[0.13.4][Twinsen] Strange inserter behavior on burner-assembler

This subforum contains all the issues which we already resolved.
Fatmice
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

[0.13.4][Twinsen] Strange inserter behavior on burner-assembler

Post by Fatmice »

In 12.35, inserters will always fuel burner-assembler (assembler where energy_source = burner) when at least one fuel is spent, which is how they fueled boilers or furnaces. Currently, inserters can forget that an entity near them need fuel if the output is not empty, in the case of items, or lower than half-full with fluid, in the case of fluidbox.

Here, I made a toy mod and savegame to show this strange behavior. The savegame has several setups to show the errant behavior that did not exist in 12.35. The middle upper assembler will eventually run out of fuel and never get refueled. The left-upper assembler will run out of fuel and only gets refueled when the output is at 0 or 1 item. The two lower setups are examples of tricks to bypass or at least make the errant behavior more obvious. The left bottom assembler is attached to a steam-generator that eat 10 fluid/tick. At this rate the output fluidbox will never fill more than half of its defined base so the assembler is constantly crafting, which seems to remind the insert to give it fuel. The right bottom assembler has an item+fluid for input. Since the item is always used up on each craft, this seems to refresh the memory of nearby inserters such that the inserter responsible for putting in fuel will always put in fuel.

The mod is 12.35 compatible, just change the info.json to reflect base game version. The savegame is 13.4 only, but the setup can easily be blueprinted and built in 12.35 for testing.
Toy-mod + savegame

Edit: I've attached a 12.35 savegame with "expected" behavior.
Burner-assembler.zip
(725.46 KiB) Downloaded 141 times
Last edited by Fatmice on Mon Jul 04, 2016 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Maintainer and developer of Atomic Power. See here for more information.
Current release: 0.6.6 - Requires 0.14.x
Example build - Requires 0.14.x

kinnom
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [0.13.4] Strange inserter behavior on burner-assembler

Post by kinnom »

I've reproduced this on both of my computers
no yes yes no yes no yes yes

Fatmice
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Fatmice »

This behavior change was first brought to my attention by Yuoki. You can find more discussion of it starting here.
viewtopic.php?f=70&t=12216&start=100

Strangely, this behavior does not affect boilers or burner-furnaces, at least not in the same manner that I am awared of, which is maybe for the best as there might have been a lot of hue and cry.
Maintainer and developer of Atomic Power. See here for more information.
Current release: 0.6.6 - Requires 0.14.x
Example build - Requires 0.14.x

kinnom
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by kinnom »

found out that this issue was also present pre-0.10.3 viewtopic.php?f=11&t=4843&hilit=burner
no yes yes no yes no yes yes

Twinsen
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [0.13.4][Twinsen] Strange inserter behavior on burner-assembler

Post by Twinsen »

Fixed in Version: 0.13.8

Return to “Resolved Problems and Bugs”