Friday Facts #145 - 0.13 experimental is out

Regular reports on Factorio development.
Zeblote
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #145 - 0.13 experimental is out

Post by Zeblote »

brunzenstein wrote:
Zeblote wrote: From a quick google search, apple and steam both take a 30% cut so there is no difference.
True. The difference between not-caring-at-all (whats in the coding) distributors like Valve, Steam or GOG who take really anybody, even shady figures in is, that Apple runs a painstakingly checking before letting any App into their store.
Apple checks in a rigid multi stage very tough investigation every code line in order to find any possible identity fraud, steal, collection of user data or security breaches. They do virtually everything to keep user data and user identity as secure as possible. Encryption is done onboard on every Apple hardware and therefore only in the users hand.
Therefore is Apple the platform where user date is very seldom compromised. Even the government is seldom and only after a court is ordering them in a verdict to give away a bit. The fight every request in court. They don't let every crook in - so not everybody gets into that first class lounge. Thats the true reason so few games are available for the Apple platform. Most of them are simple carnivores produced in first place for collecting user data.

Actually there are only two games on the App store worth criticizing: "Transistor" and "This War of Mine." alla in all is Apple very weak on the game since - for the mentioned reasons. "Factorio", even in the (said) Alpha stage, would be a welcomed entry. Factorio's alpha ís far more stable then many final PC products sold...
Factorio code is probably really high quality, I don't think they would have many problems.

self-same-spot
Inserter
Inserter

Post by self-same-spot »

Last edited by self-same-spot on Thu Nov 24, 2016 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

self-same-spot
Inserter
Inserter

Post by self-same-spot »

Last edited by self-same-spot on Thu Nov 24, 2016 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

brunzenstein
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by brunzenstein »

self-same-spot wrote:
brunzenstein wrote:That means a simple brute-force / Phishing-Mails attack was used e.g. the pure stupidity of the user - that would work on any platform - as beating the owner with a lamp-pole would similar work to squeeze a password to of him
I understand you are a devoted Apple fan, but this is simply not true - practically any remote/cloud service bans you after N attempts at guessing a password, and this number is usually so low it makes bruteforce attack absolutely impossible. Bruteforce in general is only possible if the latency between each password try is minuscule, like in a crypted container on an attacker's machine that needs only a cpu to check password validity.

Of course it was a targeted attack, but the fact that is was possible means there was a huge security hole in the Apple service that allowed the attacker to try a large number of passwords undetected.
No - it turned out it was not a security breach but was far simpler:

People were/are/and will be stupid: They gave/give away their passwords themselves

If you punch in a wrong password a few times into any iPhone the iPhone deletes all its contend and becomes a brick.

brunzenstein
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by brunzenstein »

self-same-spot wrote:See more for example here: http://www.iphonehacks.com/2014/09/appl ... eaked.html

But of course it all doesn't matter that much, because despite what your devotion may tell you there are no perfectly secure services, certainly not among widely used ones, and to me it seems you are overselling Apple's achievements in that area. They excel at PR, I can give you that. :D
2014 your mentioning has long passed and a lot has happened in this field.
Absolut security is a fake anyhow - exists only in taxes, death and gold - and even gold is not so sure

brunzenstein
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by brunzenstein »

self-same-spot wrote:I understand you are a devoted Apple fan
Name me another company in that field that has resisted the government 2015 giving away customers content of an single iPhone (allegedly used in a crime) and bringing that case against the US government (!) to the highest US court - and prevailed.
Apple even announced that they will either close down but not give in in that case.
I find this a attractive approach standing for the user.

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

brunzenstein wrote: Apple checks in a rigid multi stage very tough investigation every code line in order to find any possible identity fraud, steal, collection of user data or security breaches.
I highly doubt that :)

brunzenstein
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by brunzenstein »

kovarex wrote:
brunzenstein wrote: Apple checks in a rigid multi stage very tough investigation every code line in order to find any possible identity fraud, steal, collection of user data or security breaches.
The only way to find out who is right is:
Try to bring Factorio to Apple app store and you will find out yourself the hard way. :D
Let us know how it goes...
I'm beta tester for several Mac developers and know that Apple is very, very strict, As such i have regular to re-test software refused by Apple for (in my view to restrictive sharp) ridiculous user content related reasons

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

brunzenstein wrote:
kovarex wrote:
Try to bring Factorio to Apple app store and you will find out yourself the hard way. :D
I'm beta tester for several Mac developers and know that Apple is very, very strict
Well, but I still highly doubt, that they would check every line out of the 297 136 lines. They probably have some heuristics etc. but they don't check every line for sure.

brunzenstein
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by brunzenstein »

kovarex wrote:
brunzenstein wrote:
kovarex wrote:
I'm beta tester for several Mac developers and know that Apple is very, very strict
Well, but I still highly doubt, that they would check every line out of the 297 136 lines. They probably have some heuristics etc. but they don't check every line for sure.
I'm beta tester for several Mac developers and know that Apple is very, very strict, As such i have regular to re-test software refused by Apple for (in my view to restrictive sharp) ridiculous user content related reasons

brunzenstein
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by brunzenstein »

kovarex wrote:They probably have some heuristics etc. but they don't check every line for sure.
Apple controls this simply by allowing only apps which are developed on Apple certified tools/platforms - I doubt that (highly user configurable) lula would be accepted by them.

DaemosDaen
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by DaemosDaen »

brunzenstein wrote:
kovarex wrote:They probably have some heuristics etc. but they don't check every line for sure.
Apple controls this simply by allowing only apps which are developed on Apple certified tools/platforms - I doubt that (highly user configurable) lula would be accepted by them.
Then why the hell did you even suggest it in the first place?

Zarnoo
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Zarnoo »

Is this the best place to leave feedback ? Decided to give 0.13 a try, and first annoyance was that full-screen mode didn't work. I click the checkbox, but it doesn't do anything. I can maximize.. but it's not the same. Also it asks me to login each time, and doesn't remember my credentials.. a bit annoying.

More feedback fun as I get into it. I love this game :D

Z

DanielCoffey
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by DanielCoffey »

Zarnoo - tick the checkbox then exit the app. Restart and you should have fullscreen.
Caselabs S8 : Intel 4770K 4.5GHz 1.275V / 32Gb 1600 / ASUS 780 Ti 3Gb 1274 boost, 7800 mem / Samsung 840 Pro 256Gb, Samsung 840 Pro 256Gb, Caviar Green 1Tb / Dell U2713H 2560x1440 / Corsair AX860I / APC SMT1000I / Linux Mint 18 Cinnamon 64-bit

brunzenstein
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by brunzenstein »

DaemosDaen wrote:
brunzenstein wrote:
Then why the hell did you even suggest it in the first place?
Because there's always hope

Freak_NL
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Freak_NL »

Congratulations on nearing the full 0.13 release. Looking forward to trying out the new features.

In the blog post a Youtube video is linked (Factorio Rube Goldbergio), but I am getting a copyright nag error message instead of the video. The message is:
This video contains content from WMG. It is restricted from playback on certain sites.
I can watch it on Youtube, but embedding it in the blog post doesn't seem to work. You might want to change that to a plain hyperlink instead.

SHiRKiT
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by SHiRKiT »

... Pirating the game hurts us less than using these sites.
Why on earth you have to pay $20 per transaction fee when someone STOLE something (in this case the credit card)? It's like YOU ARE PAYING for a THIEF! This is just OUTRAGEOUS. As a company owner myself, my card company doesn't charge me when the client does this. BUT, since we sell actual products, we lose the product itself =\

nours77
Inserter
Inserter

Post by nours77 »

hello team factorio, i was waiting for the 0.13 but where is the ship... You turn around, editing what exist again and again... few add than a map menu, the train color, skins but all was old... where is the end you was talk about, disappeared in the meander of steam money ? you want more development time ?

So, for you lan problèm, resently i play a game, fight the dragon and in this game file there is a little soft, a little dedicaced server which manages the player transfer player to player, and the player hosting launch the game and connect itself on this server with server ip. In this way is use ram of pc but don t slowing fatorio itself, i think. I was already talk of it, you don t choose a good way, then what you do that inform, you never listen anythings, then ask for feedback is hypocrisy, you will not listen it (except cosmetic details, play factorio, the sims 4 the plant, Look my nice belt or i want my factory in pink !).

So then team factorio, it was a nice game, but i already play enought, i will go for some thing new, and sorry i will not come back again.
Then bye, if you do another game, see you.

brunzenstein
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by brunzenstein »

nours77 wrote: Then bye, if you do another game, see you.
Presumably speaking for the overwhelming majority of the visitors here your wise decision to move on is highly appreciated.
Please stay with that decision like a man and don't look back :-)

taggedjc
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by taggedjc »

... Pirating the game hurts us less than using these sites.
You mean than using other sites.

Using these sites (the sites that are reliable sources that you specifically mentioned in the previous sentence) isn't going to hurt you more than pirating!

Return to “News”