Feedback

Replaces resource spawning system, so that the distances between resources are much bigger. Railway is needed then.

Moderators: orzelek, Dark

Ranakastrasz
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Feedback

Post by Ranakastrasz »

override_type = 'partially' -- 'full' - no spawns by game are allowed, 'partially' - very small patches are spawned by world gen

I looked at my First map I used resouce overhaul on, and checked the mod version. It was 1.0.2, Last version before the mod was abandoned. I looked at the code, and the definition files. I found the "Base" prototype definition file, and found this.

Code: Select all

if is_partial() then
  -- Leave small patches there is and there
Obviously, this was an intentional feature, and there is a config option to toggle it.
I looked at the latest version, and sure enough, it was disabled. So, I enabled it. Tested it. It doesn't work. Seeing as that file is missing in the latest version, I suspect it got taken out, possibly by accident.

I consider that feature rather critical to the mod, and would like it fixed, if possible.

Edit:
Managed to modify the mod successfully. I think.
have to set config options and Add that file in and the data file to reference it.

I am unsure how to make it so that

override_type = 'partially' 
Automatically sets

override_normal_spawn = false
So that it works correctly. Or the equivilent.

Lastly, I am unsure if the starting area will always have all the resources that are needed. I can't really figure out how vanilla spawning is overridden. The code is way beyond me.
Attachments
rso-mod_1.4.7.zip
(31.6 KiB) Downloaded 110 times
My Mods:
Modular Armor Revamp - V16
Large Chests - V16
Agent Orange - V16
Flare - V16
Easy Refineries - V16

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

I belive I wrote it somewhere just didn't remove it - this feature is not working and no longer supported. I'll clean it up for next version.

With partial setting there were small ore node piles additionally next to RSO spawns. With override set to false it was simply spawning normal and RSO resources at the same time which kind of defeats the mod purpose.

I'm not sure why you think this setting is so critical to mod functionality but currently I have no intention to bring it back.
Can you explain why it's so important to have tiny ore clumps all around the map? Or there is something else that RSO 1.0.3 (there is a v0.12.xx version of it around) does when using those settings thats cricital for it's role?

Ranakastrasz
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Ranakastrasz »

Well, aside from it being part of the mod orignally the first time I played, It ensures that you still have some of each resource as you move out, until you actually reach a large deposit, which is not always close enough to manage.
As it is normally, if you don't have the ability to explore large amounts of the map easily, like if there are lots of biters, it can be difficult to actually explore and find the large deposits.
My Mods:
Modular Armor Revamp - V16
Large Chests - V16
Agent Orange - V16
Flare - V16
Easy Refineries - V16

Arch666Angel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Arch666Angel »

Ranakastrasz wrote:Well, aside from it being part of the mod orignally the first time I played, It ensures that you still have some of each resource as you move out, until you actually reach a large deposit, which is not always close enough to manage.
As it is normally, if you don't have the ability to explore large amounts of the map easily, like if there are lots of biters, it can be difficult to actually explore and find the large deposits.
Isn't the whole purpose to make it more difficult and that you have to explore larger quantities of the map compared to vanilla? I dont see the reasoning in having more tiny shits of ore if you want to play a harder game. If you want a more diverse spawning of vanilla ores I suggest that you instead of brining back this "feature" create some variants of the vanilla ores, with each entity having a different setting for richness and size, e.g. one copper entity which is big and rich and one copper entity which is small and pure. Could implement this in my mod if requested.

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

From my point of view - main assumption is that you actually want to travel far for your resources when grabbing this mod.
If it's to difficult to get them there are various multipliers that can make it easier (or more difficult) like starting richness and global richness multipliers.

If you like to play on death world you need to take that into account as a risk - by deafult biters will leavy you quite a bit of space to search for resources.

I would also recommend one of radar mods like rso radar, strs, radar two or big brother. They should help in localizing the resource.

Draxinusom
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Draxinusom »

Early reports of RSO dying due to v0.13 providing similar features are premature :mrgreen:
factorio13firstmap.jpg
factorio13firstmap.jpg (80.67 KiB) Viewed 5038 times
Spawned map with all settings on default "medium".

TL;DR: RSO still "needed" in v0.13 if you care about resource spawning.

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

Currently I have some problems with getting RSO to work - old way of dropping resources from spawning doesn't seem to function for me.
Actually game is playing silly with me - control.lua runs but data-updates.lua is not loaded due to game stating mod is for factorio 12.

Draxinusom
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Draxinusom »

orzelek wrote:Currently I have some problems with getting RSO to work - old way of dropping resources from spawning doesn't seem to function for me.
Actually game is playing silly with me - control.lua runs but data-updates.lua is not loaded due to game stating mod is for factorio 12.
Hm I blindly patched the required variable into info.json and commented all "requires 'defines'" lines out. This loads and generates a map but crashes immediately afterwards. Also the map then is full of burrowed large worm sentries/towers.

I basically did this:

{
  "name": "rso-mod",
  "version": "1.5.6",
  "title": "Resource Spawner Overhaul",
  "author": "Dark, orzelek",
  "homepage": "https://forums.factorio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=4761",
  "contact": "Message me @ https://forums.factorio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=4761",
  "description": "Overhauls resource spawning system.",
  "factorio_version": "0.13.0",
  "dependencies": ["base >= 0.13.0", "? MAIN-DyTech-Machine", "? CORE-DyTech-Core", "? bobenemies", "? bobores", "? 5dim_ores"]
}

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

Yeah the worms were a tons of fun... bases also. Old method of preventing them from spawning doesn't work any more.
I have new one ready I think - just need to find where is the mod portal hidden and try to upload mod there.

Draxinusom
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Draxinusom »

orzelek wrote:Yeah the worms were a tons of fun... bases also. Old method of preventing them from spawning doesn't work any more.
I have new one ready I think - just need to find where is the mod portal hidden and try to upload mod there.
Uh I'm not sure if anyone can actually download from it at the moment. The download seems to start but it immediately throws a weird error and that was it.

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

Draxinusom wrote:
orzelek wrote:Yeah the worms were a tons of fun... bases also. Old method of preventing them from spawning doesn't work any more.
Uh I'm not sure if anyone can actually download from it at the moment. The download seems to start but it immediately throws a weird error and that was it.
Yeah just tried :D

New version up in downloads post.
Disclaimer: not tested throughly.

Draxinusom
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Draxinusom »

Works, thanks for that!

First feedback: I have one oil patch and 3 biter bases ontop of lakes. :shock:

Also generally I think biter density / count is far too high, but probably something in the base game as it seems to be that way with base game without any mods as well.

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

Draxinusom wrote:Works, thanks for that!

First feedback: I have one oil patch and 3 biter bases ontop of lakes. :shock:

Also generally I think biter density / count is far too high, but probably something in the base game as it seems to be that way with base game without any mods as well.
Yeah I noticed the oil problem - enemy bases would confirm my assumption - check if entity can be spawned fails to say it can't.
I'll need to post a bug report for this (might be tad far on the list looking at bug reports forum).

Draxinusom
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Draxinusom »

It's probably this: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=27167

Moasseman
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Moasseman »

Heyo.

Just here to note that the configurations for Bob's ores' "ground-water" and "lithia-water" are missing from the version 2.0.1 of RSO

McRib
Inserter
Inserter

Post by McRib »

Moasseman wrote:Heyo.

Just here to note that the configurations for Bob's ores' "ground-water" and "lithia-water" are missing from the version 2.0.1 of RSO
Yes me too it doesnt spawn when RSO is present please fix it. ;)

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

New version is up on mod portal.

ddejong
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by ddejong »

The fix for the ground-water and litha-water resources is incomplete; if both Bob's Mods and Angel's are being used, the presence of Angel's disables the Bob's section completely. The fix I'm using is to add a fillBobwaterConfig in bobsores.lua that has just the water parts of fillBobsoresConfig, and to have mainconfig.lua do:

-- BobOres
	if game.entity_prototypes["rutile-ore"] then
		fillBoboresConfig()
	elseif game.entity_prototypes["ground-water"] then
		fillBobwaterConfig()
	elseif game.entity_prototypes["5d-mining-drill-speed-1"] then
		fill5dimConfig()
	end

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

I released 2.0.3 with a bit simplier copy-paste fix of waters to angels config. I need to talk with Arch666Angel because that water might not actually be needed and he will disable it anyway. Angels's mods use their own resource as water source.

Arch666Angel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Arch666Angel »

orzelek wrote:I released 2.0.3 with a bit simplier copy-paste fix of waters to angels config. I need to talk with Arch666Angel because that water might not actually be needed and he will disable it anyway. Angels's mods use their own resource as water source.
That is indeed the case, have updated the mods to remove the water entities and a recipes with which you can get the lithia water from my thermal water resource.

Return to “Resource Spawner Overhaul”