New board for mod-portal?

Discussions related to the forums itself. Call for moderators. Trash Posts area.
ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

New board for mod-portal?

Post by ssilk »

The new mod-portal is here and as experienced (?) moderator I instinctively wanted to create a new forum-subboard.

But then I thought: Wait, what should they talk about? They now have that mod-portal! There they will surely add some kind of discussion possibilities.
And then I thought: No, the old mods board (it's a mess!) will not be used anymore at some point in future, but modders still need a place to talk about their mods.
Then I thought: No, they already have that place, it's the modding discussion board.
And then I thought: No, that's not the same... there they talk about programming. Not mods.

So time is ripe to make some kind of "cut". But I don't know if this is "really right"....

I hope you understood me: It's about giving modders and users a place to talk about existing mods in the mod-portal. :) I think the forum is the right place to try things out or to anounce new stuff around mods.

My current idea is simple: new board "Contribution / Mods in Mod-Portal" and then we will see. :)

What are your opinons? Will that be useful?

Edit: Another reason to have such a board is for mods, that are only working for 0.13: It would make sense to have the mods now all in the mod-portal, but the modder can create a discussion-thread here and post that link into his mod-description. I would not like to add another "level of mess" :) in the mods-board.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Arch666Angel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: New board for mod-portal?

Post by Arch666Angel »

At least something like the Alpha/WIP section should stay, for mods that are not yet ready to be published or in the testing phase.
Also I like to post some picture updates of what I'm doing with/for the mod inbetween updates and I know some other modders who have this habbit. Dont know where to put this stuff now. The mod portal seems to be the wrong place to discuss development related issues.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

The mod repositories/portals I know of usually give the possibility to post screenshots for each mod, and usually even allow to separate "by the author" and "by the community". I think it's a good idea, I usually like having whatever I need in the same place.
Apart from that, if there is need for more, why not in the "Show your creations" ?

I do agree the alpha/WIP should stay in this forum, as long as it's not considered playable enough to switch to the portal (we all know that some mods will never be considered by their author as finished, so it needs to be playable), in a form that's close to what's existing now, but also the idea/requests for mods, discussion about modding, ... everything that's not about existing mods.

I think we should also have a subforum to talk about the mod portal itself.

And to make things take the right direction, I would suggest, once the mod portal is considered stable and safe, start the "transition towards end" of the mods subforum. This would mean :
- No new mod publishedhere
- Then give one month (or two, don't really care how long, but write a length) to existing mod makers to migrate to the portal, and we would help them by switching the according topics to read only when they tell us they are done.
- Then the remaining should be switched to rean-only, and kept just for archive.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

I've made some changes to the Mod forum, mostly about tidying up the forums, please let me know what you think of the changes

I've said this before, but moving forward i would really like to move away from having any mods hosted on the forum,
It will remain as a place for discussion of mods in general, help and what not, but actual mod hosting and their specific discussions should take place on the mod portal

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

I like the changes you did. :)

I would still like to see a connection between mods and forum - somehow. To holds the community a bit together.
Perhaps like the connection between Guide or Wiki and Forum? Alone for making suggestions to improve it, I think it is worth going this way.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Arch666Angel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Arch666Angel »

The mod portal needs a lot more polish to be ready for hosting discussions, I know it is the very basic implementation of it and that you guys are still working on it, but keeping track of new threads and reports made there for example is a pain in the ass. TLDR Don't rush it, we have time for the forumexit

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

Arch666Angel wrote:The mod portal needs a lot more polish to be ready for hosting discussions, I know it is the very basic implementation of it and that you guys are still working on it, but keeping track of new threads and reports made there for example is a pain in the ass. TLDR Don't rush it, we have time for the forumexit
You managed to post discussion on mod portal?
I tried to add announcement but it wouldn't accept the final post it click in any way.

Fatmice
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Fatmice »

I like my subsection of the forum for my own mod. I'd prefer that it stay that way. I do not host any files of my mod on the forum, but only links to the download. Will I use the mod portal? Maybe...I do not like changes in having to do this or that just to get people to download a mod. Besides, that mod portal can not handle in the influx of people. It died badly the day of the 0.13 release.

To be clear, I do not like changes for the sake of changes. My subsection of the forum was working fine for me and the users of my mods. I never asked for nor wanted a mod portal. If people like to move forward, fine, but leave me be with my subsection of the forum. Thank you.
Maintainer and developer of Atomic Power. See here for more information.
Current release: 0.6.6 - Requires 0.14.x
Example build - Requires 0.14.x

tzombiek
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by tzombiek »

hope im in right topic.

way i cant login in https://mods.factorio.com/ ?
do i have to use there same username and password like on this forum? (i trying to use same) if not then where to registeration?

kinnom
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by kinnom »

tzombiek wrote:hope im in right topic.

way i cant login in https://mods.factorio.com/ ?
do i have to use there same username and password like on this forum? (i trying to use same) if not then where to registeration?
You have to use the same username and password from the main site
no yes yes no yes no yes yes

saturn7
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by saturn7 »

I would suggest that big/popular enough mods will get/retain their own subforum. At least until the mod portal functionality is significantly improved.

Especially for large modular mods (Bob's mods, Yuoki, Dytech etc.), the mod portal is extremely unwieldy. For example, Bob has 16 mods on the mod portal, and nobody really wants to go through them all to see how they combine.

Return to “This Forum”