User Rank

Discussions related to the forums itself. Call for moderators. Trash Posts area.
Bart
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: User Rank

Post by Bart »

daniel34 wrote:I am of the same opinion as DaveMcW, possibly also using the robot one or other Factorio entities:
DaveMcW wrote:I would just remove it and renumber everything else.

0 - 4: Manual Inserter
5 - 19: Burner Inserter
20 - 79: Inserter
80 - 299: Long Handed Inserter
300 - 999: Fast Inserter
1000+: Smart Inserter
Colored username, rank text and post count: absolutely essential (also maybe adding different colored username for Factorio staff)
Rank image: not absolutely required, but I still would very much like it
Joined date and location: very useful for moderating spambots, also easy to see what language(s) a user might speak
Avatar: I don't care much about that, but other users probably do (maybe resizing?)
Why is a rank text absolutely essential? If you have a special function on the forum a tag would be a good idea (administrator/developer/moderator), but how's a rank (smart inserter/filter inserter) essential?
I have the cape.
I make the fucking whoosh noises.

Bart
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Bart »

Look at this for example:

This in the largest forum in the Netherlands (fok.nl), not to brag but to give you an idea: started in 1999, since then 450.000+ registered users and 150.000.000+ posts. I'm a moderator there for several years now ;).

No ranks, no rank pictures, no postcount you can see. You can see a postcount if you open a user profile. However, we do have a special moderator function that displays a red flag in posts from users less than three days old, to spot spammers and clones from banned users easily.

Moderators and other people that have an official function do have a tag that explains what they do (admin/developer/designer/news redaction/public relations/moderator/et cetera). They also have different colors (admin red, moderator blue, public relations dark blue et cetera). Everybody can see the information he or she needs :).

I'm happy to discuss or share information/experience if you like :).
I have the cape.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Hm. That opinion doesn't convince me, cause that forum has a completely different kind of users, than this. I see that rank as something, which bring an important game element into the forum. And as a running gag.
And as said: It can be turned off https://forums.factorio.com/forum/ucp ... &mode=view

I'm thinking to make a poll about this, but there is no need to hurry about this.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Bart
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Bart »

ssilk wrote:Hm. That opinion doesn't convince me, cause that forum has a completely different kind of users, than this. I see that rank as something, which bring an important game element into the forum. And as a running gag.
And as said: It can be turned off https://forums.factorio.com/forum/ucp ... &mode=view

I'm thinking to make a poll about this, but there is no need to hurry about this.
Which setting on that page disables the rank titles and pictures? :D

The public on fok.nl is wider in interest, but the public in the games section is comparable. I get that it might be fun to have ranks, but it also might be interpreted as 'I have more posts so I am better/more important/...'. It enables people to discriminate. To me we're all equal, and postcount doesn't matter at all, so it shouldn't be ranked. At least not that obvious. On fok.nl there's a top 500 page, http://forum.fok.nl/user/list_usertotals, there people can see the top posters. But that's a large list. It is not very visible.

Interesting discussion though :).
I have the cape.

daniel34
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by daniel34 »

Bart wrote:
daniel34 wrote:Colored username, rank text and post count: absolutely essential (also maybe adding different colored username for Factorio staff)
Why is a rank text absolutely essential? If you have a special function on the forum a tag would be a good idea (administrator/developer/moderator), but how's a rank (smart inserter/filter inserter) essential?
Bart wrote:I get that it might be fun to have ranks, but it also might be interpreted as 'I have more posts so I am better/more important/...'. It enables people to discriminate. To me we're all equal, and postcount doesn't matter at all, so it shouldn't be ranked. At least not that obvious.
I should have been more specific. With rank text I actually did mean special ranks like mod or staff. Although I don't think we've ever had a case where a user was discriminated for his post count or rank (... inserter), so I don't think it's an issue here. When I was a standard user I didn't care about these ranks and most other users won't either.
Also this:
Zhab wrote:You can argue that colored name is enough for that however color blind people would beg to differ.
quick links: log file | graphical issues | wiki

Kayanor
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Kayanor »

Well let's bump this.
daniel34 wrote:Image 250 - 999: Filter Inserter
Image 1000+: Smart Inserter
Image With the new 0.13 update the stack inserter took over the smart inserter's look. The rank would only need a rename to "Stack Inserter" to fit again.
Image A bit more complicated would be the implementation of the new stack filter inserter. A new rank called "Stack Filter Inserter" needs to be added with the image I attached to the paragraph's beginning, and a higher post count than Stack Inserter, maybe 2500. We should discuss this first.

On the other hand we no longer need to discuss how to give up the Filter Inserter rank because the filter inserter got back in the game! :D
Former moderator.

steinio
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by steinio »

On the other hand we no longer need to discuss how to give up the Filter Inserter rank because the filter inserter got back in the game! :D
That's probably the main reason for its return.

Transport Belt Repair Man

View unread Posts

bigyihsuan
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by bigyihsuan »

Kajanor wrote:Well let's bump this.
daniel34 wrote:Image 250 - 999: Filter Inserter
Image 1000+: Smart Inserter
Image With the new 0.13 update the stack inserter took over the smart inserter's look. The rank would only need a rename to "Stack Inserter" to fit again.
Image A bit more complicated would be the implementation of the new stack filter inserter. A new rank called "Stack Filter Inserter" needs to be added with the image I attached to the paragraph's beginning, and a higher post count than Stack Inserter, maybe 2500. We should discuss this first.

Yup. I wonder who has 2500+ posts on the forum.

Phillip_Lynx
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Phillip_Lynx »

bigyihsuan wrote:... I wonder who has 2500+ posts on the forum.

Quick search in the Memberlist :

ssilk : 7672
kovarex : 5398
bobingabout : 2674

bigyihsuan
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by bigyihsuan »

Phillip_Lynx wrote:

Out of those three, only one is able to it.

Interesting.

Kayanor
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Kayanor »

bigyihsuan wrote:
Phillip_Lynx wrote:

Out of those three, only one is able to it.

Interesting.
Long-term goal. :D
Former moderator.

DaveMcW
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by DaveMcW »

I ran a calculation on the distribution of posts among the ranks.

Manual Inserter 8.4%
Burner Inserter 13.3%
Inserter 10.4%
Long Handed Inserter 9.5%
Fast Inserter 13.4%
Filter Inserter 20.9%
Smart Inserter 8.1%
Moderator 8.2%
Factorio Staff 7.8%

Filter inserter is heavily over-represented. A post is roughly twice as likely to be made by someone with Filter Inserter rank than any other rank.

If we add another inserter rank and exclude Staff, Moderators, and Newbies, we get the following optimal distribution:

Burner Inserter 5-15
Inserter 16-42
Long Handed Inserter 43-105
Fast Inserter 106-206
Filter Inserter 207-427
Stack Inserter 428-799
Stack Filter Inserter 800+

Dataset used in the analysis:
Forum Members 2016-07-07.csv
(763.28 KiB) Downloaded 131 times

ghostdude00
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by ghostdude00 »

well smart inserters no longer exist so.... :D

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Huh... bobingabout 's catching up ... need ... more ... posts ...
:D
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Fatpony
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Fatpony »

TY for the information. Was very helpful!

kinnom
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by kinnom »

any news about the new ranks?
no yes yes no yes no yes yes

Return to “This Forum”