Beltless train unloading station issue

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
Tixout
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Beltless train unloading station issue

Post by Tixout »

Hey guys,

I've played this game a lot in vanilla and i started lately to play with mods more specifically the Bob's Mod (I am also using warehouses and logistic rails)
I really like this mod because it adds a lot of complexity in every craft and makes production chains a bit more tricky to build optimally.

I am actually trying to build an unloading train station were ores are being unloaded into warehouses but i'm facing a problem. This one might have been already answered a lot of times here, but i could find any solution on the internet.

So, the point is to unload ores into warehouses, in order to inject them into the foundry (which will be built on the right of the station). Cargos are acting as provider chests and warehouses are requesting one type of item each. Then robots are doing their job. But now i want these items to be avaible in the foundry and i can't use them directly from the warehouses as these are requesters and robot cant pick them up to bring them somewhere else (as far as I know). So i'm stuck here.

Here is a screenshot of the actual station and i highlighted the place where the foundry would be.

I've come up with two ideas to solve this problem around the internet but none of these actually satify me.

The first one would be to use inserters to empty requesters warehouses into passive provider warehouses which would be in a diferrent logistic network to prevent robot to be stuck in an endless loop trying to empty providers into the requesters.

I don't really like this one because of the uses of inserters and belt. I'm not really handy with those and everything becomes spaghetti really quick. Also, as i'm using bob's mod, i'm going to use a LOT of warehouses as there is a wide variety of different ores in this game. As you can see on the screenshot, i can really line up more than 10 warehouses in this station.

So this solution would mean that i should rebuild my station more vertically and less horizontally. Also i dont really know how many different ores bob's offers and this station design is not really modular vertically (I means that i don't feel adding more warehouse because it would fuck up the whole design ^^ And i would like it to look nice and clean). This solution isn't really elegant and i won't use it unless i don't find another one.

The second one would be to use storage warehouses and active provider rails to make sure the cargos are emptied. I could use requester chests in the foundry to make the robot pick up items from storage and bring them. But as i dont really manage how much ores i produce (ore patches size varies), and how much is used, im afraid that one ore would create congestion and fill up warehouses, preventing the other ores to be distributed in the foundry.

If you guys know a different way to do it, or any mod that could help, i would be pleased to hear about it ! :)
(dont pay attention to rail signals, they are horribly placed because i suck at it, i'm working on it)

PS : English isn't my native language, i tried my best to stay understandable and not to hurt any grammar professional.
PS : I'm still in 0.12.35

Frightning
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Beltless train unloading station issue

Post by Frightning »

I have a beltless train station in my kilobase atm. I used active provider chests so that my bots would automatically unload the freshly delivered contents into my requestors or storage if the former are all full. Working pretty good, but I notice that the bots prefer the nearest chests, so the moment I my bots become overworked, some of the chests start to backlog, which eventually lowers throughput, though I have plenty of time to catch on and make more bots/ports.

Edit: To solve your problem and maintain the advantage of the close proximity of your storage buffer, try making a 2nd row of warehouses that act as providers, and put inserters between the requester row and provider row to move the goods into the provider warehouses (this is throughput limited to 3x inserters but at least you have stack size bonus helping you, and the new rapid inserter in 0.13 would make the throughput even better).

Nexela
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Nexela »

The easiest way to do this would be to change all of your requester warehouses into storage warehouses and prime them with a stack of items. Robots will prioritize dropping items into a storage container that already contains what they are carrying (depending on range). To keep your storage warehouses primed use a requester chest and smart inserter conected with circuit wire to your warehouse and put 1 of them item into the warehouse if it has less then 1.

[edit] Upgrade the chests that unload trains to active providers also

Tixout
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Tixout »

Frightning wrote:I have a beltless train station in my kilobase atm. I used active provider chests so that my bots would automatically unload the freshly delivered contents into my requestors or storage if the former are all full. Working pretty good, but I notice that the bots prefer the nearest chests, so the moment I my bots become overworked, some of the chests start to backlog, which eventually lowers throughput, though I have plenty of time to catch on and make more bots/ports.

Edit: To solve your problem and maintain the advantage of the close proximity of your storage buffer, try making a 2nd row of warehouses that act as providers, and put inserters between the requester row and provider row to move the goods into the provider warehouses (this is throughput limited to 3x inserters but at least you have stack size bonus helping you, and the new rapid inserter in 0.13 would make the throughput even better).
I went for something like this. Be problem is that the second row of warehouses must be out of the logistic network. So i had to space them a bit more so i'm using warehouse>inserter>belt<inserter<warehouse. But is should replace belts with chests to make use of the bonus of inserters between containers.

Nexela wrote:The easiest way to do this would be to change all of your requester warehouses into storage warehouses and prime them with a stack of items. Robots will prioritize dropping items into a storage container that already contains what they are carrying (depending on range). To keep your storage warehouses primed use a requester chest and smart inserter conected with circuit wire to your warehouse and put 1 of them item into the warehouse if it has less then 1.

[edit] Upgrade the chests that unload trains to active providers also
I've read about this one. But i like to play slow and my ores buffers usually get full really quick. With storage houses, once one will get full another one will start to get this new ore. And as i'm not producing equally nor using equally every ore, i'm afraid that i could break up the system a bit :/

kinnom
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by kinnom »

Tixout wrote: I've read about this one. But i like to play slow and my ores buffers usually get full really quick. With storage houses, once one will get full another one will start to get this new ore. And as i'm not producing equally nor using equally every ore, i'm afraid that i could break up the system a bit :/
That's what the circuit network is for.
no yes yes no yes no yes yes

Tixout
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Tixout »

kinnom wrote:That's what the circuit network is for.
Ho. I though the circuit network was only here to but back an item into the warehouse in case this one get empty. But does this prevent robots to put a different item into it if the warehouse of this item is full ?

kinnom
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by kinnom »

More like use the network to stop the the outposts from putting resources in the trains if you have too much
no yes yes no yes no yes yes

Return to “Gameplay Help”