Chaining wires for 0.13

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
provet
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Chaining wires for 0.13

Post by provet »

brunzenstein wrote:(...)The change in the GUI does not allow anymore to connect one item after the other in a row without deselecting the wire first with Q every time you click a new item.
The wire otherwise stubborn stays connected to the entry point e.g. you first item one clicked - at the first item connected.
If thats not a bug but a feature, that feature is a bug.
Hi Y'all!

I just found out that (thx to brunzenstein, and then by testing) That chaining wires Image isn't working anymore. Not sure if feature or bug, but I'd like it to be a bug if it isn't. But! Instead of fixing this by just reverting, I'd like to request that holding shift, makes it going back to normal chainingImage

This could even be just an optional feature (disabled/enabled in options) But please make it come back!

brunzenstein
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Chaining wires for 0.13

Post by brunzenstein »

provet wrote:Instead of fixing this by just reverting, I'd like to request that holding shift, makes it going back to normal chainingImage

This could even be just an optional feature (disabled/enabled in options) But please make it come back!
I dont see any benefit even if thats a option, or that the newly introduced change may be attractive to anybody - therefore please developers:
Make us all happy and simply go back to (see above) where it was. And everybody is happily moving on
Last edited by brunzenstein on Sun Jul 03, 2016 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Before that I want to hear the reasons, why they changed it, cause they must have had reasons.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

brunzenstein
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by brunzenstein »

ssilk wrote:Before that I want to hear the reasons, why they changed it, cause they must have had reasons.
It must be a damned good reason to convince me - so lets see the cards

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Perhaps the reason was "We didn't have time" :) . But that would explain all.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

stellatedHex
Inserter
Inserter

Post by stellatedHex »

Everyone (in this thread so far) seems to agree that wire chaining should return, including me.
It'd be cool if wire chaining was the default, but holding shift had the origin point not move, and if holding shift while disconnecting a wire allowed chain disconnects.
stellatedHexahedron wrote:I'm the kind of person who makes Conway's Game of Life in Factorio, but forgets what they are doing halfway through typing their username.

XKnight
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by XKnight »

stellatedHex wrote:Everyone (in this thread so far) seems to agree that wire chaining should return, including me.
It'd be cool if wire chaining was the default, but holding shift had the origin point not move, and if holding shift while disconnecting a wire allowed chain disconnects.
I think shift is not the best hot key for this new weird behaviour, because shift is already used for copy-paste entity settings and this is very usefull. Thats why new behaviour should use Ctrl or Alt.

brunzenstein
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by brunzenstein »

XKnight wrote:
stellatedHex wrote:Everyone (in this thread so far) seems to agree that wire chaining should return, including me.
I think shift is not the best hot key for this new weird behaviour, because shift is already used for copy-paste entity settings and this is very usefull. Thats why new behaviour should use Ctrl or Alt.
Could be a key code free to be set by the user in the setup menu

Neotix
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Neotix »

I think it's not a bug or "we didn't have time" explanation because wiring poles was not changed. I think that they just make bad decision.

Mr. Tact
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Mr. Tact »

Has it been reported as a bug?
Professional Curmudgeon since 1988.

Neotix
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Neotix »

As bug no, but I make topic in proposition to bring backs old connection method.

brunzenstein
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by brunzenstein »

Mr. Tact wrote:Has it been reported as a bug?
by me - just now
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=28157&p=178212#p178212

Twinsen
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Twinsen »

Poles connect by chaining and entities connect by star. I thought it would be more convenient this way for some setups.
Since there seems to be a strong voice to have chaining everywhere, i'll change it back asap.

No modifier keys

Neotix
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Neotix »

Twinsen wrote:No modifier keys
Please don't erase code. Maybe some day when you will have very good humor, you will decide to give us that option :D

Twinsen
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Twinsen »

Implemented in Version: 0.13.5

Case
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Case »

Twinsen wrote:Poles connect by chaining and entities connect by star. I thought it would be more convenient this way for some setups.
Since there seems to be a strong voice to have chaining everywhere, i'll change it back asap.

No modifier keys
Thanks for changing it back to chaining. Even after rewiring hundreds of my chests I still got not used to the new system. I hope the change does not remove any wires :)

provet
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by provet »

Case wrote:
Twinsen wrote:Poles connect by chaining and entities connect by star. I thought it would be more convenient this way for some setups.

No modifier keys
Thanks for changing it back to chaining. Even after rewiring hundreds of my chests I still got not used to the new system. I hope the change does not remove any wires :)
I don't see how a change in the interface would affect placed entities, so I think you shouldn't have to worry about that! ;)

credomane
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by credomane »

Can we get an option for this? I probably wouldn't have noticed the update to 0.13.5 if it wasn't for this getting reverted. :(

Moosfet
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Moosfet »

credomane wrote:Can we get an option for this? I probably wouldn't have noticed the update to 0.13.5 if it wasn't for this getting reverted. :(
Seriously, I thought it was a new feature, or at least a resolution of an old annoyance, as I always do star topology connecting every item to a pole rather than to each other.

Perhaps a compromise might work:

When connecting two entities, if both entities are not poles, or if both entities are poles, then after the connection is made, the wire in hand is connected to the second entity, otherwise it is connected to whichever one is a pole. This would allow chaining multiple chests together as shown in the OP's image if one merely starts on a chest rather than a pole, and it allows star topology if one merely starts on the pole rather than on a chest/inserter, and of course it allows one to connect wire to a long series of poles.

Mr. Tact
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Mr. Tact »

Moosfet wrote:Seriously, I thought it was a new feature, or at least a resolution of an old annoyance, as I always do star topology connecting every item to a pole rather than to each other.
Inquiring minds want to know -- what are you doing when you do this?
Professional Curmudgeon since 1988.

Return to “General discussion”