, and the map was started in that version. Map string:

Code: Select all

>>>AAANAAYAAAADAwYAAAAEAAAAY29hbAIDBAoAAABjb3BwZXItb3Jl
AgMECQAAAGNydWRlLW9pbAEDBQoAAABlbmVteS1iYXNlAwMDCAAAAGl
yb24tb3JlAgMEBQAAAHN0b25lAgMEratgugAAAAAAAAAAAwBs6pre<<
<

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

Zaz wrote:The same thing happened to me. I've walked around in peaceful mode and haven't seen a single oil.

<
I downloaded the 0.13.6 and started a new game with your settings

This, my friend, is a very low oil frequency :
Map settings
And this means that you will have very very few oil patches (but you'll get some eventually). I face force-explored with a console commandan area of 2048x2048 around the spawn point, and got this :
Oil patches on your map
You can't tell there is no oil unless you have explored far enough to get to the edge of the map in all directions, and indeed found no oil :)
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

TN_Creator
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by TN_Creator »

Wow, this "very low" setting is not kidding.

brunzenstein
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by brunzenstein »

TN_Creator wrote:Wow, this "very low" setting is not kidding.
But its ok and works according to the book.
Anyhow, I find the critique on the map creation largely overblown, especially as there is a free map creator on board for the "experts".

brunzenstein
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by brunzenstein »

brunzenstein wrote:
TN_Creator wrote:Wow, this "very low" setting is not kidding.
But its ok and works according to the book.
Anyhow, I find the critique on the map creation largely overblown, especially as there is a free map creator on board for the unhappy "experts".

Ranakastrasz
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Ranakastrasz »

I thought low frequency also made patches larger. Is that not the case? (Anymore?)
It was one of those things that seemed odd unless you considered it like a radio wave frequency.
My Mods:
Modular Armor Revamp - V16
Large Chests - V16
Agent Orange - V16
Flare - V16
Easy Refineries - V16

TheSkiGeek
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by TheSkiGeek »

Ranakastrasz wrote:I thought low frequency also made patches larger. Is that not the case? (Anymore?)
It was one of those things that seemed odd unless you considered it like a radio wave frequency.
In theory, yes, there should be the same total amount of resources per area. But you might have to go REALLY REALLY REALLY FAR to find it.

"Frequency" affects how often you find patches of that resource. Lower frequency should mean less frequent (but bigger) patches, higher frequency should mean more frequent (but smaller) patches.

"Size" affects how many squares each patch contains. "Low" size means fewer squares with more resources/square, "High" means more squares with fewer resources/square.

"Richness" directly affects the amount of resources/square.

Edit: the wiki page linked below seems to indicate that "size" might affect total resources found per area, but "frequency" should not. "richness" definitely does.
Last edited by TheSkiGeek on Thu Jul 14, 2016 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ranakastrasz
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Ranakastrasz »

Thing is, if that were the case, you would expect to almost never see a single patch of oil. No, with low frequency, you should get something like 10+ patches of oil, at least, but pretty much never find another area with it.
My Mods:
Modular Armor Revamp - V16
Large Chests - V16
Agent Orange - V16
Flare - V16
Easy Refineries - V16

Zaz
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Zaz »

Koub wrote:
Zaz wrote:The same thing happened to me. I've walked around in peaceful mode and haven't seen a single oil.

<
I downloaded the 0.13.6 and started a new game with your settings

This, my friend, is a very low oil frequency :
Map settings
And this means that you will have very very few oil patches (but you'll get some eventually). I face force-explored with a console commandan area of 2048x2048 around the spawn point, and got this :
Oil patches on your map
You can't tell there is no oil unless you have explored far enough to get to the edge of the map in all directions, and indeed found no oil :)
Thanks for the reply, and for taking a look.

I remember setting the resources all to low, but I guess I had forgotten that I set oil to very low.

Yeah, it turns out "very low" means extremely rare and very hard to find. Major surprise, there.

Harkonnen604
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Harkonnen604 »

Map generator frequency is explained here https://wiki.factorio.com/index.php?tit ... _generator

Return to “Gameplay Help”